Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-11, 09:03 PM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I have a bit of a dilemma.

Well the time has come, AGAIN to buy a new rod and reel, and I have got it down to the quantum smoke. Except I am having trouble deciding on whether to get the 150 size or the 100 size, and I wan't a fast reel with "burner" gears, like the 150's gears, (the 150 holds 165 yards of 12lb test) and has 34" IPT, but the 100 size "burner" only has a 7.0:1 gear ratio which is only 28" IPT, which isn't too bad, but then it only holds 105 yards of 12lb test; and then the 100 size's 6.3:1 gear ratio brings in 26" IPT, which is on the slower side for what I am gonna be using for, but holds a pretty good amount of line, 135 yards of 12lb test. I am gonna be using this reel for topwaters, jerk baits, spinner baits, flippin&pitchin, and maybe lipless cranks, that is why I wan't the faster "burner" gears, but then on the other hand I wan't a little bit smaller and a little bit lighter reel

What would be your opinion, lighter or faster?
I will be getting a smoke rod most likely to go along with it, and wanted a 6'8" or a 6'10" MH with a fast tip, but quantums smoke rods only come in these 3 sizes (for what I will be using them for) there is a 6'6" MH rod with a fast tip which is almost perfect but just a little bit short, and the other one is a little bit longer at 6'9", it's a MH EXCEPT it has an extra fast tip. The last one is a 7" MH with a fast tip, but yet again, not quiet, might be a little long

So again would you rather have the extra length or have the fast taper over the extra fast one, for the techniques that I will be doing, which I mentioned above.

Do any of you guys have the smoke? Oh, and I am open to any of your guys's rod and reel recommendations and brands, but with one criteria, it has to be a light weight setup like the smoke

I know this is a long post and this only makes it longer but: I am probably being too paranoid and I am sure I will be happy with what ever I get, but I wan't to try to get as close to what I wan't as I can,

By the way I am 15, and I can't find the "So, how many young fellers do we have on the site" thread, thankyou guys so much for your opinion and your thoughts, and now that I have typed basically a whole book for you guys to read, and give me your 2 cent's, I have to stop now.

Last edited by BigBurlyBass; 07-28-11 at 09:09 PM.
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 09:51 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Long posts aren't a problem at all man. If people don't want to read a long post, they don't have to.

Now on to your dilemma. I think the 100 with 7.0:1 g.r. will work fine for what you want.

As for the rod, I'd go with the 7' MH F. I throw spinnerbaits and jerkbaits on a 7'3" MH F, flip and pitch on a 7' H F, 7'6" MH F, or 7'8" H F rod, lipless cranks on the aforementioned 7'3" MH F and a 7'6" MH "Fast" Glass CB rod, and topwaters on a number of rods from 6'6" to 7'6". I don't think the 7' rod will be too long at all, and I'd definitely rather have the F action.

I've never used the Smoke rod or reel, so I cannot comment on them other than which specs I think will work best for your situation.

BB
Old 07-28-11, 10:53 PM   #3
BigBurlyBass

Thank you very much bigbassin! what you've got to say about the rods was very interesting, and is helping me make my decision. Now, as for the reel though, I was thinking that until I saw the line capacity, it's not that much.
Old 07-30-11, 01:18 PM   #4
BigBurlyBass

anyone use the smoke on here?
Old 07-30-11, 02:43 PM   #5
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I believe Ryan (RRW4258) uses some of the Smoke reels, he would be a good person to talk with on how they perform. Might send him a PM or I am sure he will respond once he has a chance to see your question.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.