Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-10, 02:03 PM   #1
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My plan - 1 neophyte, 1 johnboat, 5 rods and 6 hours:

If I've got anything way off base, please tell me. I'll be fishing a 110 acre stained lake, deepest point is 27-30 ft with a solid rep for bass. I'll be in a johnboat pushed by a tm with 45 lbs of thrust. Forage is allegedly (lady lake mgr sounded like she was guessing) crawfish, bream, crappie. Lots of cover in winter dormancy, stumps and timber in deep channels. Tomorrow will be the second day in a row in the 50s in a long time with a high of 57, wind 5-10 mph, 70 percent sun. Best guess on water temp is low 50s.

Here is my working plan after reading and trying to synthesize all the great advice on here:

6 - Bud Lights
1 - cuban sandwich
1 - bag chili cheese fritos

Skeet Reese 7'2" MH Fast rod
8040 Pflueger 6.2:1 Supreme spinning reel
8 lb hybrid, 10" pumpkinseed worm.

Shakespeare 6'6" MH Fast rod
Shakespeare Cirrus spinning reel (?)
12 lb mono, standard 3/8 oz jig (blue.black)

Bass Pro Qualifier 6' MH Fast rod
BPQ 6.4:1 baitcaster
12 lb mono, 3/8 oz spinnerbait w/gold col blade

Browning 3 pc 7' MH Fast rod
Abu Garcia Revo S 6.4:1
12 lb mono, Reaction Inno Sweet Beaver flipping bait

Shakespeare Baitcaster 6.4:1
12 lb mono, 10 ft crankbait

Is this plan in the ballpark? Any obvious miscues?
Old 02-18-10, 02:09 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Other than your beer choice, it is not too bad of a plan.

I would think that you may want some deeper cranks. The 10 foot range might be a little high for them in the deeper points.

I am not saying that the spinner bait plan is a bad one, but I would fish it very slow and add a bulky trailer.

With it only being the 2nd day in the 50's I believe that your temp guess might be a little on the high side.
Old 02-18-10, 02:55 PM   #3
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the hints. I'll slow roll the spinnerbait and tie on a deeper diving crank. And maybe even bring Shiner Bok or Sam Adams Winter Lager instead.
Old 02-18-10, 04:32 PM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A couple of days of 50's after a cold stretch might find the fish moving around and thinking amorous thoughts. I believe I would tie on a Rattle Trap or other lipless crankbait to get some reaction strikes. Look for transition areas with deep water access.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 05:41 PM   #5
Bender

I don't know about down there, but I might try something a little smaller and slower. The jig could work for this, but I might try a dropshot.

And of course I would always have a jerkbait tied on, especially in the cold conditions. They are painful to fish, but when it is cold it seems like the longer you let it sit the better. It is really important that it suspends when you are letting it sit for a long time or it will end up sinking to the bottom or floating on top. Test it out beside the boat so you can watch it. Maybe a Limited Rogue or Pointer 100 or even a deep diving jerkbait like a deep husky jerk. You could do that with the 6' MH rod or the one you plan on cranking with.

Need a partner? I really want to get out on soft water.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 05:49 PM   #6
BassinNC

I would add my 2 cents but everyone seems to have it covered. Oh yeah I would say Budweiser.
Old 02-18-10, 06:13 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callin' In Slick View Post
If I've got anything way off base, please tell me. I'll be fishing a 110 acre stained lake, deepest point is 27-30 ft with a solid rep for bass. I'll be in a johnboat pushed by a tm with 45 lbs of thrust. Forage is allegedly (lady lake mgr sounded like she was guessing) crawfish, bream, crappie. Lots of cover in winter dormancy, stumps and timber in deep channels. Tomorrow will be the second day in a row in the 50s in a long time with a high of 57, wind 5-10 mph, 70 percent sun. Best guess on water temp is low 50s.

Here is my working plan after reading and trying to synthesize all the great advice on here:

6 - Bud Lights
1 - cuban sandwich

Ya, sounds pretty good but you got a few thing are wrong! Mainly with you line choices.

Quote:
#1: The line is way off if you're gonna be fishing 10" worms. First off it's mono, most of it's stretchy, and you'll have a hard time feeling bites, and the line's to light, you'll need at least 14lb line for 10" worms. Try putting some fluorocarbon, but if it's like 2500 thousand reel, than you're gonna have problems with that lb flouro. Try maybe 20lb braid with a 2' flouro leader.

Quote:
Try Flouro, 12lb is fine. It's much more sensitive than mono. Fine for the time begin though.

Quote:
BPS PQ 6.4:1 baitcaster
The line again, at the very least 15lb mono. Try 17, or 20. You should be fishing spinnerbaits in heavy cover, and 12lb's gonna break off.

Quote:
The rod this time, a 3 piece rod if not gonna sensitive at all. You need a one piece unless storage is an issue. Try a one piece Vendetta, or Skeet Reese rod.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Should be fine for the time being though, don't get discouraged, you'll still catch fish though!

Last edited by Bassboss; 02-18-10 at 06:18 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 06:30 PM   #8
cassidyta

I have to disagree with you on the line thing BassBoss.
I fail to see how the 8lbs is too light for the 10" worm.
I also don't see 12 lbs being way too light for spinnerbaits. In fact, 12-15 is my preferred line size for that.
Old 02-18-10, 06:36 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I have to disagree with you on the line thing BassBoss.
I fail to see how the 8lbs is too light for the 10" worm.
I also don't see 12 lbs being way too light for spinnerbaits. In fact, 12-15 is my preferred line size for that.
You beat me to it, cass. I read his post, then scrolled down to hit "Reply" and saw this.

I use 15 lbs mono on my dedicated spinnerbait rig, but I've used 12 lbs before with no problems at all. Matter of fact, it'll probably help to get the lure deeper for slow rolling or whatever.
Old 02-18-10, 07:59 PM   #10
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Take a nice room temp Guiness then you can leave the food at home.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 09:50 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callin' In Slick View Post

6 - Bud Lights
1 - cuban sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Ya, sounds pretty good but you got a few thing are wrong! Mainly with you line choices.

#1: The line is way off if you're gonna be fishing 10" worms. First off it's mono, most of it's stretchy, and you'll have a hard time feeling bites, and the line's to light, you'll need at least 14lb line for 10" worms. Try putting some fluorocarbon, but if it's like 2500 thousand reel, than you're gonna have problems with that lb flouro. Try maybe 20lb braid with a 2' flouro leader.

Try Flouro, 12lb is fine. It's much more sensitive than mono. Fine for the time begin though.

The line again, at the very least 15lb mono. Try 17, or 20. You should be fishing spinnerbaits in heavy cover, and 12lb's gonna break off.

The rod this time, a 3 piece rod if not gonna sensitive at all. You need a one piece unless storage is an issue. Try a one piece Vendetta, or Skeet Reese rod.
I've got to disagree here too bassboss.

First of all, I rarely ever use more than 8lb test on a spinning reel, no matter what I'm fishing. As longs as you're not throwing the worms into heavy cover, a spinning setup with 8lb copolymer line should be fine, although it may not be ideal. If you are planning on throwing the worms into heavy cover, I'd suggest switching to baitcaster with 12-15lb line.

Now I don't want to get into a cheap vs. expensive gear argument, but when you're throwing jigs on a Shakespeare rods, I don't think fluoro will give that much of an improvement. While it definitely will be more sensitive, I just don't know how much more. If you're used to using mono and it works fine for you, then stick to it. Fluoro does have it's advantages over mono, but it does also have disadvantages.

For spinnerbaits, heavier line can help, but isn't necessary. I mostly use 12lb line for spinnerbaits, and have fished it on 10lb as well. I've even thrown spinnerbaits on a spinning reel with 8lb. Again, as long as you're not targetting heavy cover, 12lb will work fine for spinnerbaits. As for saying you SHOULD be fishing heavy cover with spinnerbaits: when talking about things like this, NEVER speak in absolutes. I've caught fish on spinnerbaits in open water, not just around cover.

While it is true that a 3 piece rod isn't going to be as sensitive as a 1pc, like mono line, if it works for you, fine. While upgrading to a more sensitive line or rod may help, it's okay if you can't, or just don't want to upgrade.

Just remember this: It's good to have a game plan, but a good angler knows when to abandon their plan if it isn't working. So don't stick it if it isn't producing for you.

BB
Old 02-18-10, 09:52 PM   #12
keithdog

I'd HAVE to throw in a couple Payday candy bars!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 10:12 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Sounds like you are good to go.

Fish the way you want to. Everybody does it different and there is no wrong way. Just go have fun, learn, and get better!

Callin, I just had another thought: I'd bet the water might be a little colder than you expect. A suspending jerkbait fished real slow on points or around cover can be real productive.
Old 02-18-10, 11:47 PM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Sounds like you are good to go.

Fish the way you want to. Everybody does it different and there is no wrong way. Just go have fun, learn, and get better!

Callin, I just had another thought: I'd bet the water might be a little colder than you expect. A suspending jerkbait fished real slow on points or around cover can be real productive.

Good call on the suspending jerkbait Reb!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 01:38 AM   #15
screwballl

1) I prefer Amber Bach or a good lager
2) I prefer 10-15 lb braid on one spinning reel and 10-12 lb copoly like Pline CX on another...

Otherwise it sounds good to me.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 01:33 PM   #16
TN_Bassin

1) Dos Equis... Stay thirsty my friend
2) Cold cut- Turkey Tomato Ham Swiss on whole grain (condoments are not needed)
Old 02-19-10, 05:57 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Just go have a good time Callin. People could sit here and argue all day about what line you should use for what situation, but while they are sitting here making arguements you are on the water. Good Luck and stay safe.
Old 02-19-10, 08:08 PM   #18
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
A couple of days of 50's after a cold stretch might find the fish moving around and thinking amorous thoughts. I believe I would tie on a Rattle Trap or other lipless crankbait to get some reaction strikes. Look for transition areas with deep water access.

That's what I'm thinking to, and maybe some medium diving cranks in a firetiger pattern if they're out a little deeper. Sounds like a perfect set up for some pre-spawners to come up and incubate them eggs!
Old 02-20-10, 11:25 AM   #19
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Best laid plans.....I planned to be on the lake by 10 a.m. yesterday. My office had other plans. I am a solo practitioner (employment litigation) so I am the boss but client meeting turned into a marathon, phone started ringing, fires breaking out, then my partner calls me and is sick and can't go. Took me until 4 to get out on the boat which gave me 90 minutes to fish. Threw a flipping bait crawfish looking thing and slow rolled a spinnerbait to no effect. At least I got to scout the lake a little more. Going to try again Sunday after church.....sigh. Oh yeah - also learned a little more from some locals and the lake manager (county lake). Water temp was 44 degrees so I was off on my guess as predicted here. No shad in the lake. Forage is mainly bream. Some craws. Everybody, to a man, says the lake is productive for bass, bream, crappies. So hope springs eternal....

Last edited by Callin' In Slick; 02-20-10 at 11:31 AM.
Callin' In Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 12:45 PM   #20
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

You'll get em next time Slick.
Old 02-21-10, 01:09 AM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Yeah hang in there, you whack them good one day.
Old 02-21-10, 10:44 AM   #22
Bassboss

Hmm, I see where you're coming from guys, but probably the reason I fish such heavy line is because I fish spinnerbaits, and worms in such heavy cover. But I suppose if you're not fishing heavy cover you should be fine, but personally, I just have more confidence throwing heavy line with spinnerbaits especially.
Old 02-21-10, 11:07 AM   #23
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Today is setting up pretty well for me - third day in a row with warmer temps. High today of 65. Barometer dropping with rain and cold front coming in late night/tomorrow. Mostly cloudy by the time I can get out there around 2. Not sure what I'm going to use as an excuse.......
Old 02-23-10, 08:27 PM   #24
jigfishinkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by callin' in slick View Post
if i've got anything way off base, please tell me. I'll be fishing a 110 acre stained lake, deepest point is 27-30 ft with a solid rep for bass. I'll be in a johnboat pushed by a tm with 45 lbs of thrust. Forage is allegedly (lady lake mgr sounded like she was guessing) crawfish, bream, crappie. Lots of cover in winter dormancy, stumps and timber in deep channels. Tomorrow will be the second day in a row in the 50s in a long time with a high of 57, wind 5-10 mph, 70 percent sun. Best guess on water temp is low 50s.

6 - bud lights
1 - cuban sandwich

skeet reese 7'2" mh fast rod
8040 pflueger 6.2:1 supreme spinning reel

Shakespeare 6'6" mh fast rod
shakespeare cirrus spinning reel (?)

bass pro qualifier 6' mh fast rod
bpq 6.4:1 baitcaster

browning 3 pc 7' mh fast rod
abu garcia revo s 6.4:1
12 lb mono, reaction inno sweet beaver flipping bait

shakespeare 6'6" mh fast rod
shakespeare baitcaster 6.4:1

is this plan in the ballpark? Any obvious miscues?
i love it!!!!!!!!:d
jigfishinkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.