Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-11, 01:09 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default In a major funk....

Man.. I've been a major funk for the last week or three. I just can't get out of it. I've caught a few (5 or 6, lol) here there on wacky worms, and a popper. I've simplified things down to the basics, and still can't get a a grip. T-rigged worms, traps, spinnerbaits. No matter what, I can't seem to catch em consistently at all. I'm thinking it's just the hard fact of fishing a lake with limited shore access.. I just can't get to where the fish are.

I think need to find a pond, and fish it. lol.

Any tips/encouragement would be great guys... appreciate it.
Old 07-15-11, 07:15 AM   #2
keithdog

I've been there bud. Hang in there. The summer bite can be tough at times.
Old 07-15-11, 09:09 AM   #3
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Drag a c-rig.... its slow, boring, the bite is less than exciting but it gets down deep and you can throw it a mile, bottom line it catches fish when nothing else does. Good luck man!
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 09:30 AM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

or go ultralight and pray to catch dinks. At least you bend the rod and feel the thrill.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 09:31 AM   #5
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try a drop shot.
Old 07-15-11, 10:47 AM   #6
Embrey

been there all year. got a tourney tomorrow night and i can already smell the skunk.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 01:36 PM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks guys. I'll try a drop shot, and a c-rig today.. I'll probably toss a texas rig beaver around too... it's cloudy too, so a might wanna try a frog or something like that.
Old 07-15-11, 02:30 PM   #8
DaveW731

Default Shore fishing?

If I read your post right, you are fishing from shore...? If so, is there a possibility of either wading, or of purchasing a float tube or even a cheap used little jon boat? Anything to increase your range. When the bite is slow, it is often one fish here, one fish there, so anything you can do to get access to more water would be a bonus.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 04:15 PM   #9
Backwater Charlie

You having a tough time? This is one of the few times I'm actually doing good () been killing hooking up every trip on Spinnerbaits & Shallow Cranks.. had a 3LBE'r come un-buttoned yesterday on a big spinnerbait. i've been throwing any chartreuse spinnerbait as long as it has big blades, prefer colorado's but i hooked that one on a double willow. 3/8oz is a perfect size. for shallow cranks, crawdad color has been the key. my dad just caught a 15-incher on a shallow crank yesterday after I lost my big 'en..

if the bites slow, fish slow. a big worm, 8" thick bodied T-rigged with a 1/4oz weight dragged across the bottom. maybe you can coax those lazy fish into biting. before doing that, though, scope the area for active fish with a buzzbait or spinnerbait. always seems to work for me..

best of luck sammy.
Old 07-16-11, 05:20 AM   #10
IowaBasser

It could be worse... you could be moving across town and unable to fish for a month an a half due to packing, etc. - oh wait, that's me!!! ...If the move were only for a nicer house or something, but it's to a cheaper/smaller town home to save $$

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the water in the middle of August. I'm especially looking forward to getting back in the canoe to do some small-mouth fishing after a great outting the only time on the river this year. I can't ever remember catching 4 fish over 15 inches in one day on my favorite little river (one each 15, 16, 17 and 18 inches.) Five largemouth over 15 inches on a lake, yes - but not little river smallmouth which fight infinitely harder!

Last edited by IowaBasser; 07-16-11 at 05:27 AM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 11:47 AM   #11
rogatsby
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm thinking about throwing tiny 1 inch grubs to see if I can get some more bites.
rogatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 12:22 PM   #12
Embrey

loading the boat now. im thinking id rather watch cars rust.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 12:25 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
If I read your post right, you are fishing from shore...? If so, is there a possibility of either wading, or of purchasing a float tube or even a cheap used little jon boat? Anything to increase your range. When the bite is slow, it is often one fish here, one fish there, so anything you can do to get access to more water would be a bonus.

Or a canoe, kayak or a little boat with a trolling motor. Getting off the shore is the first step to be sure.
Old 07-16-11, 01:30 PM   #14
aikenyounggun

You're approaching this all wrong, you need to start asking all your friends and everyone you meet if they live on a pond (a stocked pond). That will help, haha.

Just keep in there, welcome to summer fishing though. You either find them stacked up or not at all.
Old 07-16-11, 11:03 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Nope, I wish I did though... I'm plum broke, lol. Might be able get a personal pontoon pretty soon... that would really help a lot. I saw a guys catch two nice bass day punching some mats 60 yards away from me!
Old 07-20-11, 08:37 AM   #16
DaveW731

Default Assuming that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Nope, I wish I did though... I'm plum broke, lol. Might be able get a personal pontoon pretty soon... that would really help a lot. I saw a guys catch two nice bass day punching some mats 60 yards away from me!
OK, so if you are stuck with fishing the same lake from the same spot or two from shore, then I would look at this as a great opportunity to experiment with techniques that I don't know very well: instead of simplify, AMPLIFY . Make a list of approaches you have always wanted to try. Pick a "new tactic of the day" and try it out. Dropshot, maybe? Float a mini tube under a slip bobber? How good are you at using a walk the dog type bait? Any old baits you want to modify?
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 10:32 AM   #17
lilmule

Sometimes we just dont catch fish,its called fishing not catching and not catching and or trying to figure it out is why we attempt along with catching.
Often with the amount of fry available at times hard to get bit on larger offerings.
Naturally we enjoy our outings if we do succeed ,but just being out sometimes in an attempt is enough.
I got my cheerios this morning catching half a doz short smallies,(12 in)on small 3 1/2 glass minnows(slender fluke),while not keepers they were fun.Ps from the bank,last time out in the boat blanked.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 11:46 AM   #18
oglejust

ive been catching them on a 10inch culprit worm and on a shallow crankbait.. also a few new-to-me tactics like shakey head and drop shot
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 12:50 PM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
OK, so if you are stuck with fishing the same lake from the same spot or two from shore, then I would look at this as a great opportunity to experiment with techniques that I don't know very well: instead of simplify, AMPLIFY . Make a list of approaches you have always wanted to try. Pick a "new tactic of the day" and try it out. Dropshot, maybe? Float a mini tube under a slip bobber? How good are you at using a walk the dog type bait? Any old baits you want to modify?
Sounds good. I definitely love throwing a spooks and such. I've never been much of a c-rig thrower.. might as well start now.
Old 07-20-11, 01:25 PM   #20
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Sounds good. I definitely love throwing a spooks and such. I've never been much of a c-rig thrower.. might as well start now.
thats what ive been doin.. trying something new everytime, its the 1st step in being able to successfully use all lures.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 05:08 PM   #21
blaze1
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
You're approaching this all wrong, you need to start asking all your friends and everyone you meet if they live on a pond (a stocked pond). That will help, haha.

Just keep in there, welcome to summer fishing though. You either find them stacked up or not at all.
So true. I have a few friends with ponds and a few hidden ponds in tick alley those are the only places I've caught any bass. Go for the shade that's what I do. Friends with boats will always up the antee.
blaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.