Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-11, 01:21 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Poss braided line problem/or reel?

This year I put my dedicated froggin rod together which included a Revo S reel I've owned for a few years. I've never had any issue with the reel, but it's always had mono line on it. This year, I spooled it with 50 pound Performance braid. Ever since then I've had issues when reeling the line back in. It casts just fine, but the reel hangs up so to speak when reeling the line back in. Part of the revolution of the handle turns smooth and then it like binds up a bit, then reels smoothly again. Any idea whats going on here? I'm tempted to replace the braided line with something else to see if thats the problem, but I'd prefer to leave it on if I can figure out whats going on. I do use the KVD line conditioner religiously.
Old 07-17-11, 01:51 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Might be a couple of different things, but what comes to mind is the plastic gears that are used to turn the worm shaft, sometimes one of the teeth will get a chip in it and cause this problem. The other thing that comes to mind is a damaged area on the worm shaft. Either of these are capable of causing the problem you describe.

You can do some easy troubleshooting by removing the paw cap and paw, turn the handle of the reel and see if the problem is gone, if so, then you have an issue with your paw or worm shaft. If not, you will need to pull the side cover to do a little more investigation, or send it to Kevin.

Just thought that it could also be damage to the main gear or pinion, what made me think this is that you said it started when you switched the reel to braided line. If you have the drag cranked alll the way down and set the hook hard it can put allot of stress on the gears and possibly damage a tooth.
Old 07-18-11, 07:48 AM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post

You can do some easy troubleshooting by removing the paw cap and paw, turn the handle of the reel and see if the problem is gone, if so, then you have an issue with your paw or worm shaft.
What is the paw cap and paw? And how do I remove it?
Old 07-18-11, 08:23 AM   #4
lilmule

Place the reel in your hand turn upside down,look at where line goes tru to reel its a bar called a worm gear and on the bottom of line leveler is a screw thats the paw cap,pays to replace the gears as well.Any reel repair guy can do fairly quickly and return.
Im ol fashioned like cheap older metal gears in reels and not expensive plastic stuff.
Although I own both,seems the slower gr are better suited for frogging to me like 6/3/1 than the 7/1 stuff.
My new Diawa 7/1 feels like mesh problems for a milisec when hanging a 4 lber back in the jungle while the older 6/3 feel smooth and crank them out.But have weak hands due to surgery.
If its not a gear problem then try just letting line out till spool is low then reel back in with just water tension on it,then when casting make sure level wind is located near center of reel,sometimes they just get off a bit with braid and tend to place line on unevenly if no tension is applied.And slightly worn if level wind is over to one side may take more than one revolution to catch thus getting it out of whack,eventual gear replacement but that trick will cure on temp basis.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-18-11 at 08:38 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 09:02 AM   #5
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats a PAWL cap guys...it retains the PAWL
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 09:10 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Keith, on the Revos, the pawl (it is pawl by the way ) cap in the thing that moves back and forth and gets in the way when palming the reel with the index finger on top of the rod. It's part of the levelwind system.

Easy to remove: Take a regular screwdriver (usually a bigger one) and unscrew the round black cap on the bottom of the front of the reel. There should be a little cylindrical metal piece with what looks like the end of a regular screwdriver on the end. This is the pawl.

There's a common problem on Revo's with the levelwind system, but it usually results in the reel working and NOT the levelwind system. I haven't heard of it causing the reel to hang up, but I wouldn't rule it out.

BB
Old 07-18-11, 09:11 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
Thats a PAWL cap guys...it retains the PAWL
haha, you posted while I was trying to find a picture of the line pawl for my post. But yes, it is pawl.

BB
Old 07-18-11, 09:21 AM   #8
Boze
BassFishin.Com Member

Used to have to replace those deals on my old Ambassadeur Reels all the time with the heavy usaging. Don't get to fish that much any more but I remember the line would pile up on one side of the reel when the Pawl was beginning to wear.

When those things wear out, I don't think it matters what line is loaded, the Pawl just doesn't catch the groove and start back across maintaining the retrieve.

Yup, remember those things well.

Take Care Y'all

Boze
Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 05:05 PM   #9
Tavery5

Keith, hope that me not spelling PAWL correctly did not create any confusion for you. The PAWL is one of the parts of the reel that wear the quickest, be careful when you remove the PAWL cap and PAWL, as there is usually a tiny little washer, used as a spacer in there as well.
Old 07-18-11, 07:17 PM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boze View Post
Don't get to fish that much any more but I remember the line would pile up on one side of the reel when the Pawl was beginning to wear.

Boze
That is something else I've noticed is the line piling up more to the right than the left.
Old 07-18-11, 09:26 PM   #11
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Keith, the worm gear or pawl is probably your problem. You will feel any bad spot each time it gets there. It can sometimes just need cleaned, but if it has a spot that always feels rough, there is probably a damaged groove in the gear.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 10:59 PM   #12
keithdog

Ok, tonight I messed with the reel and I can tell you I should not be messing with the reel, lol. The pawl cap when unscrewed does not clear the frame in front of it. So I started disassembling the reel to loosen the frame in front of the pawl cap and got it off. Man! Everything in that part of the reel was FAR dirtier than I had realized. I wanted to remove the worm gear to clean it good but for the life of me can't figure out how to get it out. Took the left plate off and removed the clip and washer from the end of the worm gear and it won't come out. Can't figure out how to remove the plastic shroud the worm gear rests in either. I removed all 3 screws too. Anyways, I cleaned everything as best I could, put everything back together, and lubed the worm gear. It seems to reel smooth as butter right now. Maybe it was just very dirty and some particle was up in that worm gear. I don't know. But it seems to be working very well right now. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 07-20-11, 08:15 AM   #13
Captmikestarrett

If place on a beach in the sand and cover it. Then pour an entire 16 oz bottle of coke on it while buried the issue will go away. Works everytime.. once you completed this procedure you log onto Bass Pro Shops online store and buy a new one.. Once it arrives in the mail remove the fixed reel and replace with the new reel. Sell the fixed reel at a yard sale..

You see the proper application of sticky fluids and grity substance can fix anything..

Thank me later

Signed the Bait Monkey..
Old 07-20-11, 03:20 PM   #14
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive had the same problem with a shimano 200dpv. Follow Tavery5. It'll probably happen again buut just repeat the process.
Old 07-20-11, 05:07 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Ok, tonight I messed with the reel and I can tell you I should not be messing with the reel, lol. The pawl cap when unscrewed does not clear the frame in front of it. So I started disassembling the reel to loosen the frame in front of the pawl cap and got it off. Man! Everything in that part of the reel was FAR dirtier than I had realized. I wanted to remove the worm gear to clean it good but for the life of me can't figure out how to get it out. Took the left plate off and removed the clip and washer from the end of the worm gear and it won't come out. Can't figure out how to remove the plastic shroud the worm gear rests in either. I removed all 3 screws too. Anyways, I cleaned everything as best I could, put everything back together, and lubed the worm gear. It seems to reel smooth as butter right now. Maybe it was just very dirty and some particle was up in that worm gear. I don't know. But it seems to be working very well right now. Thanks for your help guys!

Keith, to remove the worm gear and shroud, you have to remove the handle side plate, it is made so that it only pulls through from that side of the reel. It is a little more involved to remove it completely, so if it seems to work fine now, you might leave well enough alone, or like I mentioned before, send it to Kevin and let him do a good cleaning of the entire reel, I promise you, it will be better than new when he is done.
Old 07-20-11, 05:21 PM   #16
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
If place on a beach in the sand and cover it. Then pour an entire 16 oz bottle of coke on it while buried the issue will go away. Works everytime.. once you completed this procedure you log onto Bass Pro Shops online store and buy a new one.. Once it arrives in the mail remove the fixed reel and replace with the new reel. Sell the fixed reel at a yard sale..

You see the proper application of sticky fluids and grity substance can fix anything..

Thank me later

Signed the Bait Monkey..
LMAO! The monkey has all the answers, haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Keith, to remove the worm gear and shroud, you have to remove the handle side plate, it is made so that it only pulls through from that side of the reel. It is a little more involved to remove it completely, so if it seems to work fine now, you might leave well enough alone, or like I mentioned before, send it to Kevin and let him do a good cleaning of the entire reel, I promise you, it will be better than new when he is done.
Tavery, I'll be sending it off to Kevin as you suggested before I go into the handle side of the reel. lol I'm not allowed to go there!!!
Old 07-24-11, 08:37 PM   #17
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

how and to where do you send something to Kevin, and just to be sure--Kevin who?
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 08:56 PM   #18
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm Kevin, aka pro reel
www.proreelservice.com
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 11:44 AM   #19
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I'm Kevin, aka pro reel
www.proreelservice.com

Thank you sir--I'll look at your site, may have some that need to head your way!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 06:27 PM   #20
keithdog

Ok guys, I took the rod out yesterday to try it out AND it is definately not fixed. I thought my cleaning it had fixed the problem, but it is definately messed up. I think it's the pawl or worm gear or both. Gonna send it to Kevin. I sent you a message Kevin. The line guide gets to the far right and hangs up bunching up the line right there.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.