Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-12, 03:19 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Looking for ideas

Ok someone of you know I'v neen playing on the river.
Fished many a river but I have some challenges at this spot.
There is a couple of 'double over pass' pilars I've been fishing. Fishing for smallies with fair success.
Now I found a very effective system but it 'abuses' the line terribly.
Here's what I'm doing:
Got a pillar with an up stream and a down stream side as well as a right and left side. The pillars are holding 'two laners' going each direction (road direction) so the pillars are about 12 feet long and 2 maybe 3 feet wide.
Current is not really strong (extreme low water) but down stream there is a power plant so there is always some current. If an angler was to toss a 1/8 oz. jig it would sink but very very slowly mostly after or outside the immediate pillar current that surrounds all pillars. A 1/4 will fall better but remember unless your boating or directly throwing or dropping next to current the line will catch in current and drag both mentioned wieghts...and frankly THAT IS the SYSTEM.

I'm throwing a fluke on a wieghted 1/8 oz. 3/0 hook.
Now there are specifics about angles and distance and stuff but the basics are,
Standing 3 feet up stream of pillar on left side. Toss fluke across to the right side and let the line catch current with a slight loop on left side so the line will catch current on left side pulling the fluke on the right side to the piling and slowly will get pulled along the right of pillar and dragged across the up stream point of pillar. Once it clears the pillar the current on left side will catch the fluke and kind of get dragged down the left side of pillar by the current. ( kind of like a top water getting wrapped around a tree in current only with the long pillar not allowing it to wrap rather pulled along right till clears then continue with the current down the left side).
Still following me?
Now the challenge. The line I'm using is 14lb flouro and the pillings are nicking the heck out of the line.
Now I don't want to really spool with heavier line cause this bite could end tommorrow (water dropped 8inches from 10 o'clock last night till daybreak this morning. Water is now like 3 feet deep) and I have no other use for heavier line.
Now the easy answer is splice or add a leader of like 50 lb test to the end but anyone that can tell me another option will be greatly appreciated.
Oh the bite usually comes on the left side float but can come on the right side too.
Maybe the easy answer is the only answer.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Have a great day!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.