Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-11, 09:28 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Buzzbait question

The thought came to me today about altering the blade of a buzz bait and thought I would throw it by you guys. I've never had the luck some guys have with buzz baits. However I have had decent success using a buzz spoon I own. One big difference is that the blade on the buzz spoon is smaller than any buzz bait I've ever seen and thus it causes the same water commotion as a traditional buzzbait, but only more subdued. That got me to thinking, why not use plyers and bend the blade on the buzz bait so they have a bit of a flatter shape, and in doing so, I could create a quieter, less obnoxious sounding buzz bait. Has anyone thought of doing this and if so, how well did it work out?
Old 07-03-11, 09:49 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It needs cup to be able to spin one would need a jig to rebend just as with a prop,less surface area more subtle but also harder to keep it up,the more the easier.
Nothing wrong with experimenting place some smaller blades on some,drill holes in some blades etc.No end to the ways one can alter them some to their benefit some not,but what works one place may not another.
Types of blades differ a lot as well,these are some delta blade baits that are more subtle go thru grass better and designed by me for wake baiting or even underwater buzzbaiting.

Smaller sizes in it are easier to keep on top if that is what is desired,I use them mostly under exception be bright painted ones.

I call them DBBB double barrel bass busters,the dleta blades turning opposite directions give off flash like three willow leafs not a solid flash like with larger blades.
Experiment a bit wont hurt least not much you will destrroy some and come out with some quite different that work.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 04:57 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

KD, I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I have had my best luck on the smaller Strike Buzz baits. Like the bitsy buzz in the 1/8 oz and the little larger 3/8. Don't let the weight fool you though, they will hum. They have an easy and slow plane speed too. They don't make as much loud commotion either. I can't stand to listen to a loud whistling, flopping buzzbait.
Old 07-04-11, 10:16 PM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
KD, I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I have had my best luck on the smaller Strike Buzz baits. Like the bitsy buzz in the 1/8 oz and the little larger 3/8. Don't let the weight fool you though, they will hum. They have an easy and slow plane speed too. They don't make as much loud commotion either. I can't stand to listen to a loud whistling, flopping buzzbait.
Actually Bubba, I have two of those. They are pretty neat little buzzbaits!
Old 07-05-11, 12:16 AM   #5
3dkicker

If you bend the blades towards the front of the bait you'll alter the speed of the revolutions. Same with bending them back towards the hook. Bend forward to slow the bait down, bend back to speed it up.....I think??? Not 100%. KVD explains this on one of the Bass Pro's shows.

Me personally I've done best with a white plastic four blade prop (don't know the blade size) on a 3/8oz body with custom trailer and trailer hook. Very slow bait that crawls along.
Old 07-05-11, 07:49 AM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
It needs cup to be able to spin one would need a jig to rebend just as with a prop,less surface area more subtle but also harder to keep it up,the more the easier.
Nothing wrong with experimenting place some smaller blades on some,drill holes in some blades etc.No end to the ways one can alter them some to their benefit some not,but what works one place may not another.
Types of blades differ a lot as well,these are some delta blade baits that are more subtle go thru grass better and designed by me for wake baiting or even underwater buzzbaiting.

Smaller sizes in it are easier to keep on top if that is what is desired,I use them mostly under exception be bright painted ones.

I call them DBBB double barrel bass busters,the dleta blades turning opposite directions give off flash like three willow leafs not a solid flash like with larger blades.
Experiment a bit wont hurt least not much you will destrroy some and come out with some quite different that work.
Those are very interresting. I've never seen a trailer third blade in a buzz bait like that. I have an idea you might want to try. Make a normal size buzzbait, say 3/8 oz. and use two buzz bait blades that are about half the normal size, such as those found on the small 1/8 oz. models. I'd really like to try something like that out.
Old 07-05-11, 03:34 PM   #7
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try drilling some holes in the blade it causes it to gurgle (is that a word lol) and produce alot more of a bubble trail. just be carefull not to get drill happy to many hole and you got a funny spinnerbait.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 04:20 PM   #8
DaveW731

Default I like the drilling idea!

I've got a couple old tri-wing plastic blade buzzers that I never use and I would be happy to experiment with. Any suggestions about the size of the holes? These baits are 1/2oz
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 05:27 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
I've got a couple old tri-wing plastic blade buzzers that I never use and I would be happy to experiment with. Any suggestions about the size of the holes? These baits are 1/2oz
I have one I bought with holes pre-drilled in it. I don't have it here with me (it's in my tackle box up at the lake), but I'd guess the holes are about the size made by a paper punch or maybe just slightly larger. Maybe the pics at this link will help?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 05:41 PM   #10
bamabassman

mr muskie....i have never heard of drilling holes int he blades.............BUT I LIKE IT. it makes a lot of sense too. bubbles and a low gurgle (yes it is a word,lol) looks more like a dying shad i think. thanks oyu for that tip. now i got to go out and dril a few holes. experement some. hehehe.
Old 07-05-11, 05:50 PM   #11
Top Tiger

The wife is looking at me with that " Oh Lord, he's got the drill out again" look.
Great idea.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 07:19 PM   #12
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
mr muskie....i have never heard of drilling holes int he blades.............BUT I LIKE IT. it makes a lot of sense too. bubbles and a low gurgle (yes it is a word,lol) looks more like a dying shad i think. thanks oyu for that tip. now i got to go out and dril a few holes. experement some. hehehe.

John, go to Walmart or Academy, they already have the drilled blades.
KD, my preference down here are the bigger buzzbaits and I bend the blades to have more cup in them. I like my baits to slurp at the slowest possible retrieves. I also believe in tipping my buzzbaits with attracting trailers like twin tail or single tail grubs, Uncle Josh Pork Frogs and even shimmy tail type baits like small swimbaits. I believe the larger profile looks like something causing commotion on top and something larger underneath it trying to eat it. The whole package looks like an easy meal to big ol large jaw!
Old 07-06-11, 06:44 AM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
John, go to Walmart or Academy, they already have the drilled blades.
KD, my preference down here are the bigger buzzbaits and I bend the blades to have more cup in them. I like my baits to slurp at the slowest possible retrieves. I also believe in tipping my buzzbaits with attracting trailers like twin tail or single tail grubs, Uncle Josh Pork Frogs and even shimmy tail type baits like small swimbaits. I believe the larger profile looks like something causing commotion on top and something larger underneath it trying to eat it. The whole package looks like an easy meal to big ol large jaw!
Thanks Bob, I'll have to try those tips. This past weekend was the first weekend I ever had any success with buzz baits. Up till now I'd only caught three bass my entire life on buzz baits. Now that I started seeing results, I want to try them more.
Old 07-06-11, 06:52 AM   #14
lilmule

Drilling holes is a good trick, make sure they are even on each side one on each side is generally enough,Hart makes one like that available normally at wally world.
As for my own those are smaller than normal blades as delta,and secret weapon makes one with a spinnerbait blade trailer.If the intended desire is to keep it on top the additional blade gives more flash plus more lift.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 07:51 AM   #15
keithdog

Take a look at the Cavitron buzzbaits to find blades already pre-drilled. I have a couple of these buzzbaits and they perform very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAV-BLK-BLK-1.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	6940  
Old 07-06-11, 05:25 PM   #16
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Take a look at the Cavitron buzzbaits to find blades already pre-drilled. I have a couple of these buzzbaits and they perform very well.
X2

Cavitron's were Zooker's buzzbait of choice. I believe white with gold blades.

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 07-06-11 at 05:56 PM.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 10:34 AM   #17
SaminVa

I 2nd the Cavitrons... they work well for me. You can still change the cup angle of the blade for a faster or slower retreive. Sam
Old 07-10-11, 10:54 AM   #18
keithdog

Here is another question. While there are many folks who change out the blades on their spinnerbaits, I've never heard of anyone changing the blade on a buzzbait. Is this something that is ever done to change the performance, sound and speed of a buzzbait. For example. Say you want to present a buzzbait with a more subdued action. Couldn't someone simply remove the larger blade and install a smaller blade?
Old 07-20-11, 04:55 PM   #19
DaveW731

Default tradeoff on blade size

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Here is another question. While there are many folks who change out the blades on their spinnerbaits, I've never heard of anyone changing the blade on a buzzbait. Is this something that is ever done to change the performance, sound and speed of a buzzbait. For example. Say you want to present a buzzbait with a more subdued action. Couldn't someone simply remove the larger blade and install a smaller blade?
Yes, you could, however smaller blade= less lift, so harder to get it up (so to speak) and it requires a faster retrieve to keep it on top.
On a more general level, change is definately possible. For example, like suggested above, I did drill holes in my old plastic tri wing buzzer (one 1/4" hole per wing) and it really sounds different.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.