Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-07, 11:10 AM   #1
ColoradoNative
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Choose only one lure for this newbie....

So after fishing for about three hours last night, don't have much to write home about, except that I allowed my two year old to fall out of the boat.

Caught a lot of tiny fish (under 6 inches at best) and played with a lot of stuff in my box, but now I want to concentrate on two or three the next few weeks.

So my question to you all, is if you could recommend one lure, what would it be and how do you recommend using it? I need a recommendation for both shore and boat fishing (I do the former more than the latter).

I have a whole box of just about everything (I think I have sunk $400+ into my box alone the past 6 weeks), so I am free game to learn how to catch something bigger than baitfish.
ColoradoNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 05:42 PM   #2
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Please tell me some more information:

What do you have in your box? I would think that $400 could buy a fair amount of tackle. Unless it is all Lucky Craft lures.

What kind of water are you fishing? Ponds, lakes, rivers? How deep is the water? What kind of structure or cover is around?

With this group, I expect you to learn a lot. I know I have!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 05:42 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

a texas rigged worm.. or a spinnerbait..not to be confused with the in-line spinner..

i am not going to mention just how much money i got tied up in tackle. but it is easily in 6 digit range..

zooker
Old 08-01-07, 05:55 PM   #4
JB

dead stick a senko in watermelon redflake, if the fish are that negative a slow approach could get ya a bite. You fishing a lake or pond or river?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 06:07 PM   #5
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Hands down a bait that will catch fish almost anywhere you can think to fish it, the stik bait. I like to use 5" Tiki Stiks in sweet potato pie texas rigged [weighted or not]. Now many also swear by the Senko, I personally prefur Tiki Stik because they hold up better than the Senko and are a bit cheaper. But either way its up to you, and that soft plastic will catch fish almost everytime, anywhere!
Old 08-01-07, 06:32 PM   #6
ColoradoNative
BassFishin.Com Member

Guess I should have mentioned the water...

Mostly ponds, lakes and reservoirs. Everything from rocks to sand to weeds. Not much structure unless there happens to be a cliff/cutout, some downed trees (no tree roots like I have seen in the south) or rock piles.

I have spinner bait, inline spinners of all sorts (bells, rooster tails, etc.), lipped & no lip crankbaits, stick o something or other, mister twisters, bobbers, weights, hooks of all sorts....does that help??
Old 08-01-07, 06:39 PM   #7
bassfisher02

Probably could do without the bobbers, atleast for artificial fishing.

Anyways my reply still stands, go out and buy Wave Worm 5" Tiki Stiks or Gary Yammamoto Senkos. Either/or, they catch fish, plain and simple.
Old 08-01-07, 07:04 PM   #8
Rebbasser

CN, If I had to choose one of the ones you mention I'd get that bag of Sticko-Os and try them rigged either as a weightless T(Texas)-rig or a wacky rig. If you don't know how to rig them in the "New to Fishing" section they are stickied at the top. Throw them in and around the cover you find and work them with gentle twitches of the rod tip. This time of year they can really prodouce a lot of bites.
Old 08-01-07, 07:39 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Well I would first off ask if you have patience or not. If you don't have much patience, then I would reccomend a spinnerbait, because it's cast and retrieve, constant action. If you have patience, then the stickbiat of some type would be good or any plastic, maybe even a lizard or fluke.

Lizards
Old 08-01-07, 08:10 PM   #10
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

stickbaaaaaaaaaaaaaait
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 10:36 PM   #11
ColoradoNative
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker - maybe a stupid question, but I don't know if I am using my spinner bait correctly. I called my dad and he said to use a barrel swivel, which I did, but I wasn't sure exactly where to clip it and whether or not this is the best way. Didn't seem to be moving the right way.
Old 08-01-07, 10:52 PM   #12
keithdog

Colorado, the swivel your dad recommends is for using with in line spinners like Mepps and Rooster Tail spinners. Swiveles are used with these baits to prevent line twist which they are prone to produce. The spinnerbait Zook is talkin about is the safety pin style spinnerbait. The body of the lure runs below the spinning blades. With this type of lure, you tie your line dirrectly to the lure as there is no worry about line twist. In fact, with a swivel used on spinnerbaits, the swivel can slide up and down the main wire causing the lure to fail to work properly. As for my choice of only one lure, it would be the spinnerbait. You can cover water fairly quickly and even produce in water with very little visability. You can also produce reaction strikes with a spinnerbait. It can be worked in open water and in water with lots of brush, grass, lilly pads, rocks, and so on. It can be worked fast as a surface buzz bait, or slow in deeper water, and anywhere in between. Also, the spinnerbait will catch bass at all times of the year, cold water or warm. I always use a trailer with mine. Preferably a twister grub between 3 and 4 inches in length.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 11:51 PM   #13
ColoradoNative
BassFishin.Com Member

keith that makes sense, thank you and I am glad to know that what I knew as a spinnerbait and what you described were the same!

Just to make sure I am clear - am I tying onto the end of the wire or to the middle loop about half way down the wire?

Finally, how do you hook a trailer on a spinner? T-rig or other way?

Thanks again for everyones help! I am debating getting up and heading out tomorrow morning before work....it's raining now, so might be good since I seem to see more the morning after a good rain when it stirs everything up.
Old 08-01-07, 11:58 PM   #14
Rebbasser

CN, if you hold the hook of the spinnerbait in your left hand with the blades on the right the wire is R shaped. Tie in the round part of the R, which is about halfway between the head and the blades.
Old 08-02-07, 12:34 AM   #15
bassfisher02

CN, the trailer CAN be t-rigged, yet most do not, just thread the soft plastic onto the hook, like so:

Thats your basic spinnerbait, with only one blade. You can see where the line ties to the spinnerbait.

Here are a few more examples:

As you may notice, a trailer isnt always nessacery. Sometimes the skirt is good enough.
Old 08-02-07, 12:59 AM   #16
Bender

I will add to the Senko group. Put a hook in it how you like, throw it our there, let it sit for 30 seconds (seems like forever), then drag it back in(I twitch them when wacky rigged). Cast to the next spot and repeat.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 03:58 AM   #17
FlyRod

Chartreuse hand grenade!

Pull pin, throw well away from boat...wait...collect dinner...depart in haste.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 08:08 PM   #18
keithdog

Now THATS an idea FlyRod. Collect your fillets and head home, lol
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 08:10 PM   #19
bassfisher02

My uncle used to have a contraption rigged to his dock where all he did was flip a switch and a high voltage of electricity would find the water rather quickly, he would then collect the fish and repeat when nessacery. I kid you not.
Old 08-02-07, 08:20 PM   #20
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Chartreuse hand grenade!

FR
ROTFFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-07, 09:52 PM   #21
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
a texas rigged worm.. or a spinnerbait..not to be confused with the in-line spinner..

i am not going to mention just how much money i got tied up in tackle. but it is easily in 6 digit range..

zooker
I agree with Zooker.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 10:47 PM   #22
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
My uncle used to have a contraption rigged to his dock where all he did was flip a switch and a high voltage of electricity would find the water rather quickly, he would then collect the fish and repeat when nessacery. I kid you not.
Now that is funny!

Something plastic texas rigged weightless, Watermelon or Smoked Shad with some pretty sparkly flakes!
Old 08-03-07, 12:19 AM   #23
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Chartreuse hand grenade!

FR

Just make dang sure it blows AWAY from the boat. Ever see what a chartruse grenade can do to a white boat?
Old 08-03-07, 03:01 PM   #24
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoNative View Post
Zooker - maybe a stupid question, but I don't know if I am using my spinner bait correctly. I called my dad and he said to use a barrel swivel, which I did, but I wasn't sure exactly where to clip it and whether or not this is the best way. Didn't seem to be moving the right way.
-why is it i always get the spinnerbait questions??-

now in-line spinners will twist up fishin line but ugly and real fast.this reason is why you use a snap swivels on them..

this is a standard "safty pin" style spinner bait..

please note THIS is what we refure to in most of the refurances to spinnerbaits..

you tie your line DIRECTLY to the wire in the "R" bend.-tom will disagree with me here-

now tuning:
to tune the spinner bait such as above. hold the bait by the head -thats the heavy part-the blades up.. the arm that holds the blades should be in line with the hook point.. now if the blade is barrle rollin thru the water. you must alievate the problem by over tuning to the LEFT..they almost always roll to the right..

zooker
Old 08-06-07, 02:08 AM   #25
WallStreetAmigo

4 or 5 inch Senkos and the like rigged wacky style have netted me some decent fish this year and have salvaged many a fishing trip. I caught eight 2 to 4 pounders the other day on nothing but a watermelon senko rigged wacky style. If you cast it out and let it sink on a semi-slack line, you will catch much more than baitfish. Having said that, I also caught a sunfish that was only two and a half inches long on the same rig.....the senko was bigger than the sunfish! Rig one up and watch the way it acts in the water.....bass can't let it pass by.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.