Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-06, 12:15 PM   #1
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default guide to soft plastic jerkbaits

I thought this would help people who are interested in using these.

A GUIDE TO SOFT PLASTIC JERKBAITS

When Meriden, Connecticut bass angler and lure designer Herb Reed first envisioned a soft plastic bait that could be worked on the surface like a topwater bait and at shallow depth ranges like a jerkbait, even in his wildest dreams could he have imagined the excitement this new design would eventually create. Reed's Slug-Go was so unique and unlike anything most anglers had ever fished, that when it was first introduced to the angling community in March of 1990 many anglers scoffed at the thought of fishing with the odd looking bait. It certainly didn't take long, however, before innovative bass anglers discovered that this lure was extremely effective at enticing shallow oriented fish, especially those cruising the banks or feeding on the flats.

As tales spread about the effectiveness of this new bait the angling community swarmed tackle stores in search of what few packs were available. The immense popularity of the Slug-Go certainly did not go unnoticed by other manufacturers who soon began creating their own modifications of Reed's original concept. The Slug-Go, as well as other variations of this lure, can best be described as soft plastic jerk baits. These baits are most noted for their ability to entice shallow oriented bass, or those feeding or schooling near the surface. Many anglers have now perfected techniques and specialized rigging methods that enable them to probe deeper water with these baitfish imitating lures.

Although these baits are most commonly fished weightless, recent innovations now offer hooks with weights molded onto them, in addition to special weighted inserts, to better allow the baits to be worked in deeper water or to better stabilize them for a more rapid retrieve in shallow water. Now more than six years after its introduction, there aren't many anglers that have not tempted bass with the Slug-Go, or other versions of these soft plastic jerkbaits that have since been introduced the angling community.

A host of anglers, however, are still unsure of the numerous rigging techniques and the multitude of applications that these baits offer. "Baits like the Slug-Go are so effective because of their unpredictable or random action," points out Bassmaster Tournament Trail competitor Todd Cronic, 27, of Woodstock, Georgia. "This is one of the primary reasons why they consistently catch fish when other lures fail to do so. Most of the wood or hard plastic baits we use are very mechanical in their action, certainly the opposite of the hapless, erratic action that one observes of an injured or fleeing baitfish. "When bass are actively feeding, just about any lure will tempt them. However, when they are negative or neutral, I want a bait that offers a more realistic action. That's when I turn to a soft plastic jerk bait like the Slug-Go. The only modification I will make to the bait is to insert a rattle, such as the new Mega Rattle by Ultra Strike. I think it might be an attractor that makes bass take notice of the bait as it darts by a brushpile, rock or stump."Rigging Techniques To maintain the unpredictable action of the soft plastic jerk baits, one must rig them properly . The hook, whose exposed portion acts similar to that of the keel on a sailboat, keeps the lure properly balanced as it darts through the water. Weighted hooks, such as the Mustad Needle Power Lock models, further enhance the keel effect, keeping these baits swimming horizontally like a baitfish.

In most instances, anglers will rig the bait using the basic Texas rig. Because many of these soft plastic jerkbaits demonstrate a slightly bulky profile, several of them offer a small groove or slot on one side to allow anglers to fish with the hook point exposed, although protected, for a better hook up to strike ratio. Lunker City Specialties refers to this rigging technique as Tex-posing the hook. "Since these lures are virtually weedless, they can be retrieved through the type of cover that would be virtually impossible to work a treble hook laden plastic or wood jerkbait through," points out Cronic. "I believe their soft plastic composition makes them very appealing. They are seldom rejected once a bass has decided to strike it. In fact, it's difficult, in many instances, to take these baits away from aggressive bass, especially smaller ones that you simply want to shake off."

Equipment
Popular B.A.S.S. touring pro Shaw Grigsby, of Gainesville, Florida, believes that when fishing soft plastic jerk baits in excess of six inches in length, stiff rods, such as a 6-1/2 foot medium heavy Quantum Tour Edition casting rod, are preferred. Since the effectiveness of these baits is related to their lifelike, random action, the stiff rod will actually enhance the performance of this action. "The stiff rod will not load when the bait is pulled forward during the wrist snap," says Grigsby, a regular qualifier of the Bass Masters Classic World Championship. "It is after the bait is jerked forward by the stiff rod that it then exerts its erratic action In other words, the most unpredictable action of the bait occurs on the pause - in between twitches of the rod tip "Occasionally, you want a predictable action when fishing the soft plastic jerk baits, such as when using a walk-the-dog retrieve on the surface. However, it's usually when the bait produces its random action that it seems to be most appealing to bass. I find that I get most strikes when I let the bait fall into holes of vegetation or let it erratically descend within a shallow brushpile."

When working smaller versions of these baits, anglers may find it easier to rely on medium to medium/heavy spinning tackle. This tackle better allows the angler to make long casts when using lighter versions of the soft plastic jerk baits or floating worms. When working baits in excess of six inches, line size ranging from 17 to 25 pound test is preferred, especially if working these baits around heavy cover. When fishing smaller baits, 10 to 14 pound line is suitable. Hooks and Accessories Many anglers proficient with these baits prefer an offset shank worm hook, believing that the soft plastic bait will be more firmly anchored to this type of hook. Teflon coated hooks, such as those manufactured by the Easy Set Hook Company, are favored by many anglers as they appear to better glide through the thick plastic baits and penetrate the tough jaw structure of a bass.

Another important factor is the gap of the hook. A hook that offers a wide gap can be more effectively Tex-posed than a standard gap hook. Another hook option for the angler is to use the Shaw Grigsby HP hook, one that locks the bait on the hook. Although it does not possess an offset shank, it offers an extremely wide gab and holds the bait securely by a clip mechanism. Other anglers favor the stern weighted Mustad needle power lock hooks. These hooks offer a barb to pierce into the head of a soft plastic jerk bait and a weight molded onto the shank of the hook near its bend. "The stern weighted hook causes the bait to be retrieved in a horizontal attitude," says Bruce Benedict a frequent B.A.S.S. tournament competitor and lure designer from Forney, Texas. "I never use a weight forward hook on these baits because I don't want the bait to follow its nose. Baitfish who follow their nose when swimming have a purpose and appear to be swimming in a healthy fashion. Baitfish that fail to follow their nose when swimming are either injured or disoriented. This is the purpose of stern weighting the baits."

Bait Colors
Very few baits come in such an outrageous array of colors as the soft plastic jerk baits. These bright colors do not appear to repulse fish and serve the purpose of allowing anglers to carefully observe the baits during a retrieve. In clear water, many anglers, however, do prefer natural shad type colors. In off colored water, anglers might want to consider a bright color such as merthiolate, hot pink or highway stripe yellow. "I think color may make a difference when you're fishing a school of bass busting shad," advises Grigsby. "Why not fish a bait that will best duplicate the natural color of the available forage. This is when I use shad colors and forgo the more brightly colored baits."

Slug-o Type Lures
When fishing baits such as the Slug-Go, Mann's Shadow, Berkley Power Slug, PRADCO'S Sling Shot, Jawtec Chatterbox, Guido's Scatter Shad and Bass Assassin Shad Assassin, the most exciting aspect of these baits is that you will be able to observe the majority of the strikes. "I believe that the key to the success of these soft plastic jerk baits," offers Benedict, "is that they can be worked across the surface, or allowed to descend or suspend a foot or two below the surface, a depth where may shallow water oriented bass tend to cruise, especially during the spring and fall months. "On many occasions, I have observed bass honing in on a floating hard plastic or wood topwater bait, only to nudge it, but never aggressively strike it. For some reason, bass can be hesitant about breaking the surface to strike a floating bait. When working the soft plastic jerk baits you can alter your speed or retrieval depth to reflect the mood of the fish."

Retrieval Techniques
When retrieving these baits it is important to remember to avoid imparting a mechanical action to them. An exception to this, however, is when you are using the walk-the-dog retrieve. The most common retrieve is to keep the rod tip pointing towards the water. This serves to keep the line out of the wind and allows you to work the bait unimpeded by slack line. Use six inch sharp snaps of the wrists to retrieve the bait.

When the fish are aggressively attacking the bait on or near the surface, you'll be astonished of how many strikes you'll observe, so keep the bait within site during the entire retrieve. "Initially, try letting the baits flip across the surface like a wounded shad," says Todd Cronic,"especially if you are fishing a school of feeding bass or shad fleeing at the surface. If the fish are hesitant about taking the bait on the surface, work it about one to three feet deep, a depth where you can still visualize the bait. I find this to be the most effective retrieve and depth range. I don't do anything fancy, I just snap the wrist and pause, snap the wrist and pause. The only real alteration is the speed in which I retrieve the bait. Sometimes they want to chase it, other times call for you to work it slowly, literally tantalizing the fish with the erratic action."

If the fish are deeper, you may elect to fish the stern weighted hooks from Mustad or the Lunker City insert weights. The inserts are either pierced across the body of the bait and then clipped so that no portion of the insert remains outside the baits or inserted near the bend of the hook to make them stern weighted. "Weighted soft plastic jerk baits are useful when you want to retrieve them rapidly or when working them in a current," offers Shaw Grigsby. "Typically, a rapid retrieve of an unweighted bait will cause it to dart out of the water. Sometimes, you're looking for this type of action. In other cases, you want the baits to work just under the surface. The weighted baits, either through the insert weights or weighted hooks, will move fast, but will stay in the water.An unweighted bait in current will usually hold near the surface and not sink. In many instances, you want the baits to descend a foot or two when working in current."

Floating Worms
Although the technique of working unweighted plastic worms across the surface was practiced as far back as 35 years ago, there has been a recent resurgence in these baits, especially after several wins at national level tournaments in the past few years.The two most popular versions are the Trick Worm, designed by Ed Chambers of the Georgia based Zoom Bait Co., and the Danny Joe Original Floater worm, designed by 1988 B.A.S.S. Federation Champion Danny Joe Humphrey for Carolina Fish and Fur of Kinston, N.C.

When initially learning how to fish floating unweighted worms, it probably is best to rig it Texas style. As one becomes proficient with the floating worm, you may want to experiment with various rigging modifications, including fishing it wacky style by hooking it through the egg sac or center of the worm. "I always recommend fishing the floating worm on spinning gear," says Danny Joe Humphrey. "It will afford you greater distances on the cast, so you can avoid spooking shallow fish. It can also be more effectively skipped beneath objects, such as boat docks and overhanging trees when using the spinning gear." According to Humphrey, probably the number one problem novice anglers have when working floating worms is that they set the hook as soon a they feel the strike or see the fish take the baits. He advises hesitating a few seconds to allow the fish to inhale the bait and start swimming away with it. "The floating worm is something that many fish really haven't been exposed to," he offers. "It is an extremely subtle, natural moving bait, much thinner than the larger soft plastic jerkbaits on the market.

Sometimes you may require a more subtle appearing bait, especially when the bite is off, or perhaps when fishing for smallmouth or spotted bass. "If you take a wood or hard plastic topwater or stock bait and cast it towards a shallow oriented bass or piece of fish-holding cover in 6 to 12 inches of water, the bass will, in most instances, become startled by the commotion and quickly flee. The Floating worm can be tossed right on the nose of a shallow bass without spooking him."

Consider soft plastic jerkbaits and floating worms this season. There are very few techniques in bass fishing that are as exciting as watching a five pounder delicately pluck the bait from near the surface, then determining if he's had it long enough for you to set the hook.
Sources for Soft Plastic Jerk baits, Floating Worms and Accessories:
Yamamoto
Perhaps the best plastic bait maker for Smallmouth Bass.
Berkley Power Slug, c/o Berkley Outdoor Technologies Group, One Berkley Drive, Spirit Lake,
Iowa 51360
Chatterbox, c/o Jawtec Worms, Inc., P.O. Box 1181 Forney, TX 75126 (214) 552-9344
Guido's Scatter Shad, c/o Luck "E" Strike USA, P.O. Box 578, Cassville, MO 65625
Herb Reed's Insert Weights, c/o Lunker City Fishing Specialities, Box 1807, Meriden, CT 06450
Mega Rattle, c/o Ultra Strike Lure Co., P.O. Box 12726, Charleston, S.C. 29422, (803) 795-6220
Mustad Needle Power Lock Hooks, c/o O. Mustad & Son Inc., Auburn, N.Y. 13021
Shad Assassin, c/o Bass Assasin Lures, Mayo, Florida 32066
Shadow, c/o Mann's Bait Co., 604 Sate Docks Road, Eufaula, AL 36027
Shaw Grigsby's HP Hook, c/o Luck "E" Strike USA, P.O. Box 587, Bassville, MO 65625 (417)
847-3158
Sling Shot, c/o PRADCO, P.O. Box 1587 Fort Smith, AR 72902
Slug-Go, c/o Lunker City Fishing Specialities, P.O. Box 1807 Meriden, CT 06450
Trick Worm, c/o Zoom Bait Co., 1581 Jennings Mill Road, Bogart, Georgia 30622

I know it is long,but a lot of info .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.