Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-07, 04:22 PM   #1
MSfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default redfish??

im going fishing for redfish soon with my girlfriends dad.. i have never fished for redfish, but i have heard they are very similar to bass.. any tips on how to catch some? ( lures, retrives, etc)???

thanks..
MSfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 05:35 PM   #2
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It seems the bass veterans do really well on the redfish tourneys. I'd try GULP!'s saltwater shrimps. They always use them on the tourneys.
Old 05-22-07, 06:41 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Havent fished Mississippi much for redfish, but if its off the beach then catch some herring, elway, or cigar minnows in a cast net and throw it out.. Pretty simple and can really produce. In bays, Use Gulp! Shrimp and throw along any type of weeds.. You will get more smaller, 2-13 pounders in the bay and bigger bulls, 15+ pounders off the beach.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 07:04 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

a gold single blade 3/8 spinner bait remove skirt and thread on a doa shrimp in new penny color.. this is a triple threat in the brackish water. bass pickeral,puppy drum all on the same bait -it's awesome!!- drum like edges, channel drops, laydowns,and points.. out going tide is best. fish skinny water. slack tide look deeper same places as out going tide just move out to the channel drop. look for currant areas points of saw grass with a currant are killer in slack tides..

zooker
Old 05-22-07, 11:35 PM   #5
MSfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

so these gulp shrimp... would you retrieve them like a crawdad?? and should i rig it like a texas rig or carolina or drop shot??? and where can i find them?
MSfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 09:46 AM   #6
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You can buy gulp shrimp at walmart round here. I usually rig em texas style, with a split shot about four inches up the line. When you bring it back, you want to let it hit the bottom, sorta scoot it along for a foot or so, then jerk it hard once or twice. Zooks bait is also a killer. If you want an almost guaranteed fish of some sort, toss a castnet onto some finger mullet or whitebait, rig it through the lips, 8" under a popping cork on a 5/0 live bait hook, toss it either on the edge of a channel or up right off the grass, and just chill till you get bit.
Old 05-23-07, 06:03 PM   #7
zooker

yeah i know i have caught some truely nice drum using it..

zooker
Old 05-25-07, 03:59 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Redfish fight much better than bass, but are fewer in between at times. DOA stuff, Gulp stuff, flukes on a jighead, spinnerbaits with skirt removed and replaced with flukes, or shrimp as zooker already stated. Johnson gold spoon also work, as do topwaters, my favorite being a RAPAL Skitter Walk(saltwater). I'm guessing you should watch and learn from your futurwe wife's dad LOL.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.