Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-05, 01:42 AM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Lure Tweaks

I posted this on another forum but with different folks on each one figured I'd post it here, too. Just wondering what kind of tweaks y'all use on your baits. Off the top of my head I always spray paint my worm sinkers flat black and with a bait like a Zara Spook I add a split ring to the hooks to help eliminate the leverage that can allow a fish to throw the hook.
Old 11-10-05, 05:57 AM   #2
zooker

lol where should i start ummm -i anit got all day ..

zooker
Old 11-10-05, 06:34 AM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are alot of lures I modify. Putting quality hooks on ratLtraps is important, trailer hooks on spinnerbaits, cut jig trailers to different profiles, dye baits, add scent to everything even if it is already scented.use suspend dots on baits,especially jerkbaits. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-05, 08:08 AM   #4
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Trailer hooks on my spinnerbaits
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-05, 08:25 AM   #5
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm with Zooker......lol......

Will be posting from time to time on that one!!!
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-05, 08:29 AM   #6
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

When adding action to swimming grubs....

Bubby rig the grub by using wide gap hook with a splitshot crimped on the hook in the middle of the hookshank underneath. Tinker with various sized weights to get the most action. The weight underneath will swing from side to side and make the head have action as well as the body and tail...you also get a very nice horizontal fall on the drop with the tail helicoptering on the way down.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-05, 08:56 PM   #7
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

uummm im gonna have to go with zooker on this one too
Old 11-12-05, 12:43 AM   #8
harlan07
BassFishin.Com Member

Post Rapala Long Cast Minnow

I like to take a red sharpie marker and mark up bleeding gills on my Top Dog Mirrolures (a saltwater surface walker). I have found my saltwater topwaters to be very effective. They have a different pitched rattle than the Zara spooks or Rapala topwaters.

I also took a Catch 5 Mirrolure (designed to look like a saltwater Pogey, but also resembles a Bream) and put a few black dots on the tail. It suspsends very well in the freshwater and I have taken some nice fish on it.

I also like to put red hooks on some lures. It seems to draw strikes at times when nothing else will.

I have also taken a saltwater popping cork (called a Speckulizer) (designed to fish a plastic shrimp) and put a Rapala count-down under it and caught some nice fish. It works well because it has beads that slide on a steel leader, it makes snapping sound. Its designed to sound like shrimp flipping on the surface, but evidently bass like it too!

People think I'm nuts for fishing my saltwater lures (designed for saltwater density), but I have caught more fish on Mirrolures than Rapalas. They have slightly diffrent profiles, but the action is more erratic. The water

My next experiment will be to free line a modified plastic shrimp, see if i can fool them into thinking its a crawfish.

I also have a Rapala long cast minnow that lost its plastic lip. THe lure is worthless (it wouldn't dive down). My dad drilled a hole in the tail, put a 1/16" oz. lead weight in it, and now it walks the dog under the surface, and falls very slowly when you pause. I't will be very versitile, as you can cover all areas of the water column. Ii'm going to try it tomorrow and see how it does.
harlan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 11:14 AM   #9
zooker

nope dude you aint crazy. i prefur to use salt water tackle at times. i know that in lower ga and fl they have fresh water shrimp-most less than 1"- i don't know if a red fish type bait wold catch bass. but try it and let us know how it works out..

ever use a gotcha plug as a jerk bait?? i have it works..

zooker
Old 11-12-05, 06:41 PM   #10
Joe_S.

One thing I like to do is take one of my beavits and cut the middle flappers length wise leaving a thin piece of plastic on each side, I think it looks more like the antenna that way and makes it a little less bulky of a bait in clearer water.
Old 11-13-05, 06:49 PM   #11
lizardsrule

The best working modification I have personally done is take some flat black spray paint, and paint my Jitterbug completely black hooks and all. I have so much confidence in this bait at night, I rarely use anything else, and it has caught some real Hawgs for me here in Indiana. Can't wait to try the Musky Jitterbug painted just like this when I'm in Florida, watch out BIG Bass here I come.

Lizards
Old 11-16-05, 12:57 PM   #12
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Harlan I'm gonna try saltwater gulp shrimp for freshwater this week. Will let you know how I do. Also what kind of saltwater fish do you target.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 01:33 PM   #13
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

I like to replace the trebel hooks on cranks with a single red one.
cut off the bottom bend on the trebel hooks on minnows and divers and some cranks. this lets the rest of the hook fit flush against the body less hang ups
add scents that I make at home
use red marker to add color to skirts on spinner and buzz
I also use saltwater lures for fresh water
I also use popcorn as an attactant on some hooks, sometimes it works
I have a 9 inch black bomber A, that has been beat up, I removed the hooks and used it as a practice weight to teach scouts to baitcast. Needless to say it had some deep holes in the body and a broken lip, I took black GULP! nightcrawlers, broke them into small pieces and glued the pieces into the holes of the lure, leaving the little fingers sticking out of the body. They gave off some neat vibrations when retreived. Had some good bites, but needed to replace the fingers often. I think I need better glue.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.