Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-09, 07:07 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Who all Builds Rods ?

I am just curious as to who all builds rods , and how many have you built ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 07:32 PM   #2
WaffleJaw

Ive only built one rod so far,and repaired a second one....Waiting on the components in the mail to start the 2nd rod...Got the blank already.
In fact, While Im waiting,I just built a new rod building jig last night with some extra 1/2'' ply....Took about three hours..This was before I put on the wing nuts,washers, and springs for the thread tension,and havent applied felt in the grooves for the rod yet...But it works great!!,and only cost around $14 to make.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod jig.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	4427  
Old 11-03-09, 08:11 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've helped build three, but haven't done a whole one by myself yet. I really don't have the money to right now anyways.

BB
Old 11-03-09, 11:51 AM   #4
Abbeysdad

Forgive the intrusion....but when speaking of "building rods", what exactly is meant by that. I mean, I could be wrong, but it seems less likely one would really make a fiberglass rod blank. So are we talking about attaching line guides and a say cork handle to a pre-made fiberglass rod blank?
Old 11-03-09, 12:52 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Forgive the intrusion....but when speaking of "building rods", what exactly is meant by that. I mean, I could be wrong, but it seems less likely one would really make a fiberglass rod blank. So are we talking about attaching line guides and a say cork handle to a pre-made fiberglass rod blank?
Yes,...We order the blank and build,shape,wrap everything else by hand...
Most top dog manufacturers lay,cut and roll thier own graphite blanks and alot of them offer them for sale.All Star,Stcroix,Lamiglass,etc..Also,alot of these same big companies get thier blanks from outside companies...I read about a guy who made over 400 custom rods from Falcon,and said that they were they were just highend Rainshadow blanks....But that could be false...Just something I read on another forum.

Bigbassin- Your right about those Rainshadow blanks...They are very impressive..Im especially impressed with how fast they recover from shaking the tip.....Im very excited about this build.
Old 11-03-09, 01:30 PM   #6
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
No , I wanted to know who all spun their own fiberglass , and mixed up their own resin and hardner and actually made thier own blank , then shaped their own line guides and made ( from the tree ) their own cork handles.
Old 11-05-09, 06:52 PM   #7
3dkicker

Well I was fiddling around the other day in my chemistry lab in the basement working on a new graphite formula. I decided that using the new platelet graphite nanofibers was the best route for the rod I’ve been designing. If you want I can send you some more information about the process........
Old 11-05-09, 09:08 PM   #8
CMorg

ahahaha , fantastic. Maybe we can join forces and make our own brand..
Old 11-06-09, 04:39 PM   #9
3dkicker

Actually I've got a custom builder who I sell for at some of the shows I do. I have a custom Shikari 6'10" wrapped worm/jig rod that he built. It's very nice....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.