Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-10, 01:46 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Post cold front & spawn fishing

I am planning on making a trip tomorrow to a lake down the road from the house. We had a front come through last night and about a 20-30° temp change. I am probably going to be looking at post spawn fish too. We might find a couple on the beds, but that is probably going to be it. I was thinking of searching the water with an 8-12' crank and a spinnerbait on the edges of the flats. What do y'all recommend?

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 04-08-10 at 02:06 PM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 02:02 PM   #2
mbfishingking
BassFishin.Com Member

hey bubba, use a centipede. hahaha just kidding. crankbait tiger red or
white spinner. good luck
mbfishingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 04:14 PM   #3
Cavs1123

I would try a jig.
Old 04-08-10, 04:57 PM   #4
bassinbob

What kind of jig Cavs?
Old 04-08-10, 06:29 PM   #5
Cavs1123

Um I would go with a finesse jig. I personally like the Stacey King Finesse Jig in black/blue. Heres the link: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
Old 04-08-10, 06:53 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Now, this is not really my area of Vast Knowledge, but I'll give my 2 cents anyways!

The FIRST thing I would do, is try to get their before the sun rises, and get to your spot as the sun is coming up! Try throwing some top waters like poppers (a little slower than than walking bait, they would probably like the slower popper better after the temp drop!) in shallow water.

after the sun comes up, the fish are probably gonna move deeper and suspend in deeper water. I'd try idling deeper water close to known spawning flats (edges of spawning flats like you mentioned). Idle around to you find some fish or bait, and start throwing suspending jerkbait or crankbait (not hitting the bottom, but going through the areas where they're suspending). Maybe try a jig is they're not hitting the jerk bait. Use a light jig with a bulky trailer and skirt, let it fall slowly and watch your line. When It hits bottom, lift your rod up slowly, so the jig gets a few feet off the bottom, and let it fall back down! Use a longer rod for this is you've got one, and thick fluoro (15lb?) so it falls a little faster (not mono, even though it floats and would fall slower, it's not very sensitive, unless it's something like cxx of coarse). Remember - you're fishing the fall not the bottom. Watch you're line for ANY ticks or abnormal actions, movements, or funny feeling!

And of coarse look for some spawning fish.. maybe before you and try to find deeper fish.

Well, curado, that's what I got, try it and maybe it'll catch a few fish for ya! Hope you catch some gudduns man!

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-08-10 at 07:13 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 11:50 PM   #7
Jrob78

I actually read a article in this months Bassin that said to fish the areas around the spawning areas that are a few feet deeper than the spawning flats. Look for isolated pieces of cover that are again, close to the spawning areas but a few feet deeper. Weightless soft plastics and jerkbaits were recommended.

*Edit* This was post spawn advice, throw a cold front in the mix and all bets are off. Fish might move a little deeper.

Last edited by Jrob78; 04-08-10 at 11:56 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 11:56 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

I thought about dead sticking a senko or fluke. I will probably go with the senko though, because I don't know if I have the patience to wait on a fluke, plus I only have about 8 hours to fish. I have thought about putting a 1/16 oz splitshot on the hook, that might help a little.
Old 04-08-10, 11:58 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I thought about dead sticking a senko or fluke. I will probably go with the senko though, because I don't know if I have the patience to wait on a fluke, plus I only have about 8 hours to fish. I have thought about putting a 1/16 oz splitshot on the hook, that might help a little.
Or put a split shot a foot or so up the line, that way the fluke still sinks faster but the action isn't effected as much.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 10:50 PM   #10
bamabassman

Bubba, bac off the spawning areas to around 10 depth. Fish a little slower baits, worms, lizzards, craws, etc. Or you can slow roll a spinnerbait or flukes, or lipless cranks if they are active. At least that is what I would try. So maybe that is the wrong advice, hahaha.
Old 04-09-10, 11:13 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

We fished from about 9-2 today and ended up with 6 between 12-15". We had several hits, but it was usually fish to small to get the hook past their mouth. It was a slow day, but at least we eluded the worst monkey of all, the notorious skunk monkey. We caught them on junebug lizards and magnum trick worms. I couldn't beg a fish on a crank or hard jerk bait. But I did catch the last one with minutes to spare on my go to Bass Assassin (baby bass) soft jerk.
Old 04-10-10, 01:06 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Looks like I'm a day or two late, but here it goes anyways. For some reason, Bomber Fat Free Shads make great cold front baits. Must have a unique action that seems to get them going. that and during the early spring when the water's cold. I'd try a white one, or a firetiger one.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.