Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-06, 11:57 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default bass fishing magazines?

well, on other forums people are getting annoyed by a few of my questions. ive been trying to research a bit on bassresource, and other sites. but i cant really find everything. and i dont really want to have to pay much for a magazine. so are there any free or low cost magazines that give good info out tere that youd reccomend?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 12:34 PM   #2
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

First go to user CP at the top of the page and complete your profile, at least with where you're from. Midwest Outdoors is a cheap, quality publication made of newspaper. I don't know if you are in their distribution area. Books at libraries and used book stores can be excellent, although you're not gonna' get new information from them. In-fisherman is by far the best fishing mag available. Bassin' is decent. Stay away from Fishing Facts, they have the worst editorial staff in the world and contradict themselves issue to issue. If you join B.A.S.S., FLW, or NAFC they offer lots of benefits plus their quality publications with your membership.
Old 01-22-06, 12:57 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bassmaster is the best magazine for bass fishing IMO. Joining BASS will run you around $20 a year(I think) and most of that goes to the magazine. If you are looking for other species as well I'd go with In-Fisherman. I think you are doing the smartest thing, though-spending time on these boards and reading articles on the net-the info is more current, and if you ask intelligent questions you will get good info.
Old 01-22-06, 01:03 PM   #4
crankybait

im only for bass. 20 dollars a year? how many issues would i get? and thanks, im trying to learn as much as i can before spring comes, then im putting everythign ive learned to the test. got skunked yesterday, but thats ok, it was too cold for the fish anyways.
Old 01-22-06, 01:17 PM   #5
va_basser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

you're more than likely able to find more on the web than in a magazine,just because there's more resources online.Bassmaster is ok,but if youve been a member longer than the last 3 years,you'll find them writing about the same things over and over.Bassin' is alright,the NAFC mag is like Bassmaster,full of advertisements.I'd stick with the online resources and use the money to buy tackle!
http://www.bassresource.com/
http://www.bassdozer.com/articles.shtml http://www.bassdigest.com/arts.htm http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...Y_14_0_FISHING
Old 01-22-06, 01:19 PM   #6
crankybait

yeah i suppose yur right... ill have to research deeper, then. and a quick question- whats the strongest fighting freshwater fish you know of?
Old 01-22-06, 01:32 PM   #7
PowerBass

bassin magazine
Old 01-22-06, 02:58 PM   #8
WTL

Strongest fighting? Smallmouth.

I agree with va basser, save your money, buy some lake maps or something that will actually give you useful info.
Old 01-22-06, 03:08 PM   #9
PowerBass

Defintely smallmouth are more fighting
Old 01-22-06, 03:21 PM   #10
Fishing4Soup

smallmouth...and then steelhead in a stream on a fly rod.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-06, 03:22 PM   #11
PowerBass

Smallies on the fly, on a 5wt, I hear are supposed to be a good fight
Old 01-22-06, 03:32 PM   #12
va_basser

that can be a tough one.Lots of variables.I've heard smallmouth put up a good fight.Stripers,too can put up a good fight.But I have this micro lite rod and reel rigged with 4 lb test and use it for pan fishing.With that setup even bluegill fight like a marlin!
Old 01-22-06, 03:34 PM   #13
WTL

Who was the best runningback ever to play football? If you think it was Barry Sanders, well - thats a smallmouth. If you think it was Walter Payton, well thats a striper. Different styles.
Old 01-22-06, 03:44 PM   #14
va_basser

one more thing I meant to say is that maybe instead of learning about bass fishing techniques,lures and whatnot,maybe you should concentrate on learning about the bass itself.What are it's habits,preferred habitats,things like that.Like every good deer hunter learns and knows their prey,we should do the same as bass anglers.Knowing what you're up against is half the fight.From there we try to develop a pattern(one of MY weaknesses) and maybe we outwit the fish.But more often than not the bass wins.I saw the Bigmouth video,and it definitely shed light on a few things.I'm gonna orderthe series(or ask momma to get them for my birthday)good luck in your quest for knowledge.
Old 01-22-06, 04:21 PM   #15
basstech

In-fisherman pulishes a series of books. I would highly recomend getting the one on largemouth bass if it is anything like the one about smallmouth it alone is worth 10yrs. of BassMasters and probably more.
I haven't had much opprotunity to fish for smallies so for my money the strongest freshwater fight is with Earl Campbell. I mean carp. I have caught a 20+ lb striper too on lanier and it was about the same as a 20lb carp. I guess part of the fight depends on the equipment you're using as well though.
Old 01-22-06, 05:57 PM   #16
crankybait

ok. and the strongest fighting fish was to find something to do with my ugly stick, because i cant feel a thing with it... its medium action. but anyways im getting an emerald rod. so should i go stripers or smallies with my ugly stick? and yeah, thats a good idea. ill research the bass, and not the lures. going to the library tomorrow and borrowing the whole fishing section
Old 01-22-06, 06:28 PM   #17
PowerBass

Jeez cranky, you rugly stick will be fine for bassin! If you dont think you can feel a Largemouth bit on it, you wont feel a smallmouth. I would use your Ugly Stik for both species, but not for stripers, to light, you want a heavy for stripers
Old 01-22-06, 06:45 PM   #18
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

IMO,an ugly stick is a good rod...but NOT for bass fishing(except maybe crankbaits)......
Old 01-22-06, 06:58 PM   #19
va_basser

yeah,ugly's aren't known for their sensitivity.Damn strong rod tho..Great for catfishing and saltwater
Old 01-22-06, 09:46 PM   #20
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I completely agree with va basser (especially in post #14).

Become one with the bass, Daniel-san.
Old 01-22-06, 09:48 PM   #21
crankybait

well yeah, i know the sensitivity is horrible... barely felt my 3 pound carp hit, but it was topwater anyways... and so anyways, id likle to either sell or use this ugly stik. any ideas?
Old 01-24-06, 01:00 PM   #22
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Well, cranky, howardbware loves them, I hate them. PM him, with a good deal, he may go for it. If not, then start a thread in classifieds.
Old 01-24-06, 07:12 PM   #23
crankybait

howardbware? alright then, ill check it out
Old 01-25-06, 04:05 AM   #24
islandbass

cranky,

there is nothing wrong with your ugly stick. Learn all the tactics you can and when you're fishing, focus hard.

I was using an ugly stick while I was on vacation a couple years ago fishing a weightless senko. I felt the thump of the bass taking it down and knew it was a small bass. This bass was no bigger than the senko! I also felt the hits on a Rapala DT6 and a Rapala husky jerk in the same day and those bass were also about the same size. So I conclude they are sufficiently sensitive.

One thing you can do is switch to braid in 10 or 15# test. Its near zero stretch characteristic will amplify and transmit the vibrations much better than mono. I can just about guarantee that your ugly stick will feel much more sensitive.

You don't need a G Loomis rod to make you a better angler. I subscribe to the philosphy it is more the angler than the tools that makes for a better fisherman. Let me put it this way. If I fished against KVD and used his gear and he were equipped with my daughter's barbie rod and a floating minnow, he'd probably still kick my phanny and outfish me. Or, if I raced against Lance Armstrong, he'd still smoke me if he rode a Huffy and pedalled with only one leg.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-06, 04:08 PM   #25
crankybait

island bass. i know nothing is wrong with my ugly stik. but i have an avocet, which is a better rod. and when i sell this im buying an emerald, even betetr rod. the ugly stik isnt much use to me anyways, id just keep using my avocet and let the ugly stik collect dust

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.