Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-09, 01:26 AM   #26
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One last thing to consider is getting a used combo if you can find one. Might get a higher quality rig for the same price.
I would spend more on the reel than the rod though. My first baitcaster was a $30 Quantum and I hated it, was always backlashing, and swore off them for nearly a year. Got about a dozen of them now and I found that old Quantum recently and took a look at it, what a piece of junk! It was missing a bushing under the cast control spool and I never would have been able to cast well with it no matter what. Just my experience on the subject.
For something like that the Daiwa Excellor is a good reel IMO, $60-70. You can now get them in high speed too, 7:1 or so with a red logo. There are other good ones too I'm sure, but I have one of those and like it, especially the swept handle.
For a general rod I'd suggest a 6'6" or 7' Medium Heavy. The big differences from a cheap one to a high dollar one are the guides, reel seat, and mainly how much it weighs. I would take a heavier rod with a comfortable reel seat/handle over a lighter one that feels bad. The BPS rods have the "Power Hump" handle, some like it some don't. For that reason you need to feel them in your hand to see if you like them. I also like handles that expose the blank under the reel seat.
If you are out and about in your area check out:
www.alnbobs.com
(I was there last summer and they didn't have too much in stock, but good stuff)
www.dandrsports.com
(I was there today, lots of rods)
or Bass Pro down in Portage, IN.
Those are just a few in your area that I have been to, I'm sure there are plenty more. Or if you want come over to the Ultimate Fishing Show in Novi this week/weekend. There will be plenty of rods there and stop by our booth too. Good luck!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:49 AM   #27
Nitro 640
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bender,
I plan on going the the Ultimate Fishing Show when it's in Grand Rapids.
Great info, seems like I need to just get hands on and see what feels right to me.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 02:16 AM   #28
The Doc

I have a Quantum Tournament Grade combo I'll give to you no charge. (Well, except for the shipping, you gotta pay that.) I'm in North Carolina so I'll find out what shipping is to get it to you and let you know if you are interested. It just sits in the closet and someone should use it. I am a Revo guy so I'll never use it.
Old 01-04-09, 01:56 PM   #29
jig fisherman

the nicer a reel you get the better off you will be,I got my first baitcaster last year,it was a cabelas tounament zxhs and a fish eagle two rod and have loved it so far
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 02:22 PM   #30
quenston

I am also a newbie at bass fishing and started out with the older model baitcasters and could not cast them very well and then I got a buddys rod that had a Pflueger Supreme and wow I could not beleive the difference with the cast control etc.. so IMO I would deffinatly go with the new models with the mag brake control etc...
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 02:40 AM   #31
Nitro 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I have a Quantum Tournament Grade combo I'll give to you no charge. (Well, except for the shipping, you gotta pay that.) I'm in North Carolina so I'll find out what shipping is to get it to you and let you know if you are interested. It just sits in the closet and someone should use it. I am a Revo guy so I'll never use it.
Is it left handed? Just went to the store and messed with some cheap ones and think I need lefty since that how I reel my spinning.
Old 01-10-09, 02:43 AM   #32
Nitro 640

Went to Dick's and found a lefty Abu Garica reel and pole for $49.00. Its a silver max reel with a berkley 6'6" MH pole one pice. Says its was org. $120.00 and has another $20 rebate on it.
Is this a good deal? Or is this reel junk?
I tried to test the drag but it just seem to spin when I put presure on it? Use to spinning making noise? Also it had two side knobs, one with numbers up to 10 and another that had nothing. What is are those?
Sorry about the questions but Im just new to all this.
Thanks
Old 01-10-09, 12:57 PM   #33
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Let give it a try to help you out, best I can. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there is no such thing as a dumb question when your trying to learn. I am not good at explaining things very well while typing.Please feel free to ask questions if you do not understand something or might not understand what exactly I am trying to explain and I will try to get you some answers and get you off and running in the right direction.

The silver star knob adjusts your drag tension.The star drag should be backed off after you are done fishing and applied when your going to fish with the reel.If you leave the drag tension tight,in time it is possible that it could compress the drag washers and the drag system will not work properly.

The knob on the handle side is the spool tension knob. It does as the name implies.It puts tension on the spool shaft to help control the speed of the spool when casting.

The numbered dial knob is the Magtrax brake system. It allows to to adjust the magnetic brake system by turning the dial to different settings from 0-10.

To get started, choose the lure selection and tie it up.If your just praticing tie a practice plug or bell type sinker on.

Make sure the drag tension is set. Adjust your spool tension knob (handle side knob) until its snug but not real tight.Adjust your numbered dial to 7 to start with.

Hold the rod at 10 o clock position and engage the thumbar. The lure or practice plug should remain where its at or slowly fall to the ground.If it falls faster than a slow crawling fall, adjust the spool tension knob tighter until you get the desired setting, then your ready to begin.

Cast the lure or practice plug.It should have casted without a birdsnest. If it did birdsnest ,you need to know at what point of the ast it started the birdsnest so you can make the proper adjustments that I will be posting to follow.

If the birds nest started at the beginning of the cast.What happened is the spool was turning faster than the lures speed was traveling while taking line off from the spool.The result is the line unravels on the spool into a birdsnest like mess.

To correct this,you have to adjust numbered dial to apply more magnetic brake setting.More braking power controls the spool speed to match the speed that the lure is travelling on the cast.

If you apply to much braking power.It will shorten the casting distances.You need to adjust the brake system to its lightest possible setting without birdsnesting the line.

If the birdnest starts towards the end of the cast. What happened was the lure has reached the end of its air time on the cast. Once the lure lands whether it be on land or water, the lures motion has stopped but the speed of the spool is still travelling at the speed during the cast, unravelling line on the spool in a birdsnest.

To correct this, you have to adjust the spool tension knob( knob on the handle side)This will put more tension on the spool shaft slowing the speed of the spool.

If you apply to much spool tension,the casting distance is shortened. You need to adjust the spools tension as light as possible without birdsnesting once the lure has reached its destination.

In time, you will forget that had any troubles as you will have learned to adjust the reel accordingly to the lures weight and fishing conditions.

One thing you should remember is that a casting reel will not be as efficient when casting ultralight lures as you might be used to when fishing spinning gear.

Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 01:19 PM   #34
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thisa is exactly why i have 1 open face reel.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 01:58 PM   #35
Nitro 640

Does anyone know if that reel is any good? Abu Garica silver max I beleave it was.
6 ball bearings.
Old 01-10-09, 03:11 PM   #36
ky southern

yep,the silvermax is a pretty good reel.it will do u just fine startin out.i want to point out there is a fine line in fishing tackle where u want to stay on.u dont need a 500 dollar rod and reel or 17 dollar luckycraft cranks to catch fish,but dont buy junk either or stuff your not gonna be happy with a little later then buy the better stuff when it would have been cheaper to buy the better stuuf to start with.

take for instance,in the bass pro catalog you have about 3 choices for the fish measuring board-ruler.the prices range from 13 to 40 dollars on them and they pretty much are the same thing.just trying to show u about that line that most of us are trying to stay in.i do have friends that have 500 dollar g loomis rods and revo skeet reese reels and that is all good but not really needed equipment for the average bass fishermen.
Old 01-10-09, 03:30 PM   #37
bamabassman

nitro i have a silver max. no problems at ALL. also have 2 pro max's. also very good for the money. and i have 1 pinnacle inertia finesse reel. ALL from wally world. very good reels in my opion.
my reel to rod match ups.
pinacle on a cherrywood a 6' med hvy (gonna go up and change this rod later)
silvermax set on a ABU oturnament grade 7' med
promax set up on a 6' medium hvy lighting rod (gonna change this rod out as well)
promax reel set up on a 6'6" cherrywood med action casting rod
the reason i am changing out the 2 rods is cause they are 1) too short, and 2 wrong action, maybe a medium with afast tip rod for one and the other just a medium action in 7'6".

mind you now, all this came from wally world. now the rods are kinda hard to come sometimes, but the one i shop said they would order the rod (that they carry) in the length and action i want. takes 2 weeks to arrive.
but in the meantime, i go to yard sales and flea markets and look for reels and rods that i might want. never know what you'll find there.
there is a flea market here (collinsville TRADE DAY) THAT HAS A FELLA WHO DEALS IN NUTHIN but fishing stuff. he has the revos, carrot sticks and most ALL tackle you can find. just that i don't have the money to buy that expensive stuff. so i haven't been in a month or so. bait monkey THRIVES there, lol. i'll go and check out the prices one day when it is not so cold and rainy.
Old 01-10-09, 03:43 PM   #38
Nitro 640

Well I think I'm going to go back and get the Silver max. Reel and rod for only $30 after rebate sounds good. I can always get a new pole later if I don't like it and give that one to my kids. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01-10-09, 04:01 PM   #39
BassinBandit

Im would tell you from personal experience that you should not go cheap on the reel, I learned that the hard way. I bought a cheap one at first and go so frustrated that I stopped using it and gave it up for a year or so. Then I bought a good one and learned to set it up and never looked back. I use almost exclusivly use Qauntum equipment myself
Old 01-21-09, 12:55 AM   #40
Nitro 640

Well Iam looking at this setup or reel now. Anyone ever use this reel or setup?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ems#itemDetail
Old 01-21-09, 06:04 PM   #41
ky southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro 640 View Post
Well Iam looking at this setup or reel now. Anyone ever use this reel or setup?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ems#itemDetail

i have 8 of em and im very pleased.you will not be disappointed with the reel or the rod.imo,it is as good as it gets for the money.
Old 01-21-09, 06:17 PM   #42
Nitro 640

ok, great. I think this combo will work for me.
Another question is how many of you have a spinning reel where you reel with your left?
Now on your bait caster which hand do you reel with? I just dont know if I should go with the left handed one or not. Im use to the left to reel but other guys tell me they use the left for spinning but right hand for the bait caster? What do you guys do?
Old 01-21-09, 06:22 PM   #43
ky southern

left for spinning reel but right for baitcaster.it is just natural for me and i think either way will work,just pick one to start out and thats what u will always use.
Old 01-21-09, 08:18 PM   #44
abu4600

I reel a baitcaster right handed and reel a spinning reel left handed. Thats the way i was taught as a kid and never changed.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 08:22 PM   #45
Nitro 640

ok when you cast and thumb what hand do you use?
Old 01-21-09, 08:28 PM   #46
bamabassman

i use my left to cast and right to reel. left handed here.
Old 01-21-09, 08:47 PM   #47
abu4600

I cast right handed with spinning and baitcasting.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 08:49 PM   #48
ky southern

right hand on rod and right thumb on reel.my thumb is bout always on the spool.
Old 01-21-09, 09:55 PM   #49
Fishing Fanatic

The BPS Extremes are hard to beat for the money. The Macon store has a refurbished area. The Extremes usually go for $50 but I found one once for $25. I already had three others. I love em and hardly ever use a spinning reel.
Fishing Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 11:20 PM   #50
Nitro 640

ok I got bit by the bait monkey.
Here what I got
Bass Pro Shops® Pro Qualifier® 2007 Low-Profile Baitcast Reel - PQX10H $49.99 on sale
Bass Pro Shops® Power Plus™ Trophy Class Trigger Rod - 6' 6" MH $24.99
and for me to match my little guys hat Bass Pro Shops® Fitted Cap - Blue .

Not to bad of a price to get my first bait caster. Will upgrade my pole later when I get into bait casting more.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.