Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-05, 10:34 PM   #1
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Where did bass hide? which area should be the best BASS spot?

Went to fish there this afternoon. It was a pretty warm afternoon(26c or 79F), however, the water is pretty cold now( 19c 66F). I caught bunch of different size pike, but not even one bass . I believe that bass is still around there, cuz I cuaght 7 at shallow around there last week. Asked a local guy and the lock workers, they all said it's too cold for bass fishing now. I don't believe it, at least I don't want to ! I did catch some decent bass on some small lake belong to the same water system last OCT. So just wondering if you guys were there, or will be there, which area you think is the best spot for BASS, furthermore, what kind lure you want to use!

If you want to see the large version, which is hoped to make more sense, here is the large version link:

HTML Code:
large version

For more closeup looking: here is the picture I took from "*" sign on above picture. I used to fish from that spot last 2 or 3 weekends. And H, I, J are shallow, and I caught couples LM around 2LB last month.

Large version link:
HTML Code:
large version

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks.

H2O

BTW, Lizards, I didn't catch bass on the buzzbaits as well as other lures. However, the action was really impressed me, I mean I could make a real slow retrieve on a 6.6' spinning setup. And the funny part was the local fishing guy(you can see him on the pictures) came to see what's going on when I casted the buzzbait under sunny bright sky around 2:00PM. He's kinda like "dude you are so weird to use buzzbait RIGHT NOW!", I could read this on his face! And then on the 5th or 6th casting, I EVEN CAUGHT A SMALL PIKE ON THE BUZZBAIT!!! I tried to unhook the poor fish AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE, and tried to let the guy saw it---IT'S ON THE BUZZBAIT!!! A lot of fun there.

Any way, thanks again.

H2O

Last edited by H2O; 10-02-05 at 11:08 PM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 11:12 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

H2O, from just looking at the pic I would fish the points g and k and where the wall transitions to the bank q. You could also target the wall fishing parallel to it. If the area you have marked j is a creek I'd target in and around the mouth-as the water cools bass start moving into the creeks following the baitfish. Lures-I would start transitioning to colder water lures, but the water is still warm enough so they should be feeding. I'd try a spinnerbait and a lipless crankbait and vary the speed of the retrieve. If that doesn't work try a suspending jerkbait around the points and the irregular features. A jig-n-pig is also worth a try in and around any cover. Hope this helps
Old 10-02-05, 11:36 PM   #3
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
H2O, from just looking at the pic I would fish the points g and k and where the wall transitions to the bank q. You could also target the wall fishing parallel to it. If the area you have marked j is a creek I'd target in and around the mouth-as the water cools bass start moving into the creeks following the baitfish. Lures-I would start transitioning to colder water lures, but the water is still warm enough so they should be feeding. I'd try a spinnerbait and a lipless crankbait and vary the speed of the retrieve. If that doesn't work try a suspending jerkbait around the points and the irregular features. A jig-n-pig is also worth a try in and around any cover. Hope this helps
Thanks. so you think the water is still warm enough? I think so too. So what's the reason that turned off the bait? I am still trying to figure out it!

Yes J area is a creek, but still not very deep. I did caught a lot of bass there earlier by using spinnerbait and wacky tiki. One thing I am just wonder why you want to lipless crankbait, cuz it's the only lure I didn't try it ! Thanks.

I can go there about 3 more weeks, and then at the end of this month, the dock is gonna be like the platform of Tokyo subway, becuase guys can catch salmon there about 2 weeks as the lock workers told me!
Old 10-03-05, 12:02 AM   #4
Rebbasser

Quote:
One thing I am just wonder why you want to lipless crankbait, cuz it's the only lure I didn't try it !
I like them for several reasons. It is a great search bait, it will catch the active fish, and it resembles what they are chasing, which is baitfish. Once the water gets below 60 they will slow down, but for now they are actively feeding, and when they feed actively a trap is a great choice.
Old 10-03-05, 12:52 AM   #5
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
I like them for several reasons. It is a great search bait, it will catch the active fish, and it resembles what they are chasing, which is baitfish. Once the water gets below 60 they will slow down, but for now they are actively feeding, and when they feed actively a trap is a great choice.
Thanks. Actually I've two of them. I'm gonna try them next time.
Old 10-03-05, 01:39 AM   #6
KalimanMX
BassFishin.Com Member

I think that the q, h, i, and j spots are good in the morning and the a, b, c and g spots are your best bets later. In the morning maybe a tiki weitless and later a work or a jig for the deeper spots.

Hope it helps
KalimanMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-05, 07:10 AM   #7
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

fish the corners on the wall like where they come out and the points and shady bank on the one side. I would probably fish it all because you never know!
Old 10-03-05, 12:48 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Until the water gets below 50-55 degrees(in Indiana anyways) the Buzzbaits will work. Glad you liked them, they are fabulous IMO. Now as for the current temps, yes the fish will bite. It's never too cold to bass fish LOL. I would think the slower bite has more to do with other things like barometer, inconsistant weather patterns, or cold fronts. Any weather change, especially a sharp change can put the fish in the lockjaw mode. Everyone already gave info on some baits, but try to determine more than just the temps, lots of things go into fish being more active. They could just have been somewehere else chasing baitfish as Reb alluded to.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.