Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-11, 07:03 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Broke a rod yesterday

Yeah it happens - I hear all those nasty stories of KISTLER rods breaking, how easy it is to do it and the warranty isn't that great, and well, you know. It finally happened to me, darn rod snapped into THREE pieces. Musta be some bad manufacturering defect or something. WRONG!!!

I don't think there is a rod out there that will stand up to slamming a locker lid down on the tip. That's right - dumb arse operator error, MAJOR, BIG TIME. I was going out in the kayak yesterday morining and need a couple rods. It was dark, I was in a hurry, both bad contributers to disaster.

I had gotten two casting rods out of the locker and laid them on the boat deck and went to the other side to get a couple spinning rods out of the other locker. IT was dark, but I had a flashlight and I was in a hurry, so I got my two spinnning rods out and shut the lid........... but it didn't close, I lifted the lid, checked the latch and.......... CLOSED IT AGAIN right, it didn't close that time either. I swept the deck with the flashlight and, DAMMITTOHELL, my crankbait rod was lying across the forward corner of the locker, yep UNDER the lid. How did that happen? Now it's dark, I'm in a hurry and PIZZZED at my stupidity. But luckily - no more disasters.

Went fishing for a few hours, caught three keepers between 15" & 18", didn't upset the kayak and send all my tackle to the bottom of the lake, nor did I drown. Not such a horrible day, considering the beginning of it.

The very good news is that I was able to find a replacement on line - this rod (Kistler Argon 6'9" crankbait series) is getting difficult to find. It should arrive this week and I'll be back to full compliment of sticks.

Hopefully a lesson is learned. I don't usually lay rods out on the deck, unsecured, in the dark, but I was in a hurry and took a little shortcut, which was dumb and cost me. It's those little shortcuts that sneak around behind ya and bite ya on the butt, when you least expect it. I'm sharing this stupid trick with you all in the hopes you get a laugh - at my expense - and realize being in a hurry can lead to errors in judgement, and maybe you'll pause and think a moment, the next time you find yourself - IN A HURRY.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-14-11 at 12:06 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 07:45 AM   #2
lilmule

Yeah they happen ,but many of those are on ebay as closeouts for like $85.
The lid on an allison 2002 will fall and slam shut shearing them off easily-now how do I know this?
And it wasnt dark.
I gave up night fishing when I moved south,older and tired of checking for cottonmouths on the ramp,they also like to climb on boats so a yak is out of the question.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 08:41 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That sucks Bruce. But to teach your self a lesson, you should have made yourself buy another custom!

BB
Old 09-13-11, 12:12 PM   #4
nobass

feel for you my kitsler snap 3 weeks ago it was my worm rod. sucks don't it. broke two in the same day
Old 09-13-11, 04:39 PM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You must have been mimicking Doug and his pre-rod jacket techniques hahahahaha.
Old 09-13-11, 06:22 PM   #6
bamabassman

sorry bruce......but hey, look on the bright side. NOW you get to order a rod from bubba, jrob or one of the other FINE rod builders on this site. CHA-CHING!!!
Old 09-13-11, 07:31 PM   #7
islandbass

Man, that was painful to read. I too should have paused with regard to fishing earlier today. It cost me a fish and lure.
Old 09-13-11, 09:36 PM   #8
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

that sucks man i was fishing a spinner bait once from shore and get a catfish and pull it over the bank and my rod snaps i was really mad but i contacted the company and got my money back so i was not to mad
Old 09-13-11, 09:49 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

Not the post I wanna see from you Bruce!
That blows man...Ive been very lucky not to snap a rod with some of my fancy dumbsh!t moves....I know Ive caught my tips in just about every air vent at our house.

Glad to hear you got a replacement on the way!
Old 09-13-11, 11:12 PM   #10
keithdog

So sorry to hear about your rod Bruce. At the get together in AL this year I broke one of my crankbait rods into 3 pieces. Reading your post brought back bad memories about that! haha But, I have a better rod now than I broke, so all turned out fine in the end. I'm just glad it wasn't your new custom build!!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.