Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-10, 03:04 AM   #1
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Whats does it take to go Pro?

I have some really big things going on in my life will let me live the dream. I am seriously considering a full two years as a non-boater (I.e. co angler) in the FLW and Won tournaments and continue fishing my own boat in local clubs throughout So Cal, Nevada, NW Delta basically the Columbia the balance of this year and then move over to the East and South side events next year. (BASS/FLW etc) (Splitting my time east and west) After that sit down and see if I still have the passion and what it takes to go Pro full time.
I have the resources and passion. My strength would be my metal ability and gift. I can block out 99% of the fisherman banter and drama. I have been a semi pro golfer in the past and self employed my entire adult life as a serious dedicated entrepreneur. So I am the most confident in my mental toughness. My weakness would be my physical ability. Some I can fix some I cannot. Even though I have mental toughness, I am a sore loser but not to the point of Ike on the outside. Inside, you bet….
My most serious consideration is that fishing is a great source of fun for me. It’s very much like my day to day business the more I focus the better I do. Technically I still have a lot to learn and do not even put myself in the same boat - pun intended with the top combined 50 pros on BASS and FLW. I would love to know what KVD has forgotten. I can go do this and fail and still have fun doing it. I am blessed to have the opportunity to live the dream and would greatly regret not acting on it accordingly. My core business after years of hard work is in a great spot to wind things down to my son running the day to day or just one dedicated employee. Which means I don’t need to be there for the day to day events which gives me the best of both worlds. An income and support for being on the road and still have the respect of my long time clients and their referrals.
What I am thinking of doing is sponsoring an existing full time pro on each tour and like I said fish from the back and learn as much as I can. I am always the first one to a tournament as an entrant or spectator and the last one to leave. I can’t get enough! The competition side of me for this sport is like nothing else in my life. I have a great family a wife of 29 years and her support along with some great friends.
I belong to a few other sites and basically for the sake of time I only post on this one as it tends to have less drama than the others. Would appreciate some comments and thoughts from the members and maybe a story or two of those who have tried it and failed or succeeded. There is not one single reason for me doing this – it’s the absolute opportunity of a life time. It’s amazing to me to think of what one needs to do in order to do something like this. This seems to be one of those applications that the harder you work the luckier you get. I would think one needs lots and lots of luck at this level to accent ones skill sets. I don’t think I would be wrong in saying I have seen others become professionals with a lot less to work with that what I have. I am truly the luckiest hardest working guy you will ever meet.
Thoughts?
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 08:56 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Vegas I couldn't be happier for you for wanting to persue to the next level. You seemed to have built an empire for yourself to allow you to enjoy your life as you seem fit. You must of had plans during the years grinding it out to allow yourself opprotunities before you came of an age that would hinder a dream. I don't know anything about that level of tournament fishing, but I will be the first to say I am glad for you. About the only thing I have learned from the handful of tournaments I have fished is to never eat greasy foods the night before and the day of the tournament. Good luck on your new venture.
Old 03-11-10, 09:07 AM   #3
bcklash

You said you have been married 29yrs. so that puts you in late forties or early fifties. Your not getting any younger, sounds like the only person holding you back is you.

If you the resources and passion go for it. Don't get in your twight yrs. and saying what if.

Go for it and have fun.
Old 03-11-10, 09:37 AM   #4
Bender

I think first you should ask yourself why not? If you don't have anything holding you back then go for it! Be ready for 12+ hour days on the water all the time in every weather condition possible. About the only thing I would be afraid of is that it would turn out to be a job more than fun at some point. One of my friends got off the FLW tour a couple years ago mainly because of the expense and the sponsorship games that they play. If you have any questions I can see if he would be willing to talk to you.

I have 2 businesses myself as well, one real job and one on the side. I hope to be in the same position that you are in some day and I have a lot of respect for you since I know how much work it takes to get there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 09:45 AM   #5
BassinNC

Sounds like you got it planned out. Hope all works out for the best.
Old 03-11-10, 10:52 AM   #6
brushhog

I don't know diddly about fishing professionally, but i know a lot about not chasing a dream. a long time ago, I had a chance to follow a life long dream and coach at the collegiate level, I didn't.
I have an unbelievably great life now, wife, kids, job, you name it I'm happy. Still there i times I say what if...

No regrets Vegas, go for it!
Old 03-11-10, 11:39 AM   #7
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You seem to have worked very hard, set yourself up for this opportunity, and been waiting on it to come for a long time. Like the other guys are saying, the only thing holding you back now is you. If your family is supportive of the decision then there is no reason you shouldn't pursue your dream.
Old 03-11-10, 12:40 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

I see that fancy new rod has given you some confidence hahaha!
Old 03-11-10, 02:29 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Like Bender said, you will be in for harder work and longer days than you can possibly imagine. There are going to be all kinds of problems and plenty of stress too. But there is nothing worse than looking back and wishing you would have tried something when you had the chance. If you can afford to do it then there is no way anything should stop you from trying.
Old 03-11-10, 06:13 PM   #10
Cavs1123

Im only 13 and I want to go pro when i get older too. So i say that u should go for it so that i have a guy like you to look up to and say " i know him and i wanna be just like him"
GO FOR IT!!!!
Old 03-11-10, 07:02 PM   #11
bamabassman

GO FOR IT IF THAT IS WHAT OYU TRULY WANT! I have a nephew and he too wants to be a pro fisherman. I am gonna help him as much as i can. Which i know ain't much as far a steaching him anything, but i am gonna let him use my rig till he can get his own. Maybe one day he will win a new one and let me have it? Hey even i can dream can't i? lol.
Old 03-11-10, 08:43 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Thumbs up

You have a chance to live your dream. A once in a lifetime opportunity. If you don't try it you will probably always wonder and regret not trying it.
Old 03-12-10, 12:29 AM   #13
bassinbob

I'm 56 and if I hit the lottery big time I might do it. Um, I think I have a better chance of catching a 10lbr. here in Pa. lol Go for it man! Live the dream and never give up.
Old 03-12-10, 12:29 AM   #14
basstech

I can only relay my experience when I had that same question. This is still a dream, one which I may never have an oprotunity to realize due to the mistakes I've made in my life. However, I did have the oprotunity to find some things out about what it would be like in some respect. Back in '96-'97 I traveled for a year pulling my boat living out of my truck most of the time, fishing two different red man divisions trying to learn how to become a pro. I don't know what kind of physical limitations you have but I will say it takes great physical conditioning as well as mental toughness. The only way you can really answer your question is by following through on your game plan, which sounds like a good one. I really didn't know anyting about travelling and fishing on any kind of tournament trail. It's a good thing you have a great work ethic becuase the work is never ending. It was fun, but I wish I had known a lot more about tournament fishing than I did at that time. The only advice I can give you, knowing it as a fact, get yourself into great physical shape. There is nothing worse than fishing hard for five hours and feeling your energy and strength giving out in hours six and seven, to the point that you can't even set the hook, that happened to me last year. I got an artery ballooned and stinted in Jan. and am going through a cardio rehab program now (it's mostly rigorous excercise) and fished better last sunday for our season opener than I have in 3 or 4 years and as well as I ever have. Don't let your physicall conditioning be a liability, I can't stress that enough. The fatigue compounds its self over the period of five days, espeacially if there is a lot of wind and/or when the sun is beating down you, when it's cold and rainy, or when it's particularly hot. Most people have no idea how physically demanding this sport can be. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by basstech; 03-12-10 at 12:31 AM. Reason: punctuation
basstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 01:49 AM   #15
Vegasspider

Well thanks a lot guys. I have so much to talk about in this regard and thinking of a complete video blog from scratch. In answer to some of your comments etc. I am 49, married 29 years with two kids and our first grand baby of 9 months. I appreciate the compliments but I don’t have an empire at my disposal. O how I wish. My occupation is that I buy and sell companies etc. We either buy them and operate them or hold them put on a new coat of paint and resell them. Which is the preferred method. The reason I have the opportunity to get out there is we no longer hold a business. We only buy them to sell. No more operating.

I am not a typical corporate type but I believe my back ground working with a variety of corporations better prepares me for the larger playing fields and how things tend to work.

My experience also enlightens me as to things are not as they always seem. The older I get the more I can appreciate that talent is less than 5% of what one needs to achieve success as significant level. Being a great not just good but great listener is vital to achieve forward results.

I was completely inspired buy this clip of Bobby Knight during the 2008 classic. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/t...ic_2008_Knight After a serious slump and losing everything this was the time I learned the most about me…. (There is a better link somewhere online but I cant seem to locate it at the moment.)

Think of it like a diet. If you starve yourself and lose 10 pounds in a week – your too sick, deprived and starving to actually benefit from the weight loss. So most of the time what happens is you give in and gain all of the weight back and then a few more pounds to boot. It’s too extreme and it flat out does not work.

A little more about me. I am extremely devoted to my family and faith. I am not a religious fanatic but I defiantly believe in God and I answer to a higher power. My health issue is that I have had 12 foot surgeries do to crummy genetics and suffer from sever arthritis pain. However I am in fair shape and make it to the gym 3-4 times a week. (Not every week, if I get 2-3 days a week on the water I don’t make the gym.)

I live in Las Vegas and travel to LA and New York on a regular basis for business.. The destination changes from time to time. Right now I am traveling to Houston fairly regularly as well as Florida. (I was born and raised in St. Louis but lived in Florida most all of my adult life and have only been living in Vegas for the past 8 years)

Simply put I am crazy about this Bass Fishing thing always have been and will always be. It would be an absolute honor and privilege to compete against the best week after week.

Last edited by Vegasspider; 03-13-10 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 12:12 AM   #16
Vegasspider

Well a few new develops this week on my going pro endeavor. #1 in order to maximize my time on the water and to fish amongst some and key word “some “of the most competitive anglers I bought a second home in Tampa, FL. I plan to start out spending 40% of my time on the east coast. 40% may not sound like much but all of my time there will be dedicated to time on water and networking with the southern, Midwest and southern based pros, associations, manufacturers, etc. (I am from Florida originally and my son with his family is relocating back to Florida. He is moving the corporate offices for our business there but keeping California, Texas, Chicago, New York, NY offices as they are currently. We have a sale pending on a merger of a few of those offices so it if all goes well it will just be California and Florida. I won’t miss the New York or Chicago trips over the wintertime! It was not a hard sell to the wife since the grand baby will there. FYI my wife is from Los Angeles and prefers the west coast. I agree but for this phase of our life we agree to head east.)
#2, one of my primary clients has agreed sponsor me along with my pro if I enter as a co-angler or if I enter as a pro to pay all of the entry fees. The deal starts in July 2010 until December 2011. Since they are a large company they will do a complete press release. A little embarrassing for me but hopefully it’s the start of a very good thing and I will get used to it.
Not that anyone would be much interested now but my web guy is working on setting up a video blog for me to log my venture on going full time pro. It’s better for me talk than write and besides typical blogs are a little tiresome; I would pay attention to more if they were in a video format. We will see how it turns out.
My overall plan is to once my daughter finishes school here (4 years to make the move full time back to Florida.) We have one granddaughter of 9 months, my son is expecting to add another next year so by the time they get going and he gets settled in I will have some time under my belt fishing full time so it will make my requirement to be on the west coast less demanding.
Had a great day on the water today. I have a new jig combo that has been like the ice cream man rolling into town for the local Lake Mead small mouth rats we have. I will post a picture tomorrow of it, maybe…. Now that I am making the move might need to be a little more guarded with my secret sauce.
I am also getting serious about a new truck to travel in. My boat is brand new so good to go there for the west coast but will be buying another after the partial sale of the business to keep in Florida. I sold the RV and will never and I mean never do a big one again… What a pain.
Old 03-17-10, 07:57 AM   #17
Bob Smith

Vegas, I admire your business savvy and like the way you have taken the time to plan this phase of your life. Regardless of your success as an angler, you have set up a way forward that shields you from financial loss and you have ensured the family is protected. Well done! I am envious and wish you the very best. Here is the Professional Anglers Association website. If you have not joined it yet, I suggest you do. I am not currently a member but I am not seeking a career in professional angling either. I have a lot of friends who are members and who fish professionally (elite and the opens). They say this association is a good deal.

http://fishpaa.com/
Old 03-17-10, 10:35 AM   #18
Vegasspider

Default Thanks Bob

Thanks Bob and I just joined the PAA. I signed up under the advice of a current touring pro. It's only been a month but what an active association. In fact I fished in their hat yesterday. No water time today real job still comes first for the time being. One of the main things I am trying not to be overwhelmed with is doubting my skill set as far as fishing goes. It will come and I had a pro tell me “you know more than you thank you do” lets hope he is right.

Thanks again Bob for the compliment. Believe me I am fully aware that I have a shot at the dream and will continue to treat it as a privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Vegas, I admire your business savvy and like the way you have taken the time to plan this phase of your life. Regardless of your success as an angler, you have set up a way forward that shields you from financial loss and you have ensured the family is protected. Well done! I am envious and wish you the very best. Here is the Professional Anglers Association website. If you have not joined it yet, I suggest you do. I am not currently a member but I am not seeking a career in professional angling either. I have a lot of friends who are members and who fish professionally (elite and the opens). They say this association is a good deal.

http://fishpaa.com/
Old 03-17-10, 11:37 AM   #19
Justin2729

What does it take to go pro? LOTS OF MONEY
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 01:16 PM   #20
brushhog

Vegas - continued best wishes in your endeavor... I expect to be wearing my replica Vegasspider gear soon!
Old 03-17-10, 08:24 PM   #21
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin2729 View Post
What does it take to go pro? LOTS OF MONEY
Justin, I have been on the fringe of the business end of this for many years and affiliated with many savvy bait companies and media people out of hobby more than careerwise. What I have done is work closely with young and (older) friends and guide them through the process and put them in touch with friends and connections. I still do this for fun. What I can tell you from what I have seen is that there is indeed an investment just, as there with anything in life. That investment comes in several ways, including financial. It comes in the time you invest in your chosen profession (be mindful that bassfishing has numerous professions within the profession; tournament angling, guiding, tackle testing/prototyping, sales, and even teaching now that several colleges actually offer classes, media and promotion). Your success is often gaged by that investment in any of these. That investment is your energy and your ability to be the best that you can possibly be no matter what your chosen profession is. From there you develope a reputation and name association so that people will know who you are and want you on their team (the same can be said of any professional career). If you ever get a chance to talk to the pros at the top of thier game you will soon see a common humbleness that the more cocky pros that are often mediocre just don't have. In that humbleness is the desire to always strive to be better and never forget that you were at one time, just another angler, or someone that nobody knew. It is also the ability to be a mentor and help those who want to learn. I hope this is kind of answer that you were looking for.
Old 03-17-10, 09:01 PM   #22
aikenyounggun

Man, i hope it all works out for you. I hope you really can 'go pro' and have fun while doing it. If you make it give me 10 years and I'll be there, got to graduate high-school and college first though. I plan to work my way up and am driven just like you by my intense love of the sport.
Old 03-18-10, 03:01 AM   #23
Vegasspider

Default Lol

I could only hope to obtain humble sucess of having my own gear line....

My nickname Vegasspider came from a buddy. I live in Las Vegas but I dont live the Vegas life style. He said I "crawl" all of Vegas just to find some normal life. So he started calling me Vegasspider and it stuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Vegas - continued best wishes in your endeavor... I expect to be wearing my replica Vegasspider gear soon!
Old 03-18-10, 03:12 AM   #24
Vegasspider

Default Thanks Bob

It’s all about getting out there and networking like your getting paid. Even though your not at the moment. Just remember, you can’t buy a reputation you can only earn it.
I won’t say that money is not important, but there is way more to it than the money. If one was to only go pro for the money, I am not so sure you could set out and succeed just to make the money. As Bob points out there are a lot of ways to make money in the space. Even though you ultimately make money as a pro, it’s not something you can sit down with a business planner and say things like “when I am rich and famous” – “when I win” etc. It’s a tough tangible sell. I would bet 99.9% of the current pros never thought at sometime in the past that they would be a pro. It’s a goal but most find themselves there for a variety of reasons. There probably came a point in their life where it made since to go pro. I am sure some will say “I always knew I would be a pro.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Justin, I have been on the fringe of the business end of this for many years and affiliated with many savvy bait companies and media people out of hobby more than careerwise. What I have done is work closely with young and (older) friends and guide them through the process and put them in touch with friends and connections. I still do this for fun. What I can tell you from what I have seen is that there is indeed an investment just, as there with anything in life. That investment comes in several ways, including financial. It comes in the time you invest in your chosen profession (be mindful that bassfishing has numerous professions within the profession; tournament angling, guiding, tackle testing/prototyping, sales, and even teaching now that several colleges actually offer classes, media and promotion). Your success is often gaged by that investment in any of these. That investment is your energy and your ability to be the best that you can possibly be no matter what your chosen profession is. From there you develope a reputation and name association so that people will know who you are and want you on their team (the same can be said of any professional career). If you ever get a chance to talk to the pros at the top of thier game you will soon see a common humbleness that the more cocky pros that are often mediocre just don't have. In that humbleness is the desire to always strive to be better and never forget that you were at one time, just another angler, or someone that nobody knew. It is also the ability to be a mentor and help those who want to learn. I hope this is kind of answer that you were looking for.
Old 03-20-10, 04:51 PM   #25
Justin2729

OK then, how am i supposed to prefish the amount of time needed, buy my fuel and entry fees. tackle, hotel rooms, a boat and a truck. and still have to hold down a full time job and do all of those things..? Ive fished tourney's for a while im not saying those other things doesn't matter. But your fooling yourself if you think skill and a reputation is all it takes to become a pro. If you have solid finances,the time and the skill of course you can do it. You guys acted as if i had committed some cardinal sin by saying lots of money.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.