Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-10, 05:57 PM   #1
bassassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default best,low-mem. line????

I've been using suffix elite 12 lb and it has more memory than steven hawkins.(wich makes backlashing 10x easier) I need to find a new better line. wether it's flouro or mono I don't care.
Old 03-28-10, 06:42 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bassassasin, IMO, you can't get anything much better than Elite in terms of low memory.

I think you may have gotten an old spool or something, cause Elite is the smoothest, and lowest memory mono I've ever used.

But if you want to try something different, I'd recommend Seaguar InvisX Fluorocarbon.

BB
Old 03-28-10, 06:45 PM   #3
WTL

Braid, actually, if you hate memory that bad.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 06:50 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I will have to agree with both the above statements. Sufix Elite is about as good as it gets as far as memory and braid has no memory to speak of. One other line that I have found to have little memory is Silverthread AN40, it is a copolymer but really stretchy like mono. Might be worth a shot if you don't want to go with braid. Try a line conditioner like KVD line and lure too.

Last edited by Jrob78; 03-28-10 at 07:05 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 07:03 PM   #5
islandbass

Well, I'm with the others on Sufix. Of all the monos I have tried, no mono has ever resisted acquiring memory as well as Sufix, Elite or Siege.

If this is the only mono you have tried to date, you'll be in for a shock at how much worse the other monos will fare with respect to acquiring memory.

If it really is an issue for you (in that memory is unsightly and ugly to look at, but does not affect fish fighting performance of the line), then braid is your only solution, since it has practically no memory. You can count fc and co-polymer lines out. Memory up the ying yang.
Old 03-28-10, 07:05 PM   #6
Bassboss

Vicouse ultimate copollymer is VERY, VERY limp line! I've got the 17lb test, and it's virtually memory free!! I'm sure in 12lb is would be even better!

Check it out!
Old 03-28-10, 10:05 PM   #7
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea i agree with everyone else on the suffix. It's easily the best in terms of low memory in my opinon. I'd vote maybe just try it again, like BB said it could have just been an old spool.
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 10:11 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Try a line conditioner like KVD line and lure too.
Sitting here wondering why I didn't think of that earlier when I posted, lol. I'd definitely give KVD line and lure a try as well. I put it on all my mono and fluorocarbon lines after I spool them up, and then about once a week or after each fishing trip (which every comes first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
If it really is an issue for you (in that memory is unsightly and ugly to look at, but does not affect fish fighting performance of the line), then braid is your only solution, since it has practically no memory. You can count fc and co-polymer lines out. Memory up the ying yang.
Braid would solve your problem, but create other depending on what you're using it for.

IB, I wouldn't necessarily count fluorocarbons and copolymer lines out. While most are going to give you worse memory than mono (especially Sufix Elite), there are the few that perform great. For a fluorocarbon, I've had nearly no memory on my Seaguar InvisX, even after sitting on my reel all winter, it wasn't that bad. The same goes for P-line Floroclear copoly.

BB
Old 03-28-10, 11:42 PM   #9
bassboogieman

No memory with braid. Other than that solution, I like Yo-Zuri Hybrid ULTRASOFT copolymer line. Honestly though I'm not using it much anymore as I've gone to braid for virtually everything that I previously used the Ultrasoft, other than crankbait and spinnerbaits for which I still like the regular Hybrid.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 11:50 PM   #10
Rebbasser

P-Line Floroclear. Best line I have used. Ever.
Old 03-29-10, 01:35 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Bassassasin, IMO, you can't get anything much better than Elite in terms of low memory.

I think you may have gotten an old spool or something, cause Elite is the smoothest, and lowest memory mono I've ever used.

But if you want to try something different, I'd recommend Seaguar InvisX Fluorocarbon.

BB
I agree 100%. It about had to be a bad or old spool because Suffix lines are great in terms of low memory.
Old 03-29-10, 08:16 AM   #12
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have to agree with all the sufix guys here.
I like braid also butt the more I use it the more I'm starting to not like it as good. I'm down to using braid for flipping and pitching.
Old 03-29-10, 02:08 PM   #13
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

been using 12 fluro from Seagaur i have it on my KVD tour as well and my Enegry Pt spinning reel been really impressed with it. However i think that stren flurocarbon is the worst line to put on a baitcaster.
Old 03-29-10, 03:31 PM   #14
Cavs1123

I'd try Berkley Trilene Big Game.
Old 03-29-10, 05:05 PM   #15
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you. If Sufix Elite isn't working, Big Game definitely won't work.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 06:04 PM   #16
bassassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Well, I'm with the others on Sufix. Of all the monos I have tried, no mono has ever resisted acquiring memory as well as Sufix, Elite or Siege.

If this is the only mono you have tried to date, you'll be in for a shock at how much worse the other monos will fare with respect to acquiring memory.

my problem is that i'm new to baitcasters and when I backlash the memory(and wind) makes it impossible to get backlashes out.
I turn the drag down then pull line out and it almost always comes out
Old 03-29-10, 06:06 PM   #17
bassassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

tried the suffix again. it's alot better now that I re-spooled
Old 03-30-10, 12:54 AM   #18
carolina-rig-01

If you are new to baitcasters and are looking for a lower memory line I can pretty much promise you that flourocarbon isn't the answer to your problem. Flourocarbon is great stuff but it will have more memory than most mono lines. If you do go the flourocarbon route I would look no further than Seaguar Invizx or Seaguar Abrasx. I have recently switched to Abrasx from Invisx and didn't see any difference as far as memory or stiffness is concerned but it is a heck of a lot more abrasion resistant.
Old 03-30-10, 11:31 AM   #19
BigBassin144

bassassasin, give this a read to cut down on backlashes when learning.

http://basschat.yuku.com/topic/8

BB
Old 03-31-10, 01:54 PM   #20
Naevulle
BassFishin.Com Member

I have started using PLine Evolution 10lb and so far I love it. It has very high strength and I have very little memory issues.
Naevulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 02:55 PM   #21
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Sitting here wondering why I didn't think of that earlier when I posted, lol. I'd definitely give KVD line and lure a try as well. I put it on all my mono and fluorocarbon lines after I spool them up, and then about once a week or after each fishing trip (which every comes first).

Braid would solve your problem, but create other depending on what you're using it for.

IB, I wouldn't necessarily count fluorocarbons and copolymer lines out. While most are going to give you worse memory than mono (especially Sufix Elite), there are the few that perform great. For a fluorocarbon, I've had nearly no memory on my Seaguar InvisX, even after sitting on my reel all winter, it wasn't that bad. The same goes for P-line Floroclear copoly.

BB
BB, I love my FC lines and use co-polymer, as memory doesn't bother me. However, there are folks out there that absolutely despise memory and will have nothing to do with it it despite the benefits any said line might have. I can see how my initial post could have given that impression, but I was writing it for the poster's benefit in that memory was a serious issue he didn't want to deal with. Since it was, I was letting him know that based on his beef with memory, he would not like these line types.
Old 03-31-10, 03:06 PM   #22
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassasin View Post
my problem is that i'm new to baitcasters and when I backlash the memory(and wind) makes it impossible to get backlashes out.
I turn the drag down then pull line out and it almost always comes out
Memory should not be an issue in untangling any line from a bird's nest. The "memory" you are seeing is probably all of the loops in the line caused be the bird's nest.

You will need to train your thumb to stop the spool dead cold if ever you suspect you messed up your cast or if your lure is about to hit something well before it hits the water. As for wind, some reels handle it better than others and heavier lures and more aerodynamic lures will tend to fare better when cast into the wind.

As you gain experience using a bait cast reel, this issue will diminish to a more manageable level. For the time being, because you are learning, to save you the cost of lines, I would suggest using sufix siege or whatever mono. Using FC line or braid is going to get costly really quickly as you progress on your learning curve and I am speaking from experience.

When I got my first LP reel (curado BSF), I spooled it with 30# braid that I bought and was about to try for the first time. Not knowing jack, I made my first cast with this reel with all of the brakes off, because once again, I didn't know jack. Well, let's say that was the fastest $15 I ever spent. I ruined the entire spool of braid with that first cast.

Mono is far more economical for learning.
Old 03-31-10, 05:52 PM   #23
Tavery5

Default sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one, Big Game certainly has its strenghts but low mem is def. not one of them.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 08:44 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Quote:
Memory should not be an issue in untangling any line from a bird's nest. The "memory" you are seeing is probably all of the loops in the line caused be the bird's nest.

You will need to train your thumb to stop the spool dead cold if ever you suspect you messed up your cast or if your lure is about to hit something well before it hits the water. As for wind, some reels handle it better than others and heavier lures and more aerodynamic lures will tend to fare better when cast into the wind.

As you gain experience using a bait cast reel, this issue will diminish to a more manageable level. For the time being, because you are learning, to save you the cost of lines, I would suggest using sufix siege or whatever mono. Using FC line or braid is going to get costly really quickly as you progress on your learning curve and I am speaking from experience.

When I got my first LP reel (curado BSF), I spooled it with 30# braid that I bought and was about to try for the first time. Not knowing jack, I made my first cast with this reel with all of the brakes off, because once again, I didn't know jack. Well, let's say that was the fastest $15 I ever spent. I ruined the entire spool of braid with that first cast.

Mono is far more economical for learning.
All very good points IB.

Like you said, training your thumb to stop the spool at a moment's notice comes it reel handy sometimes. Just tonight, I was tossing a crank in my pond. I don't know why, but out of nowhere, I decided to throw the crank sidearm... Well, you need to make a big adjustment in your casting when throwing sidearm with a Medium power, Moderate action crankbait rod. First cast like this, the crank smokes the water coming right out of the cast. Wasn't 2' from the end of my rod. Luckily for me, I stopped the spool fairly quick, and it was an easy lash to get out, just had too pull the line out, no knots to get out and I didn't even have to use the thumb trick.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.