Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-08, 12:02 PM   #1
RIP LIPPER
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Carolina Rig

Thanks for all the responses to yesterdays post (lipless cranks)! Now just wondering if some of you vets could answer me this. When you fish a carolina rig do you just reel in the bait or is it better to hop it along the bottom. Also is the more bouyant bait the better choice? Was fishing the other day with a Gary Yamamoto creature and it was never really getting off of the bottom at all. Caught 1 fish on this c-rig. Switched to a texas rig and caught four more on the same bait in a quarter of the time (hopping the rig). How do you present the bait on your carolina rig? Thanks for any input.
RIP LIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 12:11 PM   #2
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've used floater worms in this application. They will suspend at the length of your leader. I like dragging it. It almost reminds me of a lizzard chasing his prey. This has bean the most effective technique for me.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 01:22 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dragging it is usually the ticket for me. but experiment because different days they want different presentations. if i am fishing in a lot of rocks i will give it really small hops, just enough to keep the sinker barely off the bottom when it's moving. this helps keep it from getting hung in the rocks.
Old 04-01-08, 03:46 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've not tried C-riggin yet, but draggin is what most overyone has told me. I can't wait to try it, I went all out and bought some 1/2, 3/4, 1 oz Tungsten weights, lots of bait, and I want to get one the of the Falcon LowRider Lizard Dragger Rods.

BB
Old 04-01-08, 06:25 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

oh and i mainly fish lizards on a c-rig, but most any softplastic bait will catch fish on a c-rig at one time or another. around here flukes, senkos, tubes, trick worms, hula grubs, brushogs, beavers, and your good old fashion powerworm get a lot of time on c-rigs.
Old 04-01-08, 06:27 PM   #6
zooker

i drag....

zooker
Old 04-01-08, 07:43 PM   #7
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i drag....

zooker
SAME HERE.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 07:50 PM   #8
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i drag....

zooker
I'd say I puff, or maybe toke, but never drag.
Old 04-01-08, 09:27 PM   #9
brushhog

LOL... I generally drag ,sometimes I mix in a short hop and drag again... all in all, not my favorite presentation.
Old 04-02-08, 09:49 PM   #10
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yeah, I don't know, I've caught really decent size bass on the c-rig, but I just don't like to throw it too much. I don't like the inability of feeling bites. I think I'll use it a little more this year.
Old 04-02-08, 10:10 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Drag it. You want it to keep in contact with the bottom kicking up a mud trail.
Old 04-03-08, 05:49 PM   #12
bamabassman

drag, hop, drag, then let it sit.......drag, hop,sit.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 07:44 PM   #13
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As Reb said...

hop it along the bottom... make some mud and dirt clouds in the water. The sounds and vibrations of the weight on the bottom attract the fish. Try the ol' 10 to 11:30 rod tip hop. Start at 10, then go to 11:30ish... This should work.. I personally have not tried c-rigin' yet, but all the fishing vids on you tube and some of my collections of fishin' shows advise of this technique (also Reb told me lol)
Old 05-05-08, 01:57 PM   #14
bassnman30

As has been mentioned before drag on clean bottums and pump your bait in rocks. Dragging increases the situation of hanging up in the rocks.
I use 3/4 oz. Tru Tungsten weights, they cause more feel to the fish than regular weights. They cost a little more but I feel that they are worth it. No plastic in the center, they are grooved inside so they don't cause nicks in the line.
Old 05-06-08, 01:59 PM   #15
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP LIPPER View Post
Was fishing the other day with a Gary Yamamoto creature and it was never really getting off of the bottom at all. Caught 1 fish on this c-rig. Switched to a texas rig and caught four more on the same bait in a quarter of the time (hopping the rig).
Hereīs some food for you to chew on with an example:

My friends and I go with relatively frequency to a lake called Zimapán here in central Mexico, the lake was built by daming a canyon and itīs extremely deep with very steep rocky sloping banks, about 70% of the time the water is crystal clear and under such circumstances bass hunt by sight, if you fish a C-rig when the water is that clear you can make a killing.

But 30% of the time the water is not that clear, specially after the rainy season has ended or during the spring when the algae blooms occur. When the water is murky/muddy bass donīt hunt by sight but by sound and vibration.

My friend Pedro even though quite a talented angler is as stubborn as a mule which can be good or can be bad, his defect is that he insists in fishing the history and not by fishing the present day conditions, since 70% of the times we have fished in that lake the water has been clear and he has caught numerous fish with a C-rig then when the water is not that clear he continues to fish the same fashion C-rig as he did when the water was clearer. The results are that his catch ratio plummets.

So whatīs the deal ? that the fish are not hunting by sight but by sound and vibration ( the current day conditions ), if this doesnīt tell you anything then let me explain; letīs say that the c-rig has a 2 ft leader, that means that the bait is two ft away from the sinker, when the water is not clear and the sinker hits the bottom or is dragged on the bottom ( sonic clues ) many fish with be called to it because sound is a powerful attractor, but the catch here is, the fish will be attracted to the sinker and not to the bait which is 2 ft away, since fish canīt see the bait they canīt bite it and youīll get few bites.

With the T rig the situation is different, the bait is right behind the sinker, fish are attracted to the sinker and the bait is right behind it where the fish can see it.

Does this mean that a C-rig is a bad idea under such circumstance ? not really, itīs a bad idea if your bait is too far away from the sinker, with a shorter leader itīs a good idea.

The same applies to C-rig when fishing certain types of weedbeds, you need a long leader for the bait to float above the vegetation where the fish can see it, if you tie a short leader then is not that great idea because the bait will get buried in the vegetation when you pull the rig.

So the "rules" have different interpretations depending upon the circumstances.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:30 PM   #16
RIP LIPPER
BassFishin.Com Member

THANKS FOR THE INPUT RAUL. THAT DOES MAKE SOME SENSE! nEVER THOUGHT OF IT LIKE THAT.
RIP LIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 04:37 PM   #17
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've not tried C-riggin yet, but draggin is what most overyone has told me. I can't wait to try it, I went all out and bought some 1/2, 3/4, 1 oz Tungsten weights, lots of bait, and I want to get one the of the Falcon LowRider Lizard Dragger Rods.

BB
If you wanna know the truth, you've wasted money. In my opinion, anything over 1/2 ounce will dig into the bottom and you won't feel crap, especially in sand and gravel.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:48 PM   #18
BigBassin144

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

bb
Old 05-08-08, 08:51 PM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
I'd say I puff, or maybe toke, but never drag.
P.K. jr., Good stuff . . . the C-rig drag works well while listening to the Doors.

Last edited by Wishing2BFishing; 05-08-08 at 08:58 PM.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:56 PM   #20
Wishing2BFishing

Raul, very informative post. I hate to admit it, but oftentimes I am the guy that is fishing the history and not the present day conditions.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:57 PM   #21
BigBassin144

hahaha!!

little too much info though

BB
Old 05-08-08, 09:06 PM   #22
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Raul, very informative post. I hate to admit it, but oftentimes I am the guy that is fishing the history and not the present day conditions.

I think we are all guilty of that at one time or another.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.