Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-08, 01:07 PM   #1
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Need help with fishing this area picture inside

OK,

This is just off a main lake and there is really no access to this section, short of carrying by hand, a small boat, or kayak. I rarely see people over there, but went down and fished it from shore last night.

I had on my potentially biggest bass of my life. Keep in mind I am in Michigan so a 4-6 lb bass is huge for up here. Two years ago I caught a 23.5 inch bass that was just over 4.5 lbs. Thought I might not get that chance again... last night I fought for 10 minutes a bass of at least the same size, and probably bigger.

I have never had a fish run like this bass did (even some of the bigger pike I have caught). I had him up to the edge of the ledge, but couldn't keep tension on the line and bend down to get him, as there was too much line out. So I went to reel in more line and he dove down, shook and was off. I had to sit down close to 2 minutes and get out of my fish shock!

So needless to say I want to get my fishing rigged kayak (depth finder, pole holders, etc) in over there, and fish the area. I snapped a picture on my cell last night. Here:

I caught a few smaller fish maybe 17-18 inches:

This is what I have for a topo map:
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDA.../LAKE_OVID.PDF

As you can see this is a man made lake, that was made by blocking off the little Maple river. This area is the inlet to the lake and the flows out of here and under the bridge into the lake.

The main river channel is at least 4-5 feet deep (on the side I want to fish) and may be a bit deeper in areas. I can get my kayak and depth finder in there possibly on Sunday to check out.

I picked up some extra buzz baits, but the weeds on the top water are too thick for them to work properly. I was fishing the channel with soft baits and produced the most luck. I ran weightless and wacky and kept switching colors... I actually am not even sure what color wa on when I had "the big one" on... Thats my mistake.

I will admit I am somewhat unfamiliar with weed types and all that fun stuff. That is where I am hoping I can get some guidance from the awesome forum members here.

So school me, I am most definitely willing to learn.

Last edited by Snake2715; 07-26-08 at 01:39 PM.
Snake2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 03:06 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd try some of the hollow-bodied floating frogs on those surface weeds. I'd also try some faster-moving soft plastics, such as one of the buzzing frogs or toads, or lures like Flukes and Senkos, letting them drop into holes and at the edges.

Regardless of what you're using, if a fish blows up through the mat and misses the bait, get a soft plastic into that newly created hole ASAP.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 03:29 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Up close, does those weeds look anything like this:

I cant quite tell what the weed/vegetation in the picture consists of. It looks a little like muck/algae, which makes spinnerbaits less of an option - if it is throw flukes, senkos, scum frogs and trick worms over the top.

If it is milfoil, hyrdilla or any other type of actual grass, spinnerbaits on the edges and texas rigged worms casted and pitched will also work very well in addition to the flukes, senkos and floating soft plastics.
Old 07-26-08, 08:58 PM   #4
Snake2715

I think it is an algea over top of a weed of some type. I will look closely at the weed and mabe get a shot or two of the plant. this green surface algea 9or whatever it is) is not always present.

Looking it could be hydrilla.

what are buzzing frogs? I do know my buzz baits were unable to operate on the top of that stuff.
Old 07-27-08, 12:32 AM   #5
WTL

I think he is talking about the Rage Toads. BigBassin showed me one at G'ville and they have a really great action in the water, looks like a buzzbait but of course doesnt have the blade to get fouled up. Algae can really foul a lure up and it changes what you can fish around it.
Old 07-27-08, 07:41 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Ok lemme give ya a quick lesson in SLOP fishing. Thats just about the only place I fish so I love it and know it.

First off you have to have stout equipment to fish areas like that. Get you some flukes,frogs (an assortment of types) and some jigs and of course do not forget the double willow leaf spinnerbaits. Maybe a small topwater or 2. Ok early am you fish the area's that are void of weeds. That area no matter what lake of where you are in the United States is the deepest water in the area. It will usually be void of cover so you have to fish it in low light times. Fish the topwaters and spinnerbaits then. Most of the time you will see some activity at those times in the open water. Now as the sun climbs the fish are gonna start to retreat back into the available cover. THEY WILL STILL HIT. You may or may not see activity. Now depending on how active fish where in the low light is a hint as to what to fish when the sun gets up. If they where chasing everything in the open water I definately pull out the frogs and flukes. They will continue to chase a bait when they scoot under the cover. If they where reluctant to chase a blade early go with a jig or heavy weighted craw or tube. Lots of pitches EVERYWHERE will be the key. Sometimes they want you to work it sometimes deadstick it. They will let u know. Experiment. One more key thing to remeber .............if you can follow the open water out to the main lake where it really opens up.........you have prolly found a HOTSPOT. Thats where you want to fish cranks., but thats a different post.
Old 07-28-08, 03:27 AM   #7
cassidyta

Well Damn. I thought I had some good advice on this one, but Laser nailed it. The only thing that I would add is to consider throwing braid. It will take the beating of the weeds and algae better than a mono. Jigs and going drop shot with a heavy weight would be my choice to break through. By heavy, I only toss out 1/2oz or greater when I am in that stuff. But the fish here get quite a bit bigger than your way. Might be hard to tell the more subtle bites. I think flukes drop shot well in those settings. They hold on a little better than most worms.In the really heavy stuff I will add a lighter line leader for the last foot of line. If you get too caught up, you will only be out a weight and not the whole rig. Plus, I have had times where the weight did it's job and got me under it, i lost the weight, but still got the strike If you just want to lure them to the few openings then frogs and snakes would be my choices.
I love to fish in spots like that. They are often unfished because too many people are intimidated by the setting.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you

TC
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 11:14 AM   #8
Bmuskin

I also love the slop I walk up in narrow arms of lakes and ponds and love fishing the slop from the bank. Strip pits from mining being a personal favorite. When it does warm up a bunch I seem to have great luck putting it right in front of their face. My personal choice is a wacky rigged weightless Senko. I just barely bury the hook. Let it skitter along over the top of the slop and when you hit a hole, and it may be very small. Stop let it drop down in and just twitch it every now and then. I love this and often they will hook themselves even on loose line.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 11:53 AM   #9
Snake2715

Ok guys. I have yet to get the small craft (ie kayak) out there.

I got the bug again on Sunday and went out. It is milifoil I do believe, with an algea on the surface that gets pretty thick in some areas.

I was limited to fish just off the road again and went in less than ideal conditions. I got there at 12 noon and stayed till about 3:30... I would have left soon given I had very few bites, and only landed one small bass (14-15 inches, some teeth on him though when I lipped him wow).

Then I was about an hour and a half into the outing and had really practiced throwing what was suggested here.. I had very rarely (read once) thrown jigs.. I had a few but they had not produced and therefore I had never taken the time to throw them again... so I was working a dark blue/purple one with a craw fish trailer (forget brand). And I had a serious hit. I was in a zone at that point and didn't set the hook correctly...

I was determined that it was "my" bass and I was going to get him. I dropped it down in again and started the pendulum motion across the channel and wham, I set the hook hard. I didn't get much fighting in before the monster surfaced... it was a very large musky. I mean in the 3 foot range and possibly a bit larger.

He just came up out of the dark kind of slowly and I once again about spoiled myself as it was not what I was expecting. Its the largest musky I have seen out in a long time. I stood up and started the fight. As soon as I stood up he decided it was time to go and turn and slowly swam off and snapped my fresh 8lb dia 30lbs test powerpro. It snapped up near my reel, I am guessing that is a drag issue on my end?

Like I said I was about to leave when he came around and I was then set for another hour seeing what else I could catch.. not much came from the day except a few lost lures under the bridge. One I hope I can get once I get the yak out there as its hooked on the underside of the bridge.

So a few questions, and maybe I should repost these separately.

If you get into a fish like I did that bass, and then the musky... whats the likeliness of them staying around, and attacking another bait? I have to imagine pretty slim but am unsure.

Also is there a proven pattern to a fish's migratory pattern.. what I am asking is the likeliness of a fish to come back to a spot common or is it more of a luck type issue?
Old 07-28-08, 12:44 PM   #10
cassidyta

QUOTE------------
So a few questions, and maybe I should repost these separately.

If you get into a fish like I did that bass, and then the musky... whats the likeliness of them staying around, and attacking another bait? I have to imagine pretty slim but am unsure.

Also is there a proven pattern to a fish's migratory pattern.. what I am asking is the likeliness of a fish to come back to a spot common or is it more of a luck type issue?

I have found that the chance of catching a fish a second time is dependant on the trauma from the first catch. If you got a clean hookset and then got him back into the water quickly, the fish may very well go after another lure. The more traumatic the experience, the longer out of the water, and the damage from the hook will lessen the chances of this. I can only speak on Bass because we don't have muskies out here.
The migratory patterns of all game fish will mimick those of the bait fish. They will move around the lake as they deplete their food source. They will return as this is always cyclic. The size of the lake will determine the cycle.
Old 07-28-08, 02:33 PM   #11
WTL

I don't know musky, but I have seen and experienced many case of hooking and losing a particular fish one day, then coming back to the same spot say 2 weeks later and hooking up with the same fish right there again. This was always bass, but we dont have musky - gvie it a shot though. You are getting bites one way or another.
Old 07-29-08, 03:17 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

DONT GIVE UP. THOSE 2 FISH belong to YOU. Patience and perserverince and you will hook up again. Thats what will hooj ya back up with those fish. THEY CANT go no where so all you gotta do is play the game right.
Old 07-29-08, 10:28 AM   #13
3dkicker

Bass will come back and eat baits right after missing. I caught two this weekend that I had set the hook on and missed.
The first hook set ripped the hook out of the fishes mouth. The second put him in the boat. I could see where the hook had torn out of his mouth when I was putting him in the livewell.
The other fish ate a toad and the braid broke on the hook set but I didn't feel any weight so I don't believe the fish was hooked. I turned around and put a worm in next to the laydown and the fish picked it up too. I think I culled a fish with him. No toad or hook in it's mouth.

Bass will come back and eat after breaking off too. Friend broke off a fish on a Senko. 20 minutes later I put the fish in the boat and removed the Senko and the hook. Another friend and his wife were fishing in a club tournament. He busted a fish off and she flipped her bait immediately in behind him. She set the hook, put the fish in the boat, and gave him his worm and hook back. He joked that half of that fish was his.
Old 07-30-08, 01:17 AM   #14
iowabass
BassFishin.Com Member

What has worked for me in a similar place is the Stanley Jigs Ribbit Frog, it is a buzz frog. I pick mine up at the local wal mart and they cost something like 3 bucks.
iowabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 10:02 AM   #15
Snake2715

Thanks guys, I am getting the yaks out there tonight. My buddy is really pretty excited as he has hooked up a few times over the weekend with a larger fish and failed to land it.

I will try to have my camera ready so that if I run into that musky I can report! Hopefully I land that bass or a relative of his.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.