Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-10, 06:50 PM   #1
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinnerbait Equipment

What makes a good spinnerbait combo? I'm not looking for a specific brand but what action? Length? Gear ratio on reel? Line? Any advice would be great!
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:58 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like a good quality graphite 6 1/2 - 7 foot MH power fast action casting rod. Pair that with a good casting reel with a 6.3:1 gear ratio. For line, I prefer mono over flourocarbon for spinnerbaits, around 14-17 pound test. Last year I started tossing spinnerbaits on Power Pro braid and really liked how it handled. I'll be using both mono and braid line this year.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 07:18 PM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I like a good quality graphite 6 1/2 - 7 foot MH power fast action casting rod. Pair that with a good casting reel with a 6.3:1 gear ratio. For line, I prefer mono over flourocarbon for spinnerbaits, around 14-17 pound test. Last year I started tossing spinnerbaits on Power Pro braid and really liked how it handled. I'll be using both mono and braid line this year.
I agree with everything that Keith said .with the exception that I might start using a med power rod instead...But that has yet to be determined
Old 01-26-10, 07:25 PM   #4
cassidyta

I mostly agree with Keith here.
I personally do not like using braid. I am sure it has more to do with the fisherman than the equiptment, but I found that my spinner baits just did not last as long on braid. I personally think that the lack of stretch meant that the bait had to absorb the shock. If my hookset was different, then it might not be an issue.
I also use 6 1/2 medium rod. I am not sure if that is as much choice as it was the rod I had available.
Old 01-26-10, 07:30 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Like Keith I like to throw spinnerbaits on 6 1/2' to 7' rods. Alot of the time I get up in flooded brush and willow trees and pitch a spinnerbait like you would a jig or softplastic, when I am doing this I use a 7' rod for leverage and power. At the same time if I am fishing a spinnerbait and am making long cast I will also use a 7' rod. If I am short roll cast around docks, laydowns, or any other time where I have to be able to pin point my cast I will usually step down to a 6 1/2" rod. I also agree with Keith about the reel speed for spinnerbaits, 6.3:1 is a pretty good speed and sometimes I will also fish them on a 7.1:1 reel. I prefer flourocarbon over mono when I fish spinnerbaits, this is just a matter of opinion because there is nothing wrong with fishing spinnerbaits on mono either but I just like the lack of stretch that flouro offers because it really helps with hooksets.
Old 01-26-10, 07:45 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Just started using spinnerbaits for the first time last year. I was just throwing them on a spinning set-up.
This year though, I'm goin' after 'em full bore.
Gonna be using a Fenwick spinnerbait rod, 6'10 MH MF.
Gonna put a 6.3:1 Catalyst on it and throw 8# Trilene XL Mono.
Probably should up the line strength but 8# served me well last year and I don't throw into a ton of structure.
So I can't really give you sound advice right now but ask me on April 24th!
Old 01-26-10, 07:46 PM   #7
bassboogieman

I use two rods for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. A 6'9' M/fast with a 6.3:1 reel for baits up to 3/8 oz. and 10# YoZuri Hybrid line. I move up to a 6'9" MH/fast, same reel for 1/2 oz + baits, 12# YoZuri Hybrid.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 09:10 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For most of my spinnerbait fishing, I prefer a 6'4"-6'6" MH F/XF rod. But for covering a lot of water with long casts, I use my 7' M F. For a reel, I use a 6.3:1. I use 12lb copolymer for my line. Most likely P-line floroclear.

However, when I saw KVD give a seminar on spinnerbaits, he uses a longer rod and a slower action to make his extremely long casts. He also uses a 7.3:1 gear ratio reel, and 17-25lb fluorocarbon.

I was thinking of going with a heavier line this year since the lake where I fish mostly spinnerbaits has quite a few muskies.

BB
Old 01-26-10, 09:42 PM   #9
nofearengineer

I have toyed around a lot this year with different spinnerbait setups, from 5'6" to 7'6". The lakes I fish do not have a tremendous amount of shore cover to get snagged up in, so I prefer a "search bait" type of approach (and boy am I good at searching....I search all day long )...a 7'6" MH, MF action, so I can cover tons of water with really long casts. I use a 7.1:1 baitcaster as well, so if I really want to speed things up, I can.
Old 01-26-10, 10:11 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I have toyed around a lot this year with different spinnerbait setups, from 5'6" to 7'6". The lakes I fish do not have a tremendous amount of shore cover to get snagged up in, so I prefer a "search bait" type of approach (and boy am I good at searching....I search all day long )...a 7'6" MH, MF action, so I can cover tons of water with really long casts. I use a 7.1:1 baitcaster as well, so if I really want to speed things up, I can.
Sounds about what KVD was using during his seminar that I was at.

Also, of all presentations out there, I think that spinnerbaits are the most versatile when it comes to what gear to use. With pros using anything from 6' to 7'6", M to H, and Mod to XF rod, it's seems like you can't go wrong.

BB
Old 01-26-10, 10:36 PM   #11
TN_Bassin

There are so many types and weights of spinnerbaits and even more personal preferences to what type of setup to use that you really can't go wrong. That being said I like around 6-1/2' Med action with an fast tip for my lighter blades and a 6-1/2' MH with a fast tip for my heavier blades. I run 2 6.4.1 reels on these rods so I can either slow roll or burn it depending on the occasion.
Old 01-27-10, 02:14 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I use a 6'6" M F rod with a Curado 7:1. I wish I had a little slower reel because it is hard to keep on bottom when slow rolling it. I like to throw #12 Berkley XT mono. With heavier spinner baits, I am scared to go much lower than 12 because they throw like a rocket, and a quick lash could put a heavy spinner in the drink. At least it has for me on 3/8 and up.
Old 01-27-10, 02:34 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I use a 6'6" M F rod with a Curado 7:1. I wish I had a little slower reel because it is hard to keep on bottom when slow rolling it. I like to throw #12 Berkley XT mono. With heavier spinner baits, I am scared to go much lower than 12 because they throw like a rocket, and a quick lash could put a heavy spinner in the drink. At least it has for me on 3/8 and up.
You won't gain anything by using lighter line on a spinnerbait anyways, orther than maybe a little casting distance but if you are getting plenty of distance now then no way would I go lower. I throw my spinnerbaits on 15lb flourocarbon.
Old 01-27-10, 05:09 PM   #14
reddragon
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to use a 7mh with a 6.2 or slower crank its nice to be able to keep the bait on the bottom on slower retrieves and yet the reel still has power to bring the fish out.
reddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 08:27 PM   #15
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I prefer a 7' MH, fast action rod with 17 lb mono and not too soft of a tip for my heavier spinners, 3/8 oz and up. This setup is a hair too light for 1/4 oz spinnerbaits, so for them I use a 6' 6" MH setup with 12 lb mono and a very soft tip that helps with slinging the lighter baits. The second setup is my primary buzzbait combo for fishing lighter cover.

I use a 7.1 reel on both because I like how fast I can take up line and get into better hooksetting position when a fish hits. The stretch from the mono seems to allow better hooksets than with fluorocarbon. Since I cover ground with spinnerbaits and do a lot of casting, I keep the line fresh and respool the mono often when kinks start to develop.

Braid has its place for spinnerbaits, too. With braid you're going to miss more strikes and have more fish get off because you didn't hook them deeply, but it also has advantages when fishing around heavy weeds. You can get away with using 30-40# test and the line cuts thru the weeds like a knife thru butter. During the retrieve when the lure gets caught in weeds, giving a lure a little pop with the rod tip helps free it better with braid than with mono/fluoro. Besides the thinner diameter, the lack of line stretch gives the lure a sharper jolt to free it. One of the best advantages of braid IMO.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 12:54 AM   #16
Rebbasser

I'm with Keith on this one. a 6-6 or 7' MH action will work just fine. Pair it with a 6.3:1 reel and you are good to go.
Old 02-03-10, 10:39 AM   #17
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

6-6" MHF Rod, 6:3:1 Baitcaster, and I never throw spinnerbaits on any line lighter than 15# - just no reason to unless maybe you're super slow rolling on some deep structure, but for those instances I use a jig anyway.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 12:06 PM   #18
basstech

Like most others I prefer a 6'6" Mh power rod and a higher speed reel. Where I differ from most is I like a moderate action, similar to a crank bait rod. Reason being I like to be able to see the tip vibrate with small single blades, when i can feel. I prefer 15lb. to 20lb. flourocarbon.
Old 02-03-10, 09:59 PM   #19
screwballl

I usually run around 6'6" to 7' with 10 pound braid for most of my bassin... only if I am going topwater only with no weeds will I use a 14lb mono.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 06:17 PM   #20
Backwater Charlie

When I'm fishing spinnerbaits with a short cast, and targeting specific cover, you CAN'T beat a 6' (6'2 if you can find them) Medium/Heavy action trigger rod. I like a rating that is 10 - 20lb line, and I've found 14lb or 17lb mono to do great with spinnerbaits. Match it up with a baitcaster with a big line capacity for that heavy mono.

If you're making longer casts, a 7' Medium/Heavy action rod would do best.
Old 02-07-10, 11:23 AM   #21
BassinNC

7' mh rod with a 7.1:1 real with 17 lb floro.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.