Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-07, 08:34 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Rod/Reel List

Could someone tell me their setup?
What rods and reels are necessary for certain techniques?
Tell me which rods I need to have for each technique(topwater, frogs, jigs)

What specific rod and reel do you use for that specific technique?

Thanks.

-Julien
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 10:01 PM   #2
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Joolyen, you can get the answers to a lot of the questions you are asking by using the search option. So in other words check there first bud.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 10:54 PM   #3
jooleyen

Topwaterguy,

I normally would use it.
It's my bad for not making the post clear.
What are the SPECIFIC rods/reels you like for specific techniques?
Old 02-24-07, 11:25 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY

Do you mean brands?
Old 02-24-07, 11:45 PM   #5
jooleyen

Yeah, model and brand.
Old 02-25-07, 12:04 AM   #6
ToPwAt'R GuY

Okay, most of the the rods I use are all stars. My flippin' stick is a fenwick techna.
Old 02-25-07, 12:10 AM   #7
Vabass22

I looove my Falcon mh 6'6" for t-rigs. Just bought an All-Star 6' m/mh for weightless plastics that I cant weight to try out. Other rods are not that great
Old 02-25-07, 12:48 PM   #8
FlyRod

Jools,

Your question is so easy to answer as "Why is there air?" No fault on your part, however, since hunger for knowledge is always a good thing (unless you're curious as to what gay sex is like. You might ask...never mind )
Some here will state that they have a rather inflexible menu of rods, reels, lines, etc, all dedicated to a VERY specific purpose and technique. Others, such as myself, will admit that they change brands, models, actions, retrieve ratios, line types and strengths, so often as you change your underwear.
Still, as a sort of guideline, here are a few of my selections. Note that these will change, often, depending on what's new, if I can scrape up the money, etc. One common thread, applicable to nearly ALL my tackle selection, is the desire for the least possible weight in my rods and reels.

Worming, 1/16 to 1/8 oz. 4-5" worms: Team Allstar 785C (M, 6'6") Shimano Chronarch 50MG (Rig also nice for small jig 'n trailers, such as 1/8 oz Bitsy Bugs.)

Worming, 1/8-1/4 oz.: St/Croix Avid AC66MHF, Diawa Viento or Curado 200BSF (Useful for jigs to 1/2 oz or large spinnerbaits.)

If I need another worm rig on hand for weights 3/16-5/8, I use a Falcon Lowrider 5-17 (MH, 7') with a REVO S (7:1 ratio) or 'Rado 200BSF. This rod is normally dedicated to long-range spinnerbaits, large Traps, buzzbaits, and toads.

Weightless worms: Falcon 5-167 Lowrider "Clark Wendlandt", with a Chronarch 50MG.
(A gift-the rod, that is-from Rebbasser.)

Tiki/Senko/etc, 5 to 6": Testing a 6'6" Browning Citori MH Spinning rod with a Quantum TiMag 3000, seems OK so far.

Tiki/Senko 4": Choice of: Citori 6'6" M Spinning with Quantum TiMag 2000
OR Falcon Lowrider 5-167 SPIN rod with same reel. Was using an AllStar "Zell Rowland" Classic casting rod with a 'Rado 100B w/wiffle spool conversion. The Falcon 5-167 spin rig is also used for small (3") grubs on 1/16-1/8 oz jigheads.

Large Topwater: Cabela's Topwater rod with 'Rado 200BSF.

Small T/W: Team AllStar 785C 6'6" M with 'Rado 100B w/wiffle.

Flipping/Pitching, weights from 1/2 to 1+: Kistler LTA 7'H with Shimano Castaic.

Shakey worms: Am in the selection process, evaluating the Browning M action Citori SPIN rod and the SPIN version of the Falcon 5-167.

Large cranks: Haven't settled on this yet. Have used the AllStar GT2 with 'Rado 5:1 for larger cranks, heavier Traps, and the occasional large spinnerbait. This rod is tough, but is "clubby" and tires you out quicker. Considering the 5-17 Lowrider or similar rod for this.

Small cranks: Usually the same as for small T/W. See above for that.

Flukes: Various

Hard jerk baits: Probably the Zell Rowland AllStar.

I AM in the hunt for the "perfect large crank rod", but seem stymied.
I DO want to someday own a LOT of St. Croix Avid rods in lieu of some I'm currently using.
I DO want more LIGHT (weight) casting and spin reels...Mmmmmm...Daiwa STEEZ!
I WILL buy a LOTTO ticket!

Hang in there, and remember...the LIGHTER (weight, not action) your gear, the longer and more effectively you will fish.

Uncle Fly
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 02:01 PM   #9
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

Flyrod guy is getting TOO technical about it. If you are asking a question like that its obvious you're not a seasoned pro (no offense). Saying that you're probably not wanting to make a HUGE investment in your rod/reel choices.
We'll go through what you should need in the beginning and try to answer ur questions that you gave specific lures for.

#1-spinnerbait rod- this is a staple lure for every part of the country and everyone should have a spinnerbait rod in the boat no matter what time of year. This rod should be 6'6" to 7ft (med. hvy) depending on your stature. Im only 5'9 so i prefer the 6'6". This can also double as your worming rod and a makeshift anything rod. Basically this rod is your bread and butter.

#2 JIG/FROG rod- 7'0" -7'6" (Ive even seen people use 8 footers) but seven is good for me. The function of this rod is to place a lure in a bunch of "junk" be it wood, grass, docks whatever (accurately), hook a fish and get him to the surface quick. Its ur pool cue. Also a MUST. Cause when that front hits or the water turns to chocolate milk...ur gonna be pitching tight to cover.

#3- crankbait rod- something with a flimsy tip. I'd say a 6'6" medium is standard. Something you can get a long cast out of and a rod you wont rip the hooks out their mouth with.

These are the big three i think for standard "anywhere" fishing. Hope it helps.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 02:02 PM   #10
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

oh topwater....the 6'6" MD HVY is what i throw spooks, buzzbaits on .....
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 02:12 PM   #11
Vabass22

6'6" MH and a 7' M/MH(depending on the brand) are the two essentials.
Old 02-25-07, 02:20 PM   #12
pig n jig

Ratl traps require3 rods. A 6' Medium rod with 8-10 lb test for 1/4 oz. traps, for 1/2 traps I use a 7' medium rod with 14 lb test.3/4-1 oz. traps I use a 7' MH rod with 14 lb test.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 01:30 AM   #13
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchasejones View Post
Flyrod guy is getting TOO technical about it. If you are asking a question like that its obvious you're not a seasoned pro (no offense). Saying that you're probably not wanting to make a HUGE investment in your rod/reel choices.
We'll go through what you should need in the beginning and try to answer ur questions that you gave specific lures for.

#1-spinnerbait rod- this is a staple lure for every part of the country and everyone should have a spinnerbait rod in the boat no matter what time of year. This rod should be 6'6" to 7ft (med. hvy) depending on your stature. Im only 5'9 so i prefer the 6'6". This can also double as your worming rod and a makeshift anything rod. Basically this rod is your bread and butter.

#2 JIG/FROG rod- 7'0" -7'6" (Ive even seen people use 8 footers) but seven is good for me. The function of this rod is to place a lure in a bunch of "junk" be it wood, grass, docks whatever (accurately), hook a fish and get him to the surface quick. Its ur pool cue. Also a MUST. Cause when that front hits or the water turns to chocolate milk...ur gonna be pitching tight to cover.

#3- crankbait rod- something with a flimsy tip. I'd say a 6'6" medium is standard. Something you can get a long cast out of and a rod you wont rip the hooks out their mouth with.

These are the big three i think for standard "anywhere" fishing. Hope it helps.

Yeah, I got toooooooooo technical
First example: Mentioning actual makes and models, in a variety of price ranges, so well as ALTERNATE applications for some.
Second: Answering the ENTIRE question...remember "REELS" in the youngster's query?

BTW, did you ever catch Ol' Jones...technically speaking, I mean

Flyroddus Rex

Last edited by FlyRod; 02-26-07 at 09:30 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 01:22 PM   #14
skeeter944

i like bass rpo shops extreme rods,if you can get them on sale they are very good for the money. i rely on 4 differant rods,1 7' medium spinning rod for tiny worms,weightless wroms,and tiny jigs. 1 6'6'' mh baitcaster for t-rigs and 1/4 ounce jigs,i do some c-rigging on this rod also. 3 is a 6'6'' m baitcaster for spinnerbaits and traps,i dont fish much topwater or cranks,it mostly has a spinnerbait on it all the time. 4 is a 6'6'' h baitcatser for pitching and c-rigging. i will bet replaceing number 4 with a 7'mh extreme rod later this year. just keep it simple with rods,,and cover the basics.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 03:43 PM   #15
everettvet

Lots of good info on here. I was reading a Bassin' magazine (I think) last night (the last one out). It had an article that talked about 5 rod/reel combos to have while fishing and the different (multiple) techniques each setup could be used for. Not a bad read for more info.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 07:01 PM   #16
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=10752

I'm not gonna get into what specifics I use, due to what I use is probably different than what others use. Sometimes just your location is a prevalant issue. What I mean is that perhaps the rods/reels I use are due to what was available at the stores locally when I started buying. I have a brand preference, but so do others. Some will always say their brand is the best, some won't. As you already know it's a "OPINIONATED SPORT".

Lizards
Old 02-26-07, 07:05 PM   #17
jooleyen

That's great guys. I did want specific rods and reels, but post about the action for them and what essential rods and reels are is great. Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 02-26-07, 08:47 PM   #18
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It is also hard to compare my equipment to guys in the South who are catching bigger bass. I am sure I use lighter line and smaller jigs and such than the guys in Florida, NC and Alabama etc.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.