Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-09, 05:03 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default spinner baits and jigs

im new to bass fishing and have been using mostly plastic worms but have used spinners and jigs a few times and really like them. i hear alot of talk of people switching blades and skirts. i have read threads about when to use what for skirt colors and blade types but i was wondering how people get the extra blades? is there a blade kit to start with or do people just buy spinner baits and take two apart and switch them? same with skirts? seems like it would take forever to buy individual ones. and have enough for all situations.

thanks for the help. sorry if its an obvious question.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 05:31 PM   #2
Bassassinator

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

You know, i have read some of those questions in threads and i still don't understand it either...lol although, like yourself, i am kinda new to the sport lol...good times though man
Old 09-12-09, 06:10 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I normally never switch blades or skirts. I'd rather just switch spinnerbaits. You can buy or make your own skirts. blades you can take off of other spinnerbaits or buy them. you can get them in packs from lure making places (like www.jannsnetcraft.com) or I've bought them individually from ganter mtn.

BB
Old 09-12-09, 06:20 PM   #4
MO3N

ok thanks. i knew you had to be able to get them from somewhere i just couldnt seem to find it. ya ill start with just switching spinners but im sure sooner or later im sure ill want to customize them atleast a little.
Old 09-12-09, 07:44 PM   #5
keithdog

You can also buy them at BPS but I'm with Bigbassin as I would rather have a selection of spinnerbaits and simply change baits. It's more convenient.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 07:55 PM   #6
Bassboss

Clear water

As far as color, and blades sizes, I like chartreuse for most conditions, if the water is super clear I'll use a white skirt with some translucent skirt strands, silver blades are also better for clear water. It's nice to have flash strands for clear water too. ^^ There's a good example of one! A smaller 1/4 oz size is best.

Strained water

For colors in stained water with a visibility of 10 feet or less, I like chartreuse and white skirts, with no flash skirts strands, or translucent skirts strands. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the stained water, so a 3/8oz is what I use!

Chocolate, and murky water

When I fish murky, or Chocolate milk colored water, it's good to have spinnerbaits with florescent colors, such as red, yellow, chartreuse, and orange; the brighter the better! It really helps the bass see it a little better. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the muddy water -- even more so than in stained water, so a 1/2 oz is what I use!

So many blades so little time; The tree main blades

There are so many blades styles out now that it's hard to you which blade to use, for what conditions! As a general rule, the bigger the blade, the more flash, and vibration it emits.

Willow leaf blades!

Willow blades are the narrow blades, these ones give off much more flash than the bigger rounder, bulkier Colorado blade, and are much better for clear water, around thick grass. It's thinner blade design helps it glide through grass much more efficiently than any other blade I've used. The willow blades also give the bait a lager profile than a Colorado blade. Most of them time I use a number 4 - 4 1/2 size willow.

Colorado Blades!

The Colorado blade is a rounded, oval blade, it's short, yet wide. Because of these characteristics of a Colorado blade, it gives off much more vibration than a willow blade, but does not give nearly as much flash as one. The Colorado blade does not go through grass as well as a willow, it tends to get wrapped up better in the grass. Yet goes through wood and rock just fine! It's also a great blade waking! It displaces much, much more water than a willow, thus, giving off a bigger wake! Since it gives off less flash, and more vibration, it’s much more effective in murky water than willow blade.

Turtle shell/Indian blades

The Indian blade, aka the turtle shell blade, is like a willow blade, and a Colorado blade combined. However, I would say it's has the characteristics of a Colorado, more than it does a willow. It has a little more flash than a Colorado blade, and little less vibration than a Colorado blade. It works best in stained to murky water. Works well in thin grass, and goes through rock and wood fine.

Colored Blades and Blade colors

I never use different color blades, unless the water is really murky. Then I'll use a chartreuse, orange, or yellow. This way they fell the vibrations and see the colors. it just helps them hone in on it a little bit better.

I use gold blades in off colored water or when I'm trying to match blue gill. Otherwise, use silver blades, when matching shad, or in clear water.
Old 09-12-09, 08:24 PM   #7
MO3N

thanks bassboss..i saw that list in another thread and it cleared alot of stuff up for me. i better book mark it this time.

Do you buy spinner baits that fit those conditions or do you keep extra skirts and blades and switch them out when conditions change?
Old 09-13-09, 11:01 AM   #8
zooker

blades have lil mystry to me anymore..if you have made as many as i have..you basicly need two colors white and chartruses..i on occasion chunk a fire tiger -prespawn/spawn- when the bass are chasing brim..how ever 90% of the time i use white. chatruses single blades for your umm "muddy" water..

my favorite being a colorado over willow blade combo..silver/gold respectivly..
i almost never use a trailer hook but always use a grub body on the hook..

zooker
Old 09-13-09, 11:40 AM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
blades have lil mystry to me anymore..if you have made as many as i have..you basicly need two colors white and chartruses..i on occasion chunk a fire tiger -prespawn/spawn- when the bass are chasing brim..how ever 90% of the time i use white. chatruses single blades for your umm "muddy" water..

my favorite being a colorado over willow blade combo..silver/gold respectivly..
i almost never use a trailer hook but always use a grub body on the hook..

zooker
I love the trailer hook but it does pose problems when you land a pike
Old 09-13-09, 03:19 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
thanks bassboss..i saw that list in another thread and it cleared alot of stuff up for me. i better book mark it this time.

Do you buy spinner baits that fit those conditions or do you keep extra skirts and blades and switch them out when conditions change?

I like to just have a big box of spinnerbait, I keep around skirts and blades, but very rarely switch them out. Right now I've got on box with 30 somthing spinnerbaits, all for stained and murky water. A need to get an other 20 or 30 for clear though!
Old 09-13-09, 03:36 PM   #11
MO3N

ya i usually fish the snake river for smallies and its pretty clear or a lake full of cover and not sure if i want to try a spinnerbait as i fish of the shore and not sure if i can pull it through all the weeds.
Old 09-13-09, 04:09 PM   #12
zooker

oh yeah it will come thru weeds better than ya think...

zooker
Old 09-18-09, 09:00 PM   #13
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
ya i usually fish the snake river for smallies and its pretty clear or a lake full of cover and not sure if i want to try a spinnerbait as i fish of the shore and not sure if i can pull it through all the weeds.
If you feel like the spinner is dragging weeds just give the rod a snap like you would when setting the hook , most of the time it will clear the weeds of the spinner .

jim
Old 09-18-09, 11:37 PM   #14
nofearengineer

I basically keep 6 spinnerbaits in my box. One willow and one Colorado each of white, chartreuse, and black. I also have some extra blades, trailer hooks, etc. in there. I mostly use 1/2 oz. spinner bodies. I could see me buying some different sizes in the future, but I'd still use the same colors. If I do decide to try some more colors, I'll probably get into making my own at that point, mostly just for the fun and the personal satisfaction.
Old 09-19-09, 01:49 PM   #15
MO3N

guess ill need to pick up some more spinnerbaits and go try them out.

im about ready to make my first big purchase since the bait monkey has come around. im looking into getting a spinnerbait set up. willing to spend about 130 on each peice. maybe a little more on the reel if it comes with a free offer, like the Abu Garcia reels and the sunglasses. as i need to pick up a pair of glasses anyway.

thanks for all the help.
Old 04-05-10, 04:04 AM   #16
Garry2rs

I spent one summer catching 45 Musky on Bass size spinnerbaits. The only trouble I ever had was with a crankbait rod...The rod was too soft to set the hook reliably.
Many Pro's claim to like a crankbait rod, but if you have really big fish, or Musky, Stripper's or Pike etc. in your waters you might want to opt for a medium heavy rod.
I generally use a trailer hook, but it's your call...KVD says he always uses one, but what does he know?
I used to tie Musky Bucktail's professionally, so I feel qualified to talk about blades.
Colorado's move more water, send out more thump and ride higher in the water. This is good in low light, murky water, cold water and over weed and when you want to crank slower.
Willows are better when you want a fast retrieve.
Mepps/French blades are good when you want a middle depth at a slow retrieve IE in the Spring.
Metal finish blades are preferred on sunny days, while painted blades get the nod on overcast days, when there is no sunshine to make the metal blades flash.
KVD also says to jerk the spinnerbait occasionally during the retrieve so that it has an irregular action, like something in distress...I agree.
HAHAHA!
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.