Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-10, 11:06 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default All the hooks

We got straight, wide gap, extra wide gap, skip jack, drop shot shot, octopus, off set, and the list goes on and on... Myself, I use different kinds, but I still find myself back on the straight worm hooks with bait keeper barbs. What are the different purposes? Is it just a fad or marketing thing, or do they really serve a specific purpose? What is your take on the different styles? What do you put your confidence in?
Old 03-18-10, 12:00 AM   #2
Jrob78

I can't speak on what all the different hooks are for, I can however share what I use. I keep things pretty simple. I use Gamakatsu EWG hooks, in a variety of sizes for the vast majority of my soft plastic fishing. I like these hooks for wacky rigged trick worms and finesse style worms. I sometimes use these hooks for wacky rigged Senkos and drop shots. I also like to use these hooks for beaver style baits. Beavers have a tendency to slide down the hook, 3/0 seems to the best size.

That pretty much covers all my soft plastic hook needs.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 12:30 AM   #3
TN_Bassin

I use Gamakatsu straight shanks for just about every slender/long soft plastic bait [Brush hogs, big worms, and things of that nature] I use Gamakatsu EWG for, tubes, any craw bait, trick worms, flukes, etc, etc, etc to the fourth power.

Confidence isn't as much of a factor when I'm choosing which type of hook to buy as much as it is how that hook affects the way the bait moves in the water. Take a tube and try to rig it with a straight shank hook without making the tube look like it's bent.
Old 03-18-10, 07:21 AM   #4
rrw4258

I keep it pretty simple with Offset round bend worm hooks Bass Pro XPS Hooks. I also use the EWG XPS hooks from Bass Pro... along with Gamakatsu Drop Shot Hooks...

Alof of people knock the BPS XPS hooks because the point will roll over after catching some fish, but look at the price that you get them for on sale (3.34 for a 25 pack... 13 cents a hook)... I just pull the sharpening stone out or get a new hook out.

Ryan
Old 03-18-10, 08:27 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

EWG - I use EWG for most of my worm fishing. I normally use these for Flukes and Senkos as well.

Offset - I haven't really noticed enough difference to use these over EWG, so I just use EWG. I am wanting to try these for Senkos this year to see if I can get better hookups.

Straight Shank - I recently bought a pack of these to try with Senkos and pitching/flipping soft plastics like chigger craws, brush hogs, and beavers. The ones I bought were Owner's Straight Shanks hook, not any of the "punching" hooks with the plastic barb (all our BPS has of those was Trokar)

Dropshot - I use two different dropshot hooks. For open water and light weeds, I use the Gamakatsu Dropshot/Splitshot hooks. and for thicker cover, I use the Owner Dropshot hooks, cause you can texas rig your baits with them.

Octupus - I use gammy octopus hooks for wacky rigging, but I and going to give these a try this year.

BB
Old 03-18-10, 08:51 AM   #6
Bob Smith

For most of soft plastics I prefer the Gammy Offset J-bend hooks. My back up is the offset Owner hooks. Things start changing when I start throwing the toad type baits, but day in and day out I like my offset hooks. I seldom use EWG hooks anymore, never really liked them although I can't really put my finger on the "why I didn't like them".
Old 03-18-10, 10:41 AM   #7
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Jrob has said pretty much what I suggest and use.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 04:10 PM   #8
bassinbob

I like the Gammy skip gap hooks for just about everything . I like the Zoom style frog hooks for toads but I am going to try the Gambler Double Trouble Toad Hook this year. For Flipping I like ewg.
Old 03-18-10, 08:01 PM   #9
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use mostly Eagle Claw and Gamakatsu EWG worm hooks for any of my plastic worms, plastic lizards, and everything else imaginable.

For wacky-rigging I use a #2 or 1/0 Eagle Claw Baitholder hook that I usually use for carp.

Drop shot can be used with an Eagle Claw baitholder as well.
Old 03-18-10, 10:13 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

I know they get pushed around, but I really like the Laser Sharp straight shank brand of hooks. It's about like Ryan said about the price. About the only thing is if you leave a worm on it after a trip, it starts to rust. But I can not complain about any hook up rate between them and Gammy. I bought a pack of skip jacks and I might give them a try tomorrow on an outing.
Old 03-20-10, 04:05 PM   #11
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
For most of soft plastics I prefer the Gammy Offset J-bend hooks. My back up is the offset Owner hooks. Things start changing when I start throwing the toad type baits, but day in and day out I like my offset hooks. I seldom use EWG hooks anymore, never really liked them although I can't really put my finger on the "why I didn't like them".

I think i can tell you why you dont like them, or at least why i dont like ewg hooks. Its because the hook point is straight in line with the eye. On a 4/0 hook that only gives you about 1 1/2" of space the for the bass to put his top lip in there. This is also a problem when a big bass takes the whole t-rig in to his mouth sinker and all. when you set the hook the sinker acts like a wedge and pops the fish's mouth open far enough to let the hook escape. a regular offset would hook a fish in this situation.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 06:30 PM   #12
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post
I think i can tell you why you dont like them, or at least why i dont like ewg hooks. Its because the hook point is straight in line with the eye. On a 4/0 hook that only gives you about 1 1/2" of space the for the bass to put his top lip in there. This is also a problem when a big bass takes the whole t-rig in to his mouth sinker and all. when you set the hook the sinker acts like a wedge and pops the fish's mouth open far enough to let the hook escape. a regular offset would hook a fish in this situation.
That is usually the main argument in the offset vs. EWG debate, it does make sense in theory but I wonder how much this actually happens? Even if a big bass has his mouth clamped down on your bait, sinker and all and the sinker does mangage to slip through what are the odds that a big 5/0 EWG hook is gonna make it out scott free too?
Old 03-20-10, 11:17 PM   #13
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For smaller worms I use a Tru-Turn hook. I don't lose many fish with this hook. I use an EWG hook for bigger plastics. The wide gap does not get clogged up with plastic when setting the hook. For bulky plastics-flukes, brush hogs, Bamboo Sticks, etc. IMO you need an EWG hook.
Old 03-21-10, 12:08 AM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

I used the skip jack hooks yesterday with some soft jerk baits. I was really pleased how they held the bait in place. Now if I can just get one to hit to see if I can seal the deal with them.
Old 03-21-10, 05:28 PM   #15
Garry2rs

I use EWG with all thick baits like toad/frogs, Senko's and Fluke's. I have seen the plastic wad up and keep the hook from getting into the Bass' lip.
I bought a couple of styles of weedless hooks for Wacky and a couple for drop-shot...The monkey owns me, so I am ordering a box of the new Mustad Triple Grip short shank #2 hook that KVD is pimping...I will soon be changing the hooks on all my rattle baits...grin.

Having been in sales, I also know that the goal of all manufactures is to increase their product line so that the poor retailer will have to stock evermore items, despite the fact that his number of sales, remains the same...HAHAHA.

A classic case was drop-shotting. In the first articles we learned that all we needed was a small hook, any style, and a sinker also any style.
However, within a year we found out that in truth we needed special new hooks and designer weights...go figure!?!?
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 03:39 PM   #16
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I keep it pretty simple with Offset round bend worm hooks Bass Pro XPS Hooks. I also use the EWG XPS hooks from Bass Pro... along with Gamakatsu Drop Shot Hooks...

Alof of people knock the BPS XPS hooks because the point will roll over after catching some fish, but look at the price that you get them for on sale (3.34 for a 25 pack... 13 cents a hook)... I just pull the sharpening stone out or get a new hook out.

Ryan

Ryan and I use the same hooks so I'm with him.
Old 03-22-10, 06:58 PM   #17
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That is usually the main argument in the offset vs. EWG debate, it does make sense in theory but I wonder how much this actually happens? Even if a big bass has his mouth clamped down on your bait, sinker and all and the sinker does mangage to slip through what are the odds that a big 5/0 EWG hook is gonna make it out scott free too?
I agree that a 5/0 would be tough to escape a big fish's mouth but have you ever tried to hook a 5/0 hook into a flipping style bait such as a beaver, wooly hawg or a 3.25" tube? the hook is too big. I like to use those flipping style baits thats one of the best techniques in Oklahoma lakes. Thats why Tommy Biffle is a master with a flippin rod.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 07:59 PM   #18
Tavery5

I use the Gamakatsu EWG and EWG skip gap hooks for almost all of my plastics, I do however use owner, and standout hooks for drop-shot rigs.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 08:00 PM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post
I agree that a 5/0 would be tough to escape a big fish's mouth but have you ever tried to hook a 5/0 hook into a flipping style bait such as a beaver, wooly hawg or a 3.25" tube? the hook is too big. I like to use those flipping style baits thats one of the best techniques in Oklahoma lakes. Thats why Tommy Biffle is a master with a flippin rod.
Yeah you are right about that. I usually use a 3/0 hook for beaver and flipping type baits, even many craws. I have noticed lately that things seem to be trending toward straight shank hooks for flipping and even some recommending 6/0 octopus hooks snelled for flipping.
Old 03-27-10, 11:28 PM   #20
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

I use Gamatsku EWG for almost all of my softplastics. I have never really experimented with other hooks so I can't tell you why I like EWG over other kinds. I just know I can get consistent, solid hookups with EWG hooks.
hooked2132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 09:12 AM   #21
Naevulle
BassFishin.Com Member

I have moved from Gama hooks to Owner EWG 3/0 - 6/0 hooks for most of my worm fishing.
Naevulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 09:08 AM   #22
tim4081

I use Gammas skip gaps for most all soft plastics....I really like the way they hold the bait in place and I seem to tear up fewer baits. I use Gammas EWG for flipping heavy cover and their octopus hooks for wacky rigging. Size depends on size of the lure I'm using.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 02:52 PM   #23
fish_hunter
BassFishin.Com Member

I love the Trokar TK 130, or Flippin Hook! The baitholding capability is amazing, and it never fails to love bait no matter how thick of brush you get it. Even fish have a hard time gettin the bait off! One of the best products out there when it comes to baitholders!
fish_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 08:05 PM   #24
DJ_Callahan_27

Can't really see paying $2.50 each for a flippin hook. I think I would be at a bad disadvantage using it. If I paid that much for a hook I would think twice about flippin it to the center of a bush or flooded tree where the big ol pigs like to hang out, in fear of losing it. Whereas I can buy 5 gammys for just a touch more and have no worries about taking out a personal loan at the end of the day if I have a few hung up. Just my 2 cents. I know that they say that anyone can set the hook with half the pressure with the trokar hooks but lets be honest, if you fish for bass odds when you set the hook you instinctively rock back pretty hard on it. I know that I have had to cut the end off more than one hook that has found it way past the barb into my skin from a swing and a miss.
By the way, yeah I do like the EWG for flukes, craws,ochos, and other big body plastics but the offset round bends are good for worms and lizards and such. Straight shanks will almost always give you better hookup % but at the cost of more time spent adjusting the bait do to it bunching up on the hook. Agian just my 2 cents
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.