Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-11, 03:02 PM   #1
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trailer hook and all......still not producing a fish??????

Well Ive had great sucess on a buzzbait in years past but the other day something just wasnt quite right. My dad and i started fishing and I caught 3 on a white chatterbait really quick so my dad picked up his buzzbait and started throwing and didnt get anything from the back of the boat where he usually stands. To make a long story short we switched places and withing 15min we had lost 3 fish, all within the 4-5pound range. We both had a strike king buzzbaits and mustad trailer hooks but couldnt get them in the boat. Theyd blow up and take off but near the boat they would come off. We have NEVER happened in the past. What would yall do? Is this something that youve seen happen before? Is there a bait that would secceed in putting these fish in the boat?
Old 07-20-11, 03:51 PM   #2
Bassman34
BassFishin.Com Member

alot of times after i have a hook up with a fish i'll go ahead and give them another jerk to try and make sure the hook is good and deep. i also just read a recent article saying that if your using say a buzz bait and they're missing it to try and shorten the skirt up some, dont know if that would work or not but worth a try.
Bassman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 04:22 PM   #3
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Alright thanks
Old 07-20-11, 05:09 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just recently started having success with buzzbaits, so I'm no expert. Two thoughts come to mind. Try totally removing the skirt and fish it bare hooked. I've read about doing this several times for short strikers. Also, I would try putting the buzz bait down and tossing a fluke style bait and see if they take that bait deeper and more agressivly into their mouths.
Old 07-20-11, 06:01 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Also make sure the hooks are SHARP. Drag the point lightly across your fingernail. If it just slides across without catching a couple of times and leaving a line scratched on your nail, it's too dull.
Old 07-20-11, 06:08 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you can help it, NEVER give the fish any slack and always apply pressure to the fish. If there's any play in the line, the fish can use the lure's weight and momentum to throw the lure, especially with a lure like a buzzbait.

BB
Old 07-20-11, 07:00 PM   #7
nobass

one thing i do when this happens is take a treble hook and cut of the bottom treble. this almost always gets them in the boat. they aren't really going after the bait when you loose them with trailer. hook. just hitting it out of agression. the treble gets them on short hits
Old 07-20-11, 07:13 PM   #8
Bassboss

I'd change colors. Sounds like they just weren't eating it real good. If you change colors, they might take it in a little better resulting in a better hook up.
Old 07-20-11, 10:29 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

I would shorten the skirt a little or lose it totally and put a fluke on the hook ( thread it on, secret trick). And don't give em slack, keep trying though, might just of been a fluke (funny, haha, sorry-pun)
Old 07-21-11, 09:17 AM   #10
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I dont know what power or length rod you are using but a longer slightly softer rod has been the key for me and my buzz probs. Its just more forgiving at boatside. maybe its just the muskie fisherman in me but the boatside fight is where you make it or brake it. Also a long net can be your best friend ; )
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 06:09 PM   #11
Backwater Charlie

Same thing happened to me with Spinnerbaits...
Old 07-22-11, 02:47 PM   #12
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuskie5 View Post
I dont know what power or length rod you are using but a longer slightly softer rod has been the key for me and my buzz probs. Its just more forgiving at boatside. maybe its just the muskie fisherman in me but the boatside fight is where you make it or brake it. Also a long net can be your best friend ; )
Its a 7ft med/hvy with 17lb XPS Flouro 6.3:1 gear ratio reel. I will definately take several diff "species" of buzzbaits next time. I cant wait to try a fluke threaded on. That sounds amazing. I appreciate the advice guys
Old 07-22-11, 03:38 PM   #13
mrmuskie5

The length sounds good but i use a med. not that a med/hvy wont work. Fluoro though? I use mono on all my topwaters (except frogs of coarse) i like the extra stretch at boatside. I undertand if you dont have a bunch of different rods to spool up differently and with a buzz mono isnt a must (they dont float anyways and its constantly moving) but fc is a little less forgiving. just my 2 cents.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 03:44 PM   #14
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah imma big mono person but I have been experimenting with XPS fluoro so I figured Id try it other wise Id be throwing mono :P
Old 07-24-11, 07:21 PM   #15
Fish30114

Yes on making sure hooks are sharp, important on fast moving baits, the fact that you have them on til they're close to the boat tells me their taking the bait in good enough, I like the idea someone else offered of putting a real strong hookset once they are 'on', especially with 3lb plus fish there is a ton of hard bone in their mouths, so you really have to get the hook into that, and a lot of times the hook may not be really deep, and as they get close to the boat the angles change, and the leverage may be letting them shake it loose. I wouldn't change a lot else in the scheme if the fish are consistently hitting the color/type you are running....a fluke is a different type of presentation entirely, I like them, but it ain't what you are talking about...I would rather work on getting fish boated that were hitting a bait with success already!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 06:23 AM   #16
SaminVa

Threaded fluke??? What's the secret?
Old 07-26-11, 03:16 PM   #17
Dave63

Had that exact experience this weekend in a tourney. It was a windy period right after a rain went through...The would blast it and then, nothing. I tried quick hitting. I tried waiting until I felt the fish. I put on a trailer hook. I flipped the skirt upside down (chartreuse and white). Nothing worked. I finally hooked one, but it came unbuttoned at the boat. Probably missed 8-10 fish.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.