Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-10, 07:58 PM   #1
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hybrid Line

Whats the big attraction with hybrid lines? Why would you use them over conventional lines?
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:18 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like hybrid lines for a few reasons. One is they are more abrasion resistant than mono, they are stronger. The pound for pound breaking strength of hybrids is higher than mono. In that regard they are more like fluoro. They are more manageable than fluoro though, if you stick with lower lb tests they don't have a ton of memory. Hybrid lines are also more dense than mono, because of the fluorocarbon in them, this makes them transmit vibration better and stretch less.

I have found that I can get away with 10lb test hybrid for the bulk of my fishing applications, I get more line on my reel and it casts better because of the thinner diameter. I like Yo-Zuri Hybrid and P-Line CX. I would normally use 14 lb test mono on these same set ups. I feel as though I get some of the benefits of fluorocarbon without some of the things I don't like about fluoro and without the added cost of fluoro. For what it's worth I also use KVD line conditioner and hybrids seem to be in the middle of the road as far as float ability, they don't float as well as mono but the don't sink like fluoro.

I also know that some hybrids are nylon, coated with fluorocarbon and some are infused with fluorocarbon. I don't really know what the difference is though.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 11:14 PM   #3
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I've used Yo-Zuri Hybrid on baitcasting gear, and honestly wasn't impressed. Memory was horrible, worse than any of the fluoros I've tried, even though I also use KVD Line and Lure. I also thought it was brittle, and I had a LOT of knots fail, which had never been more than an isolated problem for me before. I'm tempted to give it another shot, as I may have had a bad spool, because I am definitely the minority opinion from all the praise I've heard about it. And since the price of Yo-Zuri is reasonable, I'm willing to give it one more chance.
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 12:45 AM   #4
Jrob78

I haven't ever had any problems with it being brittle at all. Memory definitely becomes a issue with anything higher than 12 lb in my experience though.
Old 02-13-10, 04:29 PM   #5
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish heavy cover such as alot of lilly pads. Will the hybrid line cut through pads like braid?
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 07:02 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
I fish heavy cover such as alot of lilly pads. Will the hybrid line cut through pads like braid?
Not in my experience.
Old 02-13-10, 08:42 PM   #7
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstastic View Post
No.
I fish a lot of senkos with 10 pound P-line hybrid, Most hybrids are mono coated with Flourocarbon. You get real good abrasion resistance and the 10 lb line is very strong, but it will not cut thru pad stalks like a heavy braid will.

It will pull thru pad leaves Ok, but will abraid on the stalks and eventually break like any mono will.
Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 11:08 PM   #8
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yozuri Hybird is NOT a mono COATED with Flouro line.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 12:06 AM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Quote:
Yo-Zuri Hybrid is the first and only fishing line that molecularly bonds nylon and fluorocarbon during extrusion.
Not exactly sure what that means. Could still be coated and "molecularly bonded" I suppose.
Old 02-14-10, 12:23 AM   #10
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
LOL

OK

Then it is a Mono " coated " with Flouro...or Mono " covered " with flouro..........it is still mono core with a flouro covering......
Old 02-14-10, 10:26 AM   #11
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Bass Man View Post
I've used Yo-Zuri Hybrid on baitcasting gear, and honestly wasn't impressed. Memory was horrible, worse than any of the fluoros I've tried, even though I also use KVD Line and Lure. I also thought it was brittle, and I had a LOT of knots fail, which had never been more than an isolated problem for me before. I'm tempted to give it another shot, as I may have had a bad spool, because I am definitely the minority opinion from all the praise I've heard about it. And since the price of Yo-Zuri is reasonable, I'm willing to give it one more chance.
Maybe you got a bad batch. While I do have to agree with pretty bad memory, even with KVD line and lure, I've never experienced any brittleness or knot failure with the Hyrbid. If I'm going to be fishing something that doesn't require much sensitivity, and needs lots of abrasion resistance, Hybrid is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Not exactly sure what that means. Could still be coated and "molecularly bonded" I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscat7 View Post
LOL

OK

Then it is a Mono " coated " with Flouro...or Mono " covered " with flouro..........it is still mono core with a flouro covering......
I believe some of P-line's copolymer or hybrid lines are bonded in a similar manner to the yo-zuri, but I could be wrong. But some, like P-line Floroclear, are essentially fluoro coated mono.

Straight from Yo-Zuri's site: How they make the Hybrid.

How other lines, like Floroclear are made.

BB
Old 02-14-10, 10:49 AM   #12
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstastic View Post
Whats the big attraction with hybrid lines? Why would you use them over conventional lines?
Yep - P-Line CXX is the best all round line ever made IMO. Been using it for most of my applications for about 12 years.

There are others out there, but none have worked as well for me.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 03:22 PM   #13
screwballl

I have had an excellent time with PLine CX and CXX which is a Copoly.

Copoly = Co-Polymer or 2 or more types of polymers combined for a specific line type. It is not mono, it is not flouro. Some of them use an outer coating of flouro for less visibility underwater and better for finesse fishing. They may combine the polymers for small lightweight line and then may use a different set of polymers for larger test or better visibility. The CX comes in clear fluorescent which is easily seen above the water and hides very well underwater, then they have the fluorescent green for good visibility above and below, usually better for muddy water. Then there is the moss green which works well for areas with heavy cover so the line blends in with the vegetation.

I have pretty much switched entirely to the P-line CX except the heavy cover that needs braid (then I have had the best luck with Power Pro green). The copoly has enough buoyancy to stay on top of the water for top water/shallow lures and enough invisibility and strength for deep uses. Since most fish in my area are 5 pounds or less I stick with 10-12 lb test.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 04:29 PM   #14
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
I have had an excellent time with PLine CX and CXX which is a Copoly.

Copoly = Co-Polymer or 2 or more types of polymers combined for a specific line type. It is not mono, it is not flouro. Some of them use an outer coating of flouro for less visibility underwater and better for finesse fishing. They may combine the polymers for small lightweight line and then may use a different set of polymers for larger test or better visibility. The CX comes in clear fluorescent which is easily seen above the water and hides very well underwater, then they have the fluorescent green for good visibility above and below, usually better for muddy water. Then there is the moss green which works well for areas with heavy cover so the line blends in with the vegetation.

I have pretty much switched entirely to the P-line CX except the heavy cover that needs braid (then I have had the best luck with Power Pro green). The copoly has enough buoyancy to stay on top of the water for top water/shallow lures and enough invisibility and strength for deep uses. Since most fish in my area are 5 pounds or less I stick with 10-12 lb test.
P-Line CX is excellent line, Very abrasion resistant and limp enough to use 10 lb. test on 1000 - 2500 size spinning reels. No problems with knot strength. The CXX is better on baitcasters.
Old 02-14-10, 04:39 PM   #15
Jrob78

I actually prefer the CX over CXX on baitcasters too, it has less memory.

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-14-10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 09:09 PM   #16
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I just ordered some p-line CX in 8, 10 and 15 lb sizes to try for different applications.
8 for Spinning, 10 for cranking, and 15 for spinner-baits, worming and such.

I've read lots of good reports on it from other fisherman and other forums too. Figured what the heck, it' snot too expensive to try.
Old 02-14-10, 10:36 PM   #17
BigBassin144

What some argue about copolymers that are fluorocarbon coated mono is that it doesn't make it clear like fluoro. They say it is like putting a coat of clear paint on your car. It doesn't make what is underneath clear. What do you guys think?

BB
Old 02-15-10, 12:32 PM   #18
screwballl

In this case, since I have actually used it (the Pline CX), it is tough to see it out of the water when the water is moving/light chop and beneath the water it is not visible, even in the clearest and smoothest of ponds/lakes. If my perfect vision and polarized glasses can't see it, there is a good chance fish are not likely to see it either.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 03:54 PM   #19
rodnreel

I can't speak to the Yo-Zuri line, but I use the P-Line CX line a lot for both crankbait and spinnerbait fishing and absolutely love it. Very manageable line, especially the 12 lb and under. I use KVD Line and Lure on anything over 12 lb. and don't have any problems with it being stiff. Great line for the money.
Old 02-15-10, 06:36 PM   #20
bassboogieman

I use Yo-Zuri and like it. If you think the regular has a bit of too much memory for your preference, give the UltraSoft a try. A bit less memory, better on spinning reels than the regular Hybrid. But I don't have any problems with the regular on baitcasters.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 12:14 PM   #21
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Yep - P-Line CXX is the best all round line ever made IMO. Been using it for most of my applications for about 12 years.

There are others out there, but none have worked as well for me.
I didn't know it had been around that long.

I've used only the #6, #8, and #17, and I hated the #17 but think the lighter stuff is great. The #17 was maybe the stiffest line, toughest I've ever used.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 12:32 PM   #22
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
I didn't know it had been around that long.

I've used only the #6, #8, and #17, and I hated the #17 but think the lighter stuff is great. The #17 was maybe the stiffest line, toughest I've ever used.
Yeah - the original mono P-Line was around in the 80's already. I believe the first time I saw the CXX was in 1997, but it could have been available before that.

For heavy applications, it can't be beat. The KVD line and lure makes it handle plenty good on baitcasters, all the way up to 20 lb, at least for me.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 05:49 PM   #23
BigBassin144

With all the good I've heard recently about CX and CXX, I may have to give these a try. Of the ones I've used, P-line floroclear is my favorite copolymer line. Its very limp and managable. It seems like p-line has figured it out when it comes to copolymers.

BB
Old 02-16-10, 05:59 PM   #24
Jrob78

P-Line is running the buy two spools get $6 back rebate too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.