Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-05, 09:10 AM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Spinnerbait Size

What size of spinnerbait do you guys prefer for fishing a 50 - 75 acre reservoir with a lot of rip rap. I have caught many a 5 lber in this res off of cranks and plastics but never on a spinnerbait. There was even a 9.5 lber caught there last spring. Thanks

Ryan
Old 11-16-05, 10:25 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I usually go with a 3/8 chartruse and white, with a #4 willow and colorado, with a kalins grub behind it, lemon chafoune (white an chartruse)
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 10:31 PM   #3
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm with JB on this one.
Old 11-17-05, 03:12 AM   #4
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I say try some different sizes...find out what size the fish there like. you can't go wrong testing things out to find what works.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-05, 07:10 AM   #5
lizardsrule

JB is a ****ing Genius again LMAO. I pretty much use the same, a chart/wht double bladed spinnerbait 3/8 oz. I do however prefer a single tail grub(your choice of brand) that is clear/chart as a trailer though

Lizards
Old 11-17-05, 08:38 AM   #6
River stumps

Got to go with the 3/8 chart/white. Exceptions. windy and rough water, I bump up to a half oz. Always use a trailer.
Old 11-17-05, 09:19 AM   #7
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

I go with Ken on this one..... Different sizes can be the key.....also different looks.... for example, one of the most successful combos on the reservoir above ours is a small tandem silver bladed willoleaf with a chartreuse head minus the skirt entirely.......simply remove it and replace it with a 3 inch smoke and silver glitter grub......works both on smallmouth and walleye. I think 1/8 oz is the size, but try a 1/4 as well.

Something else I just heard from a friend....the diameter of wire can make a difference in action of the lure itself.....a thinner wire lets the whole lure vibrate, especially when using colorado blades....just one of the seldom mentioned variables......may or may not hold water, but some do believe in it.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-05, 05:34 PM   #8
Fish2win

Match the blade size to the current bait, Match the blade type to the activity level of the bait and match the weight to the depth you want to fish. They are all different tools that have exact applications. I use 1/4 to 1 oz sizes for different situations. Screw Driver , Hammers and wrenches come in different sizes for different reasons also.Fish2win
Old 11-20-05, 07:28 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

IMO I ahve found the rule of thumb to be correct like Fish2win has stated. Fall fishing means the bait has had a year to grow,therefore I use a larger spinnerbait in the late summer and fall than I use in the spring. In the spring I use the smaller spinners cause there is a abundance of smaller baitfish around. Something for you to think about.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 09:10 AM   #10
Fishie

I would use a booyah pond spinnerbait in white and switch out he blade with a regular willow leaf off another spinnerbait. Also I would get some cheapies at walmart for fishing cover so you are not afraid to lose them. Get some stanelies. They kick bass.
Old 11-20-05, 09:21 AM   #11
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258
What size of spinnerbait do you guys prefer for fishing a 50 - 75 acre reservoir with a lot of rip rap. I have caught many a 5 lber in this res off of cranks and plastics but never on a spinnerbait. There was even a 9.5 lber caught there last spring. Thanks

Ryan
If you have never caught a bass on a spinnerbait, were you fishing one ? There is some degree of knowledge needed to properly use a spinnerbait. I am not very efficient day in and day out with them like alot of people here are, but I know that a heavier line,15-17 lb test on a reel that has a slower line retrieve works better for me. If you only have Largemouth I recommend using a grub trailer on the spinnerbait, but if you have smallmouth bass present as well eliminate the trailer and you will catch more smallmouth bass than you would with a trailer.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 09:58 PM   #12
Christopherkeene9

Really PNJ, I've caught more largies without a trailer than with one. How does that work?? More info need for my knowledge bank of fishing.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 10:22 PM   #13
pig n jig

Chris, I don't know why , but I have noticed that a trailer works better here for largemouth than it does without a trailer.I don't use a grub, I use the Manns brand trailer or a Burke trailer, but I think a grub would work as well. You will have to ask some one that knows more about spinnerbaits than I do to get the correct answer. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 10:46 PM   #14
Christopherkeene9

The trailer I was using was called a bubba's jig grub (local company) It looked better when slowed rolled do to the tail action slower.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 11:27 PM   #15
lizardsrule

I believe a spinnerbait is better with a trailer of some sort. Could be it gives the bass a better target? I do fish different colors and sizes, but 80% it's what JB posted. Some good insights here though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.