Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-04, 09:30 AM   #1

Default Flurocarbon Line

Just watching the elite 50 the other day and reading some mags. A lot of guys now are using 20lb flurocarbon when flipping and pitching around docks, or 12lb flurocarbon when cranking.
I'm a mono or braided guy myself. I only use flurocarbon for leaders when vertical jigging. Any opinions on using fluro for other applications? What's the best performing? How does it work on baitcasters? I spooled up about 150yds of berkley vanish on a spinning outfit once and when I opened the bail it all just started to jump off. Comments appreciated!
Old 11-30-04, 03:37 AM   #2

Default Re: Flurocarbon Line

Fluracarbon is great line!! I use it on most of my reels. I use 12lb for cranking most of the time because the line is more dense then mono and will allow your bait to go a little deeper. Also it is great for texas rigged plastics, flipping, pitching ect....the line causes your bait to fall a little faster than it would on mono, so you can cover more water quickly. Also flurocarbon is very abrasion resistant, so it is great around dock pilings, timber, ect. My favorite is berkley vanish without a doubt. And about the spinning reel you mentioned, flurocarbon is difficult to use on spinning outfits becuase it tangles easily in itself, the only thing I can reccomend is to not use it on spinning outfits, or if you feel that you have to, every few hours or so of use, let out a lot of the line behind the boat while idiling to get rid of some of those tangles, then reel it up, and keep fishin. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-04, 10:09 AM   #3

Default Re: Flurocarbon Line

Thanks for the advice. The only time I tried it was on a spinning outfit because I was chasing walleyes and was sick of tying leaders. Never used the fluro for bass fishing. All my bass fishing gear except for one rod is baitcasters. I think I'll stick with the mono for cranking as I like the stretch on the hookset since I don't use a fiberglass rod and use graphite exclusively. I will however have to give it a go for fishing a j-n-p around docks. Maybe then my line won't have as many nicks in it like Berkley XT gets and the hookset won't feel so spongey. Again thanks for the reply Stephen.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.