Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-10, 10:29 PM   #1
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Cabela's Warranty Question

Ok, so i was fishing today and got a snag and when I pulled back my rod tip smacked into a large rock that was behind me and the tip busted off about 6-8 inches from the end.

Now, my rod is a Cabela's Tourney Trail 7' Medium 2-Piece. I love this rod and I would hate to replace it with another, but I only bought this rod about 6 months ago, and Cabela's has this "Limited" two year warranty. Now, I've read over the brief warranty info, and it was pretty vague (not usually good, talked more about what they dont cover than what they do cover ).

Now, Im still under this warranty, I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with Cabela's and their warranties. So.... how should I go about this? Tell them the rod snapped because I forgot about the rock next to me? or make up a story about how it broke while reeling in a fish?

I would imagine that rod tips and warranties are a pretty touchy subject with rod manufacturers.
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 10:39 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cabela's rod warranties cover damage due to defects in craftsmanship. You would be hard pressed to present your incident as a defect in craftsmanship.

But hey, who knows...all they can say is "no." If you succeed, let me know...I'd like to get a refund on the XML rod I broke last November. The best part is the return shipping charges won't be much since the largest of the 4 pieces is only 29 inches long.

I should enclose a letter stating "man...did this rod suck...I tried to cast a 1/8 oz. hair jig with it, and it just self-destructed."
Old 05-18-10, 11:21 PM   #3
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Personally, I would tell them the truth and see what they say. I wouldn't lie about what happened, but that's just me.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 09:02 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I should enclose a letter stating "man...did this rod suck...I tried to cast a 1/8 oz. hair jig with it, and it just self-destructed."
And they'd send you a letter back, "It's not a Carrot Stick, we don't believe you!"

Boyo, all you can do is take it to a cabela's store and try. I wouldn't tell them anything except it broke and you want a new one. Unless they ask, leave it at that.

BB
Old 05-19-10, 09:07 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well, I don't know what your parents told you when you were growing up, but mine sure told me to tell the truth. Warranties are in place for a reason, to cover errors in the manufacturing process, not end user error. This would be easy enough for me...tell them what happened and let the cards fall where they may.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 12:12 PM   #6
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I called the store and they said I can return it with no problem. Apparently Cabela's is really good about returns on their Cabela's brand rods.
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 06:57 PM   #7
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I never fib in those cases. Karma always brings a lesson.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.