Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-07, 02:42 AM   #1
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89
Question Farm Pond Gone Dead???

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to bass fishin'. I've been Fishing this farm pond NW of Cordell, OK for about 4 weeks now. For the first 3 weeks I could pull bass and crappie out one after the other from 5am-9am then again from 7:30pm-9:30pm using a top-water popper and a 2" neon yellow grub along with some other worms and lizards of various colors.

Lately though, the fish wont bite anything. I've caught a few 1/2 - 2 1/2 lb. LM but only about 2 or so each day. The pond has a lot of weeds and brush in the middle where it gets shallow and another line of weeds near the shore. Along the East side there is a cliff that drops 15' to the water and then keeps going another 20' or so to the bottom of the pond, this is where the small crappie and larger bass seem to hang out. There are a lot of trees along the dam and the east and west side of the pond with a split, double creek inlet (can only shore fish from 1 inlet).
The Pond has also recently "turned over" with the moss floating to the top and is now starting to sink making the water very clear, about 3' of visibility.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and I hope you guys here at bassfishin.com can offer a newbie some assistance.

Thanks,
-Eric

P.S. The water level has also dropped significantly since the end of the recent flooding rains in western OK.
Old 07-20-07, 08:07 AM   #2
bothomas

Esipes89,
I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here, this site has tons of info from some hardcore anglers. You won't be getting that help from me tho.lol But seriously, I fish a lot of ponds and I have found that they seem to get tired of the same bait and tech. if used every time for a while. thats just me though. I'm sure the guys will get you back on the fish, I really just posted to say THAT SOUNDS LIKE A REALLY NICE POND YOUR FISHING, WISH I WAS SO LUCKY!!

Best of luck
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 01:21 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Bo hit the nail right on the head. The bass have grown weary to the types of baits you are using. So now when they see soemthing like a pop'r fished the same way you do they arent going to hit it, along with the neon colors and what not. What you need to do is change up your arsenal, and fishing technique. Its summer time, and the bass will be deep during the day, shallow in the morning and evenings. I would work that drop off with numerous stik baits [t-rigged, c-rigged, and jigged] also good ole fashion jigs with a craw type trailer. If that doesnt work, go with crankbaits, and spinnerbaits. In the low light conditions maybe try a different type of topwater bait, maybe something like a buzzbait. Just stick with the morning/evening shallow areas, day time deeper areas for an idea as to where to fish. also, if those trees are near deeper water, fish them like crazy... actually fish them like crazy either way. I'd throw a jig in them, or a tiki stik. Make sure you have adequate[sp?] line capable of hauling bass outta the cover. Since the water is only relatively clear, i would use Powerpro. Just keep trying new things until you catch fish, then keep on trying new things ahah, dont over use baits again, ponds are very easily effected by over use of a style or technique, keep it changed up.
Old 07-20-07, 01:43 PM   #4
brushhog

ditto, what he said! similar situation in the large pond/small lake i fish. You have to change it up...
Old 07-20-07, 06:34 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

You also might try some different areas, i.e. deeper. As the summer progresses and it gets hotter and hotter the fish either go deep in the water column or go deep into/under cover. They may just be buried it the thick stuff or in the deepest part of the pond. These other guys mwy be right, too-conditioned to the lures you are using so throw them a changeup with something different.
Old 07-21-07, 12:34 AM   #6
ESipes_89

Hi,

Thanks for the help I'll give it a shot tomorrow and get back to you with the results.

I have used all kinds of spinner baits and crank baits but have yet to get a single nibble let alone catch anything with 'em. I tried deep running and suspended rattling crankbaits near the cliff and spinner baits in the weeds but nothing. Is there some trick to using these?

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 07-21-07, 01:42 AM   #7
Super Fluke

Try some new baits
Old 07-21-07, 07:56 PM   #8
bassfisher02

I dont use cranks, its not my bag of tricks. But I will say suing jigs and stik baits will surely get a nibble.
Old 07-22-07, 05:10 PM   #9
ESipes_89

Hi,

Went fishin' last night and used everything I could think of but only got 1 12" bass, 1 crappie, and a blue gill. I got a few top water hits but nothing held on. I'm gonna try again tonight and move to the opposite side to see what I get and get back with the results.

Thanks again,
-Eric
Old 07-22-07, 05:21 PM   #10
bassfisher02

If its a big enough pond where you cant cover everything from shore, you might wanna think about maybe a kayak, raft, or canoe for it.
Old 07-22-07, 06:50 PM   #11
pig n jig

When the water turns over, the oxygen level is the same throughout the water colum, until the water temperatures get back to normal.try fishing different areas of the water colum, most likely the bass are suspended out towards the center of the pond where the oxygen is the most abundant.I hope this helps, P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-07, 08:54 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESipes_89 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to bass fishin'. I've been Fishing this farm pond NW of Cordell, OK for about 4 weeks now. For the first 3 weeks I could pull bass and crappie out one after the other from 5am-9am then again from 7:30pm-9:30pm using a top-water popper and a 2" neon yellow grub along with some other worms and lizards of various colors.

Lately though, the fish wont bite anything. I've caught a few 1/2 - 2 1/2 lb. LM but only about 2 or so each day. The pond has a lot of weeds and brush in the middle where it gets shallow and another line of weeds near the shore. Along the East side there is a cliff that drops 15' to the water and then keeps going another 20' or so to the bottom of the pond, this is where the small crappie and larger bass seem to hang out. There are a lot of trees along the dam and the east and west side of the pond with a split, double creek inlet (can only shore fish from 1 inlet).
The Pond has also recently "turned over" with the moss floating to the top and is now starting to sink making the water very clear, about 3' of visibility.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and I hope you guys here at bassfishin.com can offer a newbie some assistance.

Thanks,
-Eric

P.S. The water level has also dropped significantly since the end of the recent flooding rains in western OK.
I'm gonna assume that you aren't keeping all these fish you are catching. "IF" you are then you may have depleted the pond. Otherwise PNJ's response was good, along with the other folks. I did read a test someone did though, that worms were never learned by bass to stay away from even after being caught, whereas some other baits were. I don't believe it's so much the bait issue as it is the O2 as PNJ stated, along with the limited visibility. Bass not used to low visibility will hold very. very, very tight to cover. So you had better hit them on the head if you want them to bite, and use baits that move water/vibrate/make noise, and use plenty of scent, for them to hone in on.

Lizards
Old 07-22-07, 11:24 PM   #13
ESipes_89

Well,

Same result, I think lizards and PNJ are right though. I saw a lot of top water action near and in the middle of the weeds in the center of the pond today. I have a raft I take out every once and a while and am thinking of bringin' it out again to get within reach of the areas I'm seeing all the fish.

And Lizards, The pond has everything but low visibility and I practice catch and release only. Especially in small ponds (even though this one is over 10 acres).

thanks,
-Eric
Old 07-23-07, 02:15 PM   #14
Wishing2BFishing

It seems that you have educated the bass to shy away from poppers and yellow grubs. I agree with with the recommendation to fish stick baits. Texas rig a senko, kinami, or whatever stick bait you can get your hands on and I am sure that you will see some results. Also, as mentioned by the other members, the fish may have moved to other areas. With the stickbait, you should be able to cast relatively far and fish some thickly vegetated areas.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 01:36 AM   #15
stevomac59

keep fishing the drop off. use topwaters in the morning and go to maybe a crankbait in the evening... it should work
Old 08-10-07, 03:08 PM   #16
ESipes_89

Well,

I've got some bad news. The owner of the pond has closed it off to fishing due to people leaving trash on his property. I just wish people wouldn't ruin it for the rest of us.

-Eric
Old 08-10-07, 04:36 PM   #17
hackattack

rip a red trap
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 02:27 PM   #18
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESipes_89 View Post
Well,

I've got some bad news. The owner of the pond has closed it off to fishing due to people leaving trash on his property. I just wish people wouldn't ruin it for the rest of us.

-Eric
That's great, the idiots ruin it for the good guys...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 02:03 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

When I go fishing at any reservior, I usual try to pick up any trash I see. Cause one of my favorites had been closed due to people coming in and just leaving junk there. They have a no trsspassing sign but people still fish and they don't really mind as long as you don't little, But I've collected numerous empty bags of soft plastics, balls of line left on the shore, and even a minnow bucket with 2 dozen or so dead minnows. I use that one though.

So if you see trash at your favorite fishing spots, instead of saying, god, i wish people wouldn't leave their junk, just pick it up, it's their loss anyways.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.