Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-07, 10:26 AM   #1
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Which boat to buy?

Hey guys, new to forum here and looking to buy my first bass boat. Looking to spend about 3k on a used boat to fish mostly lake allatoona here in georgia for recreation only no tournaments. First off I know nothing about boats, just what I hear. I have found two boats that sounds like what Im looking for, just cant decide on which one I should get.
The 1st boat is a 1986 15ft Skeeter with a 50 hp mercury which just recenty had the carb cleaned, and motor maintenced, power tilt trim, livewell,trolling motor ect.. The boat is actually my wifes aunts boat so it has been in the family awhile, I havent seen the boat yet because its up at cherokee lake in tennesee but from what her dad says its been covered the whole time and well taken care off. They are asking $2000.00 which sounds like a decent deal to me, what do you guys think?
The next boat I found is a 1988 17ft astroglass bass boat with a 120 hp evenrude with all the the extras, been garaged kelped, ready to take to the lake. Asking price of this boat is $3000.00. The guy said it was a good looking boat but had one soft spot in floor next to drain, but not bad. He is out of town til moday so I cant look at it til then. But from what Ive told you which boat would you go after, the bigger one with the 120 evenrude for 3000 or the family owned skeeter with a 50 mercury for 2000? Logic tells me the bigger two year newer boat for a little extra money but also Ive heard good things about skeeter boats and It has been in the family.
The skeeter boat is not even for sale yet but they said that they would sell it to me now because they had talked about selling it, so im not worried about that boat selling. The other boat on the other hand wont last long Im sure so I gotta act pretty quick. Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
atlfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 04:21 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Soft floor anywhere doesn't sound good. I would check that boat out thoroughly before paying anything for it.

Lizards
Old 03-09-07, 05:32 PM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Always a great idea to inspect any boat & trailer fully before buying, whether or not the bigger boat is the better boat, well, only a test run would tell you that. Be like a nazi and check all papers on any boat before you buy, make sure they are current and in the name of the person selling you the boat. I like the skeeter brand myself, had one for almost 10 years, a very nice stable boat that ran like a champ, as long as I kept it off the speed bumps on the way to the ramp....
There's a long story there, but I won't put you all thru that today.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.