Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-07, 01:24 PM   #1
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why you should always pick up your broken or tangled line

Unfortunately I came across this little guy to late. A perfect example of what can happen when you snap off your line in a tree and then just motor away...

Old 08-29-07, 01:34 PM   #2
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

damn, I was thinking about taking the trailer out to my favorite pond to clean up trash since I have the day off. after seeing this post I'm heading out there.
Old 08-29-07, 08:15 PM   #3
basschamp4

is that a bird if so that really sucks ill be sure to get some of that sturr cleaned up
Old 08-29-07, 09:02 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It's really sad that people can't just clean up their messes.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 10:22 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You are so right, WI-I even pick up other peoples discarded mono.

About a year ago flyrod and I were out on our favorite electrics only lake and a guy in a kayak cam paddling up asking if we had some line clippers. Of course we did, so he reached down into the kayak and produced a small duck that was all tangled up in discarded mono. Fortunately we were able to release it unharmed, but we were both more than a little PO'd at the guy/gal that just dumped their mono in the lake.
Old 08-29-07, 10:33 PM   #6
skeeter944

I fish this Gated Community that has 13 differant ponds, and I fish them all regularly. I keep a trash bag with me and pick up trash along the shoreline while I'm fishing, I like to leave the pond better than I found it. Some people are just so immature and dont clean their messes up, God so graciously gave us this beautiful earth and ponds and lakes etc... why not take good care of it like we do with our houses and stuff?
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 08:19 AM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Obviously you want to clean up your fishing line for the animals but also for you boat motor. My brother had to replace the seals in his lower unit because fishing line got wrapped up in the prop and cut the seals. That cost a little bit of money to be fixed.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 01:06 PM   #8
wargoth

I always seem to come home with a few hundred yards of mono in my pocket anytime I go out fishing. I've even gotten yelled at by the wife for my daughter leaving mono in her pockets then it getting in the laundry as she is trained to pick up the trash too. I like Skeeter's idea and will be carrying a small trash bag with me from now on anytime I am bank fishing.
Old 08-31-07, 08:55 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I always, pick up junk, whether it be mine or others'. It makes me mad to see people leave junk at a pond or such. the last time I was at a reservior that I fish, I found a minnow bucket full of dead minnows! and a bag of empty catfish nuggets and crud. it's sad that people can't clean up their own stuff.
Old 09-01-07, 08:53 AM   #10
keithdog

This is a good post and that picture of the tangled bird would be good to have posted at all fishing tackle counters. I've had two instances I would like to share. Once, I was fishing at my favorite local lake and saw a robin thrashing on shore in obvious distress. So after rowing to shore to investigate. I found the poor bird in exactly the same situation, tangled in mono. Luckily for the robin, she remained calm as I untangled her, snipping away what I couldn't easily remove. The second story I am unsure about the ending of unfortunately. I was fishing the same lake as previously mentioned when I spotted a grown duck entanged in one of those plastic six pack can holders that hold the cans together at the store. I tried in vain to rescue the duck, but it never allowed me to get close enough to help. I just don't understand why some folks have this attitude that justifies tossing their trash wherever, and not concerned about their own actions. It makes me sick. I wish the state DNR would sponcer a bill to create a $1000.00 fine for discarding trash any place other than an approved trash container. The old addage always applies. Leave the land cleaner than you found it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 12:51 PM   #11
brushhog

It is about education and tradition. People who leave that stuff behind were never taught by a real outdoorsman, and probably have no sense of the values and traditions of the outdoors. My dad always taught us leave the area better than you found it. When my family camped, my Dad would take us out early on our last day and pick up trash around the lake. We all need to teach the next generation to do the same. I've spoken to young kids I've seen fishing, about cleaning up line and garbage. If you are polite and friendly you may get a message across!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.