Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-12, 09:09 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default I confess...I have been cheating!

Anyone that knows me around here, knows I am a Shimano fan. But with the release of the G series Curado, I have found myself with a wondering eye.

I bought an Okuma Serrano last year and love it. But since Ardent has bumped up from the Zoloft pill ad looking reels, I am finding it hard to fight the urge to purchase an American made reel in the $200 class with already installed ABEC bearings. Have any of the serious reel mechanics put their hands on any lately? ProReel, has any came in your shop? Someone give me the low down. Am I on the verge of promiscuity or should I ramain in my monogamous relationship. I don't see myself buying a G Series Curado because I am not wild about the thumb bar. I would be bumping up to the Chronarch or sniping the D series off of ebay until they step it back up.
Old 03-18-12, 01:01 PM   #2
Tavery5

Bubba, I have a friend who is on the Ardent Pro Staff, he has been fishing with the Ardent reels for a few years now and I have talked with him several times about the reels. He tells me that they fish great, cast and retrieve are both very good.

I have not had the opportunity to fully disassemble one of the reels yet, but have taken as good a look as possible at them in store. I find them heavy and the engineering is not at a level that justifies the price. For example, one of the models require you to remove the handle side plate to remove the spool.

The newer line of their reels, the Edge series look to be better, more ergonomic, better over all design. They are still very heavy compared to allot of other reels in their price range, but look like a big step in the right direction.

Bubba, don't be confused when someone says ABEC bearings, ABEC is not a brand but a standard for rating bearings. ABEC stands for Annular Bearing Engineering Committee, they rate bearing tolerance on a scale of 3 to 9, with most reels coming from the factory with ABEC 3 rated bearings. There is allot to understand about bearings, but not all ABEC 3 bearings are the same, design elements of the bearing such as the cage can make allot of difference as to which application they are best suited for.

If it were my money and wanted to try something other than Shimano, I would spend my money elsewhere. I would look at either ABU, Diawa, Lews, or possibly even some of the newer Quantum reels.

I applaud your decision to spend your money on an American made product, but until they increase the quality and engineering in their product, others will get my money.
Old 03-18-12, 01:14 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Appreciate it Taco. There aren't many reviews to be found other than those posted on some of the places you can buy them. And I just don't want to go off a "I love it, would buy more!" generic post. But thanks for the info and schooling.
Old 03-18-12, 01:17 PM   #4
Tavery5

No problem, If you get serious about buying an Ardent, I can put you in touch with my buddy and he can talk your ear off about the reels.
Old 03-18-12, 01:35 PM   #5
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have to agree with Tony. I have worked on a few and found them to be very generic for lack of a better term. Not so much that any one thing sticks out, just nothing outstanding about them. The abec thing is also a gimic to use in advertising. It's worthless to say that it has abec bearings because there is no such thing. Now if they were to tell us what abec rating they use and where the bearings are built, that would be usefull info.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 10:15 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well i ain't talking to a CHEATER no mo. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 03-19-12, 08:20 AM   #7
Bender

Come on Bubba, just jump up to some Cores.

I'm actually not in the market for any reels right now, quite the opposite since I'm cursing how many I have since I'm doing maintenance on all of them right now, but I'm not too impressed with Shimano's current lineup. I do have some other reels though and of my "off brand" reels, I think that the Lew's has performed pretty well. When I get to tearing into that one I'll let you know what the guts look like after a year of light use. I have never owned an Ardent though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 09:35 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Do you realize how many miles I have to fly to buy a Core? hahahahaha. I have a healthy gift card from my last turn in, but I was thinking of a Stradic CI4 and a Core on the next purchase. But with the boat fever back in full swing, I might need to hold on to it for some H'bird DI options.
Old 03-19-12, 09:46 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I wouldn't buy the reels in Shimano's new line up either, even if I was a Shimano guy. I'd pick up a Chronarch D off eBay before the new "Curadarch."

Also, I'd stay away from the CI4 as well. When I was looking into spinning reels, those consistently felt bad. The Sustain on the other hand is one of the smoothest spinnings reel's I've felt, although it's a heavy one.

But you know me, I say give Daiwa a try.

BB
Old 03-19-12, 10:26 AM   #10
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I wouldn't buy the reels in Shimano's new line up either, even if I was a Shimano guy. I'd pick up a Chronarch D off eBay before the new "Curadarch."
That brings up a good point. One of my favorite reels is still the old Chronarch Mg. Maybe you could look into those or their JDM counterparts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 10:29 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Believe me, I have them lined up on my watch list. The Sustain has an even heavier price tag. I may be willing to venture out on a spinning reel a whole lot faster than the baitcasters.
Old 03-19-12, 11:13 AM   #12
Jrob78

If you really want to venture out and try something new, get a Pflueger Patriarch or Patriarch XT. They are about the most underrated reels on the market, in my opinion.
Old 03-19-12, 10:56 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

Also, I'd stay away from the CI4 as well. When I was looking into spinning reels, those consistently felt bad. The Sustain on the other hand is one of the smoothest spinnings reel's I've felt, although it's a heavy one.

But you know me, I say give Daiwa a try.

BB
Just as a counterpoint, and not just because I'm a Shimano fan....I've been using a CI4 2500 for a year now and can't think of a single bad thing to say about it. Light-smooth-excellent drag-no twist-fair price-good bearing count-outstanding IPT-comfortable-looks good.............

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 03-19-12 at 11:03 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 10:58 PM   #14
keithdog

I just have one thing to say. "GARCIA". If your going to have an affair, at least make it worth your while.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.