Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-08, 03:46 AM   #1
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default p line

i just got a revo s and lined it with 15# pline cxx and this stuff is stiff as a board. i put all of the brakes on and adjusted the spool to where the lure(1/2 jig) just barely falls and it still makes a ugly nest when i cast. i am not new to baitcasters but this is my first time using floro and so far i am not happy with it. do you think it just needs to be broke in or am i doing something wrong. also when reeling up the slack after moving my jig it doesn't go onto the spoll tight it loops up causing more problems. any ideals?
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 05:20 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1. Your line was twisted when spooling your reel up.tie a swiveled weight and an area big enough to let the line back off your reel and then reel it back on .The swivel will remove the majority of the twist.

2. P-Line XX is not a fluorocarbon line.Its is a copolymer line. CXX extra strong is some stiff line but with a little use , it became one of the better lines I have ever used.Xtra Strong is sort of an understatement, it's super strong string.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 09:43 AM   #3
mont_lunker_hunter

Where did you get the line? Sometimes places like Wal-Mart will have 5 year old stuff on the shelf.
Old 12-02-08, 10:14 AM   #4
jmartin

I run 20 pound p-line in my casters and no trouble with birdnests unless I try to skip under a dock. LOL
Old 12-02-08, 11:53 AM   #5
Fish2win

I agree wareagle, Try Suffix. More limp, great knot strength and great tensil strength. Fish2win
Old 12-02-08, 03:48 PM   #6
Raul

P-Line CXX is as stiff as a rope, coils like a spring, has more memory than a pack of elephants, however itīs ridiculously strong and abrassion resistant, one of the best lines Iīve ever fished with in highly abrassive environments that would tear other lines with ease in an eyeblink, the donīt name it eXtra, eXtra strong for nuthin.

The problem here is that you simply got the wrong poundage for the reel, with copolymer lines like P-Line CXX you donīt need 15 lb test, with 8-10 lb test you have more than enough muscle to horse a fish out of practically any cover, heck I uprooted and hauled a 20 pound stump with 12 pound test and the line didnīt even cough.

With lines like CXX the thinner the better in the user friendliness department ( less prone to over runs, less memory, less coiling ) without having to sacrifice strength.

If what you want is a friendly line then CXX is not for you, if what you need is a tuff as nails line then CXX is for you just donīt over do it, you very seldomly "need" 15 lbs test.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 06:27 PM   #7
jig fisherman

I tried flouro once and didn't like, I prefer braid and mono
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 06:30 PM   #8
Jim80

I use 20 lb fluoro on my baitcasters with no problems , get a line conditioner it helps .

Jim
Old 12-02-08, 08:29 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

don't waste your money...... i have used it all and NONE of it is worth a dam...

zooker
Old 12-02-08, 08:56 PM   #10
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I tried PLine CXX 12 lb test this past spring on one of my baitcasters, and hated the stuff. Just too stiff. I much prefer 30 lb Power Pro or Sufix Braid with a leader.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:31 PM   #11
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

You should try Stren High Impact lo-vis green, not only is it stiff, it curls too - just like a phone cord in 12 & 15# w/swivel.

I'll just stick with Big Game 12# on a ABU Garcia 4600C3 baitcasting reel, 5' 6" Conolon medium action IM7 graphite rod.
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:08 AM   #12
wareagledc

alright i got mad and cut this flex cord off my reel. i went back to cajun line for now and will be putting braid back on it in a few weeks. i don't see how anyone uses this stuff unless you keep it tightlined all the time it curls up and gets tangled on my guides. thanks for the tips but it just isn't for me.
Old 12-03-08, 11:30 AM   #13
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

p-lines great line, but it does have a memory.

Strong and abrasion resistant.

You have to 'install' the line correctly onto a reel. For a spinning reel, Berkely always has an insert in their line that describes how to do it. Kinda line rolling up a garden hose, if you dont do it right, it goes all over.

If you find your pline unruly, then let out most of the spool into water with no bait. In river, let the current take it, in lakes, drop into water and use the trolling motor to pan out line. Then about 1/2 way between the reel seat and stripper guide, apply light preassure and reel back in. This will avoid twists in the line for the next 100 casts or so. Then repeat when it gets twisty from memory again.

I've moved away from p-line and now use either Mean green or Gamma, Tectan for mono. Will use braid, but only for toothy critters when throwing expensive japanese baits.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:58 AM   #14
Lancer6

For throwing spinnerbaits and large TW, especially in "rough terrain", CXX is hard to beat.
If not using braid then I feel our friend would have been better served by using P-Line FloroClear (no "u"), a premium mono with a fluorocarbon sheathing that reduces abrasion, slightly reduces visibilty, and features a smaller diameter per pound test than CXX, all of which equals better manners.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 01:20 PM   #15
BassAddict

I won $600 in a tournament flipping a jig on the James River with 17# CXX. I'm not crazy about the stiffness either but it did the job that day. I pulled a 3 and a 4 lber out of a tree that day with no problems. Now... in saying all that... I do the same thing with 17# XPS fluorocarbon line and it's a little better to manage. I also like 20# FloroClear. I mainly fish rivers with old sunken barges and alot of crap that will destroy your line.
Old 12-04-08, 02:59 PM   #16
wareagledc

alright i can't figure out what i did. i decided to try the pline again and put it on my spinning reel. i whatched the video that kevin did and and had my line and reel turning in the same direction when the reel was upsidedown. after spooling about 100 yards i stoped to mark it and as soon as i let go of the line it shot of the reel like a slinkey.
Old 12-04-08, 03:03 PM   #17
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagledc View Post
alright i can't figure out what i did. i decided to try the pline again and put it on my spinning reel. i whatched the video that kevin did and and had my line and reel turning in the same direction when the reel was upsidedown. after spooling about 100 yards i stoped to mark it and as soon as i let go of the line it shot of the reel like a slinkey.

Next time.

Put the spool face down on the ground. Turn the reel 10-15 complete revolutions. Stop. Grab up the line and hold the two pieces together. If they tangle like no tomorrow, flip the spool over, and try again.

edit. Dont get me wrong, I'm not advocating p-line. It's good stuff, but I dont buy it anymore because I discovered mean green and gamma is much more forgiving.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 04:14 PM   #18
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagledc View Post
Most probably you spooled the line in the opposite direction it should be spooled, no problem, fill in your spool, make use of the line holder in the spool when you are done, now in dip your reel spool in very hot water for a 15-20 min, that creates a new memory in the line, the way itīs spooled in the reel.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 05:21 PM   #19
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

for copolymer lines, P-Line fluoroclear is my favorite. I've never tried CXX. Try a line conditioner though, KVD line and lure works great, I didn't believe in that stuff till I tried it.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.