Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-07, 01:53 AM   #1
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

Default NEwb night water failure? Not a single bite

HI, i am new to the board. I've usually only fished day time with rubber worms and now senko's with success but i tried fishing at night tonight.

I picked up a 3/8 black jointed jitterbug and some june bug colored stick worms and headed out. I fished with the jitterbug most of the night, using a slow steady retrieve, and 2 jerk then pause...2 jerk then pause, and even a faster retrieve with some jerks thrown in. Nothing. Fished from the bank, throwing to the outskirts of lilly pads alternating with deeper water, and any lumber i could find. After no luck for about 3 hours i switched a a june bug senko knockoff rigged texas style and slummed it through the muck for a few hours, letting it sink, slow retrieve with pauses, some light jerking action. I mixed it up then and went wacky through some lighter stuff and on the fringe of the muck but no dice. It got really cool yesterday and today felt like an autumn day here in Southern NJ.

I'd like to try a non-jointed jitterbug, a zara spook and a POP-R next time. The local stores don't carry the devil horse? and only have the larger torpedoes, should i give one of them a go? I assume i could try some horny toads too, but i'd like to limit my spending as i have dropped more than i wanted to the last few trips to the store because i've really been enjoying myself fishing and figured expanding into night fishing would allow more flexibility.

Last week at the same lake during the day i caught 4 bass within 40 minutes...all about 1-2 pounders guestimate(roughly 12 inches give or take). Tonight i landed nothing.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 11:00 AM   #2
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

it happens to everyone. getting skunked aint no biggie. just being out there is worth something. next time u go, u could slay em. if a person understood fish, there would be alot more millionaires out there. go for the fun, stay for the fishin.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 12:11 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

See if you cant get your hands on a jon boat of sorts, and take it out at night [prefferably with a partner] and try some places you cant normally get to on shore. Maybe some fallen trees, or a shallow flat near deep water. Drop-offs are also killer with jitterbugs. Just keep on workin the area and you'll get something. If you dedicate a whole night to the jitterbug, it can be very rewarding. You may only get a few bass, but more times than none they will be bigg'uns.

Good Luck.
Old 08-12-07, 05:12 PM   #4
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Keep trying, jitterbugs are great lures at night. Like 02 said, try to get a boat, you will probably find more fish.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 10:08 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I love jitterbugs, I actually found an old one the other dya in some of my dad's stuff, its about 6" long and has a treble on either side in the midde and one on the end. the bass in my pond are way not big enough yet, but I do like the jointed jitterbugs, they make a little more noise. also, try a buzzbait, see if you can find a black with chartreuse tipped skirt, they rock at night.

Anyways, better luck next time. the last time i went night fishing, the only bites we got were from skeeters.
Old 08-12-07, 10:36 PM   #6
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Those 6" jitterbugs are for Muskie. But when fishing the right water they can slay some MONSTER bass.
Old 08-13-07, 12:29 AM   #7
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

mine is definetly not 6 inches, but it is jointed. I managed to catch 2 bass today, one on the jitterbug and the other on a senko knock off in june bug.

Me and my buddy are going to go out in his big canoe coming up soon, granted its not the best for fishing, but its free. I just need to obtain an anchor so we don't drift while at a spot.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.