Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-10, 01:43 AM   #1
orcpr
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Have i lost my mind??

Im new to this whole bass fishing deal.I got really interested just a year or so ago and have got the fever bad.Anyway,i bought a boat,got some euipment and need a fishing fix.Heres the problem.I live in eastern Kentucky and dont know when i should go out.Its about 35 -40 degrees here now.When should i start?When is pre spawn?When will the spawn be ,whens post spawn?etc?any info wold be really great.Just a little confused.O yeah first post here.been reading for a while but just signed up.Thanks in advance!
Chris
orcpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 02:30 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, it depends on the water temp. At around 55 degrees the pre-spawn starts-the big girls start moving shallow. Around 65 degrees the spawn starts. It will vary from lake to lake and even in different parts of the lake. There is a lot more to it than that, but in a nutshell that is how it normally works.

the prespawn/spawn is when most of the big fish are caught every year.

No, you haven't lost your mind. You have become a bass fisherman.

Then again, in some cases that is the same thing

Last edited by Rebbasser; 02-15-10 at 02:36 AM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 02:45 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01

First off welcome to the boards. Reb is spot on with the spawn timing and all of his information. As for when do you start? Go fishing every chance you get and keep a very detailed journal with every thing that happens every time you go out. I will say this though, if you start going now while the water is really cold keep a few things in mind. First be safe because cold water is very unforgiving and if you fall in being uncomfortable is the least of your problems, and second don't get discouraged if you struggle to catch fish because this time of year bites can be really hard to come by. Man just get out there when you can and have fun, that's what it's all about anyways.
Old 02-15-10, 07:58 AM   #4
keithdog

Welcome aboard. Your doing just fine. You simply have bassitis which can only be cured by getting out on the water. The only thing I'd like to add to the above is to start out fishing the north/north east parts of the lake first in early spring. The warming southern winds will push warmer surface water to those portions of the lake, so the north shorelines should warm quicker than the other parts of the lake. A suspending jerk bait, jigs, chatterbaits, and spinnerbaits with double colorado blades all work well for me in early spring as they can be fished slowly as the bass are not going to chace a faster moving bait in that cold water. I usually have better luck fishing around darker bottomed bays with lots of wood cover such as laydowns and brush. The dark colored lake bottoms warm faster and wood helps hold warmth as well warming the water around it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 08:18 AM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome to the site, orc. Yes, you have definitely lost your mind, which means you found the right place.
Old 02-15-10, 09:32 AM   #6
nofearengineer

I'm not sure when the spawn will be on, but I heard if you take a stereo out there and play some Barry White really loud, you'll get them in the mood.
Old 02-15-10, 09:45 AM   #7
MallenManson

I prefer Marvin Gaye. Billboard prefers Olivia Newton John. I suppose she might work for crappie
Old 02-15-10, 09:56 AM   #8
bamabassman

Hahahaha, as you can see there are some real goofs here pal. I am one of them as well. In your area, the fishing should start around the 1st to middle of march. Unless you are brave enought to head out now in the cold temps. Me, not for another 4 weeks or so. If you decide to go out now, try to use some rattle traps or jerk baits. If you catch a bass, look at the tail. If it is red or some of it is missing, they are preparing to bed. Go through the threads here and you will get a better understanding of wht to do and what NOT to do. Check out the videos too.
OH YEAH, WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF NUTS AND BAIT MONKEY FODDER! Kick back, have fun and never be afraid to ask a question. Around here, there is no such thing as a stupid question. As long as it ain't who's number 1 in college football.hahahaha.
Old 02-15-10, 10:35 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the site. As for when to go out, don't plan your days around weather, or spawn, or whatever - go out whenever you can. If you've got a free day, go fishing. If you wait till when the fish are supposed to be biting, you'll definately miss out on lots of fish beforehand.

BB
Old 02-15-10, 10:41 AM   #10
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Welcome to the site. As for when to go out, don't plan your days around weather, or spawn, or whatever - go out whenever you can. If you've got a free day, go fishing. If you wait till when the fish are supposed to be biting, you'll definately miss out on lots of fish beforehand.

BB

That's a great point, BigB. It's great when they start biting, but every time up till then is practice and research!
Old 02-15-10, 10:56 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Welcome aboard ORC. I condone the messages posted through out this public service announcement. The only thing that should determine if you are fishing or not is a flat tire. And all that does is put you on the water a little later. Try some searches, if you don't find, ask. If you don't want to look through miles of searches, post it anyways, we love flapping our gums about fishing even if it is redundant.
Old 02-15-10, 11:20 AM   #12
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

No you havent lost your mind, your just letting bassfishermanitis setting in.

I live in SC so it may be a little later for you but i caught a good 3lber on valentines last year, and my big one on the bed march 22. basicaly once the water starts warming enough and the airs warm enough for you to get out, is when you should go. basic bedding temp is about 60 degrees so once you get a few day strech with it warm, jump on it.
Old 02-15-10, 12:30 PM   #13
orcpr
BassFishin.Com Member

You guys are great.Thanks for all the info and for making me feel welcome.
Chris
Old 02-15-10, 12:54 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't rethinking you can fish too early. In the south they fish all winter, and I'm normally fishing right after ice out.

BB
Old 02-15-10, 01:08 PM   #15
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome!!

I have been a weekend warrior fisherman for many years and only recently getting more into the actual bass side of fishing. I am a relaxer: for me if I get to go to toss a line in, I am happy, even if I catch nothing but grass. Catching any fish is just a bonus. Also I tend to have one or two lines for bream/bluegill and another as my bass setup.

For me, I have gone through all the various websites, videos, news articles and forums trying to get a sense of what works and what doesn't especially for certain areas. Fishing is very much a location specific event, what works on one place may not on another.

Example: out of all my local ponds and lakes, only one or two larger lakes (150+ acres) actually have shad in them, the rest have bass relying mostly on bluegill and bream for their main source of food. There is rarely any snakes, frogs or craws in these locations. So this means that the "shad" and chartreuse colored baits tend to only work in the places that have shad, the craw and creature baits almost never produce anything, so the baits used need more of a bluegill/panfish type of pattern and color for the larger fish. Also the bass at most of these lakes/ponds almost never come after anything on the surface unless a bream dashes away and up towards the surface when you may see a splash.

As for when to go fishing, just go. Weather only determines what bait you use and how you present it, not WHEN to go (unless you don't like cold weather in which case you can wait until it warms up, but then you may miss the spawn and big pigs). Kevin (the site owner here) has some of the best videos on the internet about various tactics which you can learn from and change/apply to your location or method of fishing. As a computer tech myself, I loved the "Geospatial advantage" video and have been looking over satellite imagery looking for good spots to hit on a few of my favorite ponds and lakes when I get a chance to go.

As usual, feel free to ask questions here, there is a LOT of information and plenty of friendly folks here and we will try to help out as much as possible.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 01:15 PM   #16
lilmule

Spawn where ky,ohio and W.va come together is typically in the ohio river the second week of may,earlier in the lakes like Grayson.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 03:23 PM   #17
orcpr
BassFishin.Com Member

im about 40 minutes from grayson.I live in louisa ky.Yatesville lake is about 3 miles from my house.Supposed to be one of the best Largemouth fisheries in Ky.Ive got Greenbo lake,Grayson,dewey,yatesville,paintsville lake and a couple others within an hour drive of me!
Lord i love it!
Old 02-15-10, 03:48 PM   #18
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcpr View Post
im about 40 minutes from grayson.I live in louisa ky.Yatesville lake is about 3 miles from my house.Supposed to be one of the best Largemouth fisheries in Ky.Ive got Greenbo lake,Grayson,dewey,yatesville,paintsville lake and a couple others within an hour drive of me!
Lord i love it!

Sounds like a little slice of bass heaven!
Old 02-15-10, 10:31 PM   #19
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just wanted to say welcome.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.