Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-10, 01:45 PM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default muddy cheatin redemption

well i posted last week about my first tournament and about the cheating and me zeroing. i wasnt going back but my wifes cousin talked me into it. I fished with my brother in law last time and he fished with some lazy guy who falls asleep half time and the other half of the time the guy is yelling real loud or falling in the water. But wish me luck again.
Old 03-25-10, 04:20 PM   #2
screwballl

Get a copy of the rule book and make sure they check the livewells this time. If they don't then there are state and regional event officials that can pull this groups ability to host tournaments.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 04:46 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sleeping, yelling, falling in the water. Now that's funny. Good luck.
Old 03-25-10, 05:50 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Did the guy have a lifejacket on? Or did he just float around? Man..you need to find another club or tourny or something.
Old 03-25-10, 05:53 PM   #5
BassinNC

Good luck bud, go get em.
Old 03-25-10, 11:17 PM   #6
Vegasspider

Default Too Funny

Man other than the cheating and zeroing that's way funny.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Did the guy have a lifejacket on? Or did he just float around? Man..you need to find another club or tourny or something.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 06:03 AM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Sleeping, yelling, falling in the water. Now that's funny. Good luck.

Yep. Wonder what's in that guy's water bottle?
Old 03-26-10, 08:47 AM   #8
jasonfish320

jcw, I just read your previous post on the tournament and here are my thoughts:

1) How were these guys caught previously cheating and what were they doing?

2) It's just plain stupid if they aren't checking livewell prior to takeoff, I have never fished in a tourney that didn't check my livewell

3) Cheating does not happend very often, typically these guys know the spots they are fishing and have had luck there before.

By dark in color, are you referring to black bass, were they an entirely different breed or just dark. I wouldn't let it bother me much, especially if only a few guys weighed in. I once fished a tourney that we only caught 1 fish and the winner had 3...IT HAPPENS..don't read too much into it.

On a side note, last year two guys were caught in a large purse tournament cheating, they had gps marked the location of traps that had large bass in them, they were pulling up to the spots (which were only in 6' of water) and using a jig or something to hook the traps and then were reeling up the traps...not only were they black balled from attending any tourneys, but the organizers pressed charges against them..this was an event were 1st place took hom almost 8,000 bucks. They were caught by a summer resident who had watched them from his home put the traps in the water a week before the tournament and then video taped them reeling them up... the funny thing about the tourney was that the organizer waited til the end of the day to present the cheaters with the evidence with the sheriffs already waiting for them at the launch...it was great!
Old 03-26-10, 09:24 AM   #9
jcw1503

well we didnt zero but we didnt win. The winning bag was 15 pounds and they were all dark. However, we came in 7th out of 20 something boats but money on goes to top 5 and big fish. Anyways there was only 10 that weighed in and every body but he top 3 was light and pale. Anyways it was fun even though i am still suspicious. This by far the hardest lake i have ever fished. i know a few professionals from the flw that say that this lake even though it is small is one of the hardest lakes to fish if you have not fished it alot. There are people who have fished it a 100 times and zero out all the time. I have fished 4 times including yesterday. I will learn this lake. But its hard to get advice because most people who fish this lake want give out any help to anybody evern when they are not in a tourney. I guess i am just helpful becuase if i find something that works then i will help others out
Old 03-26-10, 05:07 PM   #10
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
jcw, I just read your previous post on the tournament and here are my thoughts:

1) How were these guys caught previously cheating and what were they doing?

2) It's just plain stupid if they aren't checking livewell prior to takeoff, I have never fished in a tourney that didn't check my livewell

3) Cheating does not happend very often, typically these guys know the spots they are fishing and have had luck there before.

By dark in color, are you referring to black bass, were they an entirely different breed or just dark. I wouldn't let it bother me much, especially if only a few guys weighed in. I once fished a tourney that we only caught 1 fish and the winner had 3...IT HAPPENS..don't read too much into it.

On a side note, last year two guys were caught in a large purse tournament cheating, they had gps marked the location of traps that had large bass in them, they were pulling up to the spots (which were only in 6' of water) and using a jig or something to hook the traps and then were reeling up the traps...not only were they black balled from attending any tourneys, but the organizers pressed charges against them..this was an event were 1st place took hom almost 8,000 bucks. They were caught by a summer resident who had watched them from his home put the traps in the water a week before the tournament and then video taped them reeling them up... the funny thing about the tourney was that the organizer waited til the end of the day to present the cheaters with the evidence with the sheriffs already waiting for them at the launch...it was great!

That's awesome!
Old 03-26-10, 06:58 PM   #11
fishin spro

Just because they were darker does not mean they were not from there. They could have been from a different part of the lake. If you watch at ANY weigh in, fish are going to vary in color. The fish will change with the water color, so if they found a spot with some water that was clearing up, that would explain the off color of the fish.
Old 03-26-10, 07:13 PM   #12
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
Just because they were darker does not mean they were not from there. They could have been from a different part of the lake. If you watch at ANY weigh in, fish are going to vary in color. The fish will change with the water color, so if they found a spot with some water that was clearing up, that would explain the off color of the fish.

True Dat, and some fish stay shallow no matter how cold the water is, plus fish caught in clearer water always tend to be darker. I run a Sunday Afternoon tournament over here on Lake Allatoona in North Georgia from November through March and I see that all the time, especially with largemouth (not so much in the spotted bass, but sometimes them too).
Fortunately we have a pretty low pay out, barely more than something to "sweeten the pot" and everybody pretty much knows each other. Out only reason for livewell checks is if someone new to the crowd comes in off the lake from another ramp, then we check them.
A couple of years ago there was a team that was dominating every event that they had on "Toona". Finally one of the local guides found some fish baskets tied under a couple of docs and notified the authorities because there were bass in them. The DNR went and marked all the fish and waited to see who brought them to the scales that next Saturday. They nailed those two and they haven't fished a tournament since. I won't give out thier names but they are still banned from tournaments. (plus they had to pay a hefty fine).
Old 03-27-10, 04:19 PM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
True Dat, and some fish stay shallow no matter how cold the water is, plus fish caught in clearer water always tend to be darker. I run a Sunday Afternoon tournament over here on Lake Allatoona in North Georgia from November through March and I see that all the time, especially with largemouth (not so much in the spotted bass, but sometimes them too).
Fortunately we have a pretty low pay out, barely more than something to "sweeten the pot" and everybody pretty much knows each other. Out only reason for livewell checks is if someone new to the crowd comes in off the lake from another ramp, then we check them.
A couple of years ago there was a team that was dominating every event that they had on "Toona". Finally one of the local guides found some fish baskets tied under a couple of docs and notified the authorities because there were bass in them. The DNR went and marked all the fish and waited to see who brought them to the scales that next Saturday. They nailed those two and they haven't fished a tournament since. I won't give out thier names but they are still banned from tournaments. (plus they had to pay a hefty fine).

That's odd. Around here, shallow and clear water leads to lighter colored bass.
Old 03-27-10, 07:09 PM   #14
screwballl

Clear water with little vegetation tends to produce dark fish... it is like human skin, the more sun it gets the darker our skin gets, BUT if the fish spends a LOT of its time under cover then it will end up a bit lighter that others that spend more time in the open water.
Old 03-27-10, 08:15 PM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Clear water with little vegetation tends to produce dark fish... it is like human skin, the more sun it gets the darker our skin gets, BUT if the fish spends a LOT of its time under cover then it will end up a bit lighter that others that spend more time in the open water.

Once again, not around here
Old 03-27-10, 08:50 PM   #16
Bob Smith

Well, I guess I don't know what to tell ye, Mallen. What I see holds true in Texas, and Georgia pretty much uniformly. Maybe it's the minerals in the water that keep the pigmentation lighter. Where do you live?
Old 03-27-10, 09:02 PM   #17
MallenManson

Quote:
Well, I guess I don't know what to tell ye, Mallen. What I see holds true in Texas, and Georgia pretty much uniformly. Maybe it's the minerals in the water that keep the pigmentation lighter. Where do you live?

Haha, you don't hafta tell me anything Bob, I take your word for it, not tryin to start a debate. For whatever reason it's different around here.
I'm in northern Michigan.
Here's a pic of a fish I caught in a lake with a maximum depth of 8' with no cover vegetation, other than lily pads in the summer months.
I'm thinkin a few people that should know it, just might have trouble figurin out what it is. I did, actually, until I really looked at it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smallie.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	4879  
Old 03-28-10, 12:58 AM   #18
screwballl

That is strange... no spots or stripes or normal coloring.... I wonder if the fact that they spend so much time under ice keeps them light year round? Or maybe a rock bass hybrid? Or a combination of the 2?
Old 03-28-10, 06:59 AM   #19
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
That is strange... no spots or stripes or normal coloring.... I wonder if the fact that they spend so much time under ice keeps them light year round? Or maybe a rock bass hybrid? Or a combination of the 2?

While the rock bass hybrid could be an explanation, I doubt it. All the bass in that lake are really light colored, even the largemouths.
A lot of the clear, shallow lakes up here produce really nice looking, light colored fish
Old 03-28-10, 09:43 AM   #20
bamabassman

With no cover to hide under, i think the fish are SUN BLEACHED.
Old 03-28-10, 11:49 AM   #21
Bob Smith

Wow, that fish is definitely lighter than any smallies I have ever seen! Almost weird!
Old 03-28-10, 01:00 PM   #22
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Haha, you don't hafta tell me anything Bob, I take your word for it, not tryin to start a debate. For whatever reason it's different around here.
I'm in northern Michigan.
Here's a pic of a fish I caught in a lake with a maximum depth of 8' with no cover vegetation, other than lily pads in the summer months.
I'm thinkin a few people that should know it, just might have trouble figurin out what it is. I did, actually, until I really looked at it
I've heard of red eyes on a fish but YELLOW EYES?!?!
Old 03-28-10, 07:44 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Wow, that fish is definitely lighter than any smallies I have ever seen! Almost weird!

Yep, when I pulled it out of the water, it took me a second to realize what it was. If it weren't for the face markings I woulda been calling the DNR.
I wonder if the difference in where you fish and where I fish, is just due to the difference in climate?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.