Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-07, 02:15 PM   #1
X_Hellgrind_X
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to X_Hellgrind_X
Talking my pond problem....

hey peeps,yes i jus joined like 5 min ago but i need help...ive been fishing in this small pond next door....ive fished there for about 2 in a half yrs....i hardly get anything....and believe me there is fish in there....i got one of em in my freezer a 8 lb bass...and the last time i cought sumthing was huge atlest a foot and a half... but i only got to c its belly when it jumped..then my line broke.....but anyway....i cant catch anything now...what shuld i use?....the water is murky by the way.

thx
alex
X_Hellgrind_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 07:00 PM   #2
pbnstevo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to pbnstevo

Might want to make that legible.
Old 03-07-07, 08:38 PM   #3
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Murky... Check
Cold... Check
No bites... Check
This article has it all
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...ctType=article
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 09:56 PM   #4
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

why keep an 8 lb bass? the only bass i keep are in the 12-17 inch range no bigger than 20 ever, if your just gunna eat it then release it but if your gettin it mounted its another thing, but if you just let it sit there and not do anythign with it im gunna fish you and put you in my freezer :P
Old 03-07-07, 11:00 PM   #5
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

Let's see. You have hept the fish from the same pond for 2 1/2 years. Bass take a long time to get big. You haven's caught anyhing because you keep the fish. Think about your family tree. Take one person out near the top, and it is destroyed. It is kind of like that with bass. The more you keep, the less there are to reproduce, untill there aren't any. Why did you keep an 8 pound bass just to freeze it? That fish has "big fish genes" and could have led to some monsters in your pond. Stop eating them, and maybe they will come back. It will take a very long time for your pond to recover as it is.
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 03:08 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am assuming that maybe that big bass is in your freezer because you found out that it was expensive to get it mounted and are waiting until you have the money? purely speculation but i can't think of another reason...replicas are about the same price and last longer. then that 8 lb. bass that you caught 2 years ago may weigh 9 lbs. today and spawned out how many other potentially giant bass in the mean time? like everyone else said, if you want to keep fish to eat fine, but don't keep fish that are crucial to the eco system in the body of water. now by the same token chances are that taking one big bass didn't kill that pond, i would say just keep after it and be wiser next time should you stick a toad, snap a few pics and take the measurments let her go.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 04:45 PM   #7
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandflyfisher View Post
Let's see. You have hept the fish from the same pond for 2 1/2 years. Bass take a long time to get big. You haven's caught anyhing because you keep the fish. Think about your family tree. Take one person out near the top, and it is destroyed. It is kind of like that with bass. The more you keep, the less there are to reproduce, untill there aren't any. Why did you keep an 8 pound bass just to freeze it? That fish has "big fish genes" and could have led to some monsters in your pond. Stop eating them, and maybe they will come back. It will take a very long time for your pond to recover as it is.
where did he say he keeps all his fish? he only said that he kept the 8 pounder...he might have it in the freezer because he is wating to find a good taxidermist...thats what taxidermists say to do when you catch a good one. im not speaking for him, im just thinking about reasons he might have it in his freezer.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 06:17 PM   #8
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Try sumpin dyferent, use sumpin you dont use all the time, give the pond a break or just throw new stuff at em. When in doubt, slow down your approach, or take a bucket of minnows with you.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 04:50 PM   #9
X_Hellgrind_X
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to X_Hellgrind_X

lol well thx for the feedback but ive got only 2 fish in the freezer....but there is alot more fish in there that i throw back for fun...but its the thing i dont catch them
X_Hellgrind_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 10:50 PM   #10
Jolly

To get off the fish in the freezer, is there any structure that you can see? Standing timber, grass, points, troughs in the bank leading out into the water?

If it has any of the above structure that is where I would start. The fish are likely in pre-spawn meaning they are actively searching for food. If I were you I would fish (in no particular order):

1. Red Rattle Trap
2. Suspending Rattlin' Rogue Jerkbait
3. White/chartruse Spinner Bait w/ a large single Colorado blade
4. Weightless white or green fluke or senko
5. Carolina rigged 4" tiki stick

I would fish all of these around the above mentioned cover varying my speeds and depths. Once you've found the fish, try to hit areas that are similar to the place you found the fish. As the season goes on, the fish will begin to move shallower to spawn. By May 1 (full moon) you may have a few fish on beds, likely later though. Bed fishing is a whole different monster and you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

Lastly, everyone else has reamed you enough for keeping a good fish, so all I will say is if you want to keep fish under 14" that will likely help you fish population, above that, your taking fish that have potential to eat your 8lbder, LOL.

Good Luck,

Jolly
Old 04-11-07, 12:32 AM   #11
bubba bass bigfoot

hate to get on you for keeping the fish like some others but im gonna, you should have let that fish go.

As for what to use, use search baits, spinners, Rat-l-traps, crankbaits. use lures with alot of vibration and sound. if all else fails go with the good old ZOOM 6 inch U-Tail worm texas rigged with a 1/32 sinker use dark colors, my Fav is Watermelon Seed (never fails me) then again you could always toss the Jig-n-Pig.

If it has surface growth (like the pond in my Pic) toss the U-Tail on the growth and gently walk it across the top then let it fall right off the edge the bass LOVE it. also does not matter if you use a frog or not bounce it on top of the Growth the bass will come up through the growth and get it. they will miss but keep at it and they will come back. that is more of a summer pattern, also a fin way to fish. fish close to the bank, logs, under tress or bushes growing out over the pond it all is great.

DONT OVER FISH THE POND go out once or twice a week but thats all do not over fish it. seeing how it is small that is big. pressure on those fish play a large part. i fish my family pond only a couple times a month if that, and it is a GREAT place to fish for bass my Fav, and it is a good sized pond. it does not have the much fishing pressure and look to keep it that way. im the only one who realy fishes it. i read all the time not to over fish ponds and i dont and they stay good to me. (family pond the only pond i fish).

Just dont go out with the same presentation ever time out, mix it up, see what works, and KEEP A LOG.

follow these tips and the others we have given you and you should be pulling them into the boat.

Hope it all helps and keep us up to date.

Last edited by bubba bass bigfoot; 04-11-07 at 12:47 AM.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 12:43 PM   #12
basschamp4

well they're right you should have thrown him back

if there is alot of cover use frogs
basschamp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:02 PM   #13
CLENSKH

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

Ask your magic Freezer maybe the answer is in there. Oh wait it cant talk cuz you killed it! keep the dinks so the big fish can leave babys.
Old 07-24-07, 02:08 PM   #14
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Not to be a dick and all, but man, do you really need to keep a healthy,good breeder 8 lb bass?
Old 07-25-07, 03:14 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Ok, not to be a bad guy here, but 6 out of 14 posts on this thread (so far) have fussed (my mama's favorite word) at this guy for keeping 1 or 2 bass. I think we all agree he should've thrown them back, but he didn't. It's not a crime, and there's no reason to keep on and on about it. Of course it's a shame the fish are dead. In the freezer, they can't be caught again or breed any more biggun's, but let's assume he read at least 1 or 2 of the posts on this thread, and now he knows better.

I find it interesting that he's only posted twice, both of them on this thread, and the last one was in April. Bet he ain't comin' back, and I don't blame him.

All right, feel free to shoot. I won't dodge, I promise. I just want my last meal to be surf and turf... hamburgers and crawfish, plz
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 11:05 PM   #16
Super Fluke

You should start by practicing C&R.
Old 07-28-07, 07:44 PM   #17
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Haha, way to emphasize MississippiBoys post, Superfluke.

BY GOD, YOU WILL SURELY GO STRAIGHT THE H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS, HELLGRIND [and how appropriate a name] FOR KEEPING THOSE 2 BASS, HOW DAREEEEE YOU!??!?!?!

Give the guy a break, he's allowed to keep fish, its a free country.
Old 08-06-07, 04:43 PM   #18
nutwagonfromhell
BassFishin.Com Member

HellGrid what lures you using? Mix it up for time of day and water temp and crap. I hit my nieghborhood lake 2-3 times a day even in the 110 degree heat I`m still gettin bites on the same worm i been used 6 years ago. Is it a private lake? because my nieghborhood pond is public and stupid a-hole kids throw couches and junk in it. one time a kid dumped barrels of amonia in it and killed more than half the lake.
nutwagonfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.