Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-09, 10:23 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Bass Boat for Tall Guy?

Let's just say after waiting years and years as an adult to finally have my very own fishing boat, I have been disappointed to find out that I am too tall to drive every single one I've looked at. I'm only 6'5". Hardly a world record. Though it is killing me to say, I think a bass boat might have to remain just a dream, unless someone can guide me to something I can use. I can't be the only guy over 5'10" who likes to fish. I just don't like having my butt 4 inches off the bottom of the boat with my right leg under the console, the throttle lever in my armpit, and my left knee under my chin.

I have about $5000 to spend, and I don't have a problem with an older boat.
Any thoughts?
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 07:01 AM   #2
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

a deep v 16 footer will work very well.... I just bought a G3 sixteen footer that's a little over 7 feet wide....has a 50 hp Yamaha tiller motor. I had a sixteen foot bass boat but didn't like it much.....tippy and took a little water over the bow now and again. I previously owned a sixteen foot Sea Nymph deep V with casting decks and tiller motor...should have kept it.....sold for 4 thousand. I think if you shop around and go for a deep V you won't be disappointed.....imo.
I'm only 5'3" and had trouble fitting and driving the 16 foot bass boat.....console too close to the seat.
/Welcome to the Board/ and Good Fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 01:01 PM   #3
nofearengineer

The G3 V170C looks perfect for me. But given that it only came out in 2008, they're still too expensive for me. Does anyone know any particular manufacturers/makes of this type of boat that are 5-10 years old? I think those would be more in my budget.
Old 03-24-09, 01:23 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One of my friends is about that tall and has the same problem. I think he found a used Champion last year that he actually fit in. It's really surprising how little legroom most boats have.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 01:58 PM   #5
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

I am 6'2" but I fish in a 16'2" Skeeter. I can sit in it fine but I could never put a hot foot in due to lack of legroom. My dog also hides under the console while we are on plane and it has never been a problem.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 02:37 PM   #6
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
One of my friends is about that tall and has the same problem. I think he found a used Champion last year that he actually fit in. It's really surprising how little legroom most boats have.

theres enough room for my legs side by side under my console..
but thats it..
Old 03-24-09, 04:10 PM   #7
nofearengineer

I sort of stumbled onto a 2003 G3 PF 175 that is pretty tempting. It looks like it has almost as much legroom as the V, plus with a couple more years of age on it, the price is right. Since it's a pole-mount seat, I figure I could always unbolt it and machine some sort of steel plate to move it back a few inches if I need a little more. Either that, or I'll have to teach my parrot how to drive me around. We can be the scourge of the seas, matey! (or at least the scourge of Patoka Reservoir).
Old 03-24-09, 04:19 PM   #8
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

can't go wrong with a g3. my old man has a pf 175 and i have a pro mv 185. both are good rigs.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 05:00 PM   #9
zooker

i have been in and around dozens of boats i am 6'5'' 312 pounds.. trust me NOBODY makes a boat that fits us big guys.. the g3 has some of the best leg room i have ever seen in a boat -glass or tin-.. trust me hoss i have been biting my knee ridin in a 21 foot ranger boat..

sprint boats have the best leg room of any boat i have been in..

zooker
Old 03-24-09, 07:40 PM   #10
bamabassman

well at 6'1", i too have somewhat of a problem with the same thing pal. but my hot fot in my cajun is far enough back that is it fairly comfortable. as for the throttle lever..... well i just had to get used to it i guess. i have a 97 rajun cajun, 20'. and it is a lot better than most other rigs i have been in.but i haven't been in a sprint rig, so..... good luck buddy. and see about a center console maybe?

on another note, welcome to the site pal. this is the best fishing site on the world wide web. feed the monkey and you'll be fine, hahahaha.
Old 03-24-09, 08:51 PM   #11
Basscrazie

Ever thought of a center console?Alot of aluminum boats have cc's and casting decks.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 11:02 PM   #12
nofearengineer

I'm looking at a fish and ski now....a Tahoe Q3. It looks like it has pretty good room in the driver's seat. Anyone ever drive one? It's not quite the hardcore fishing boat, but at least I'll be able to get a female to go on it willingly.
Old 03-25-09, 03:00 PM   #13
woody

I used to own an 18 ft. Crownline I/O with the added fishing package. It was easy to drive but hard to fish.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 05:29 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Yeah...I'm a hardcore fisherman, so a fish and ski is not an ideal boat for me...but it sure beats bank fishing. On a positive note, the ski platform on the back will make getting back in the boat easier after I go diving after snagged plugs.
Old 03-25-09, 06:02 PM   #15
WTL

What about flats boats? Don't they have a more open design?
Old 03-25-09, 06:57 PM   #16
rangerryan

im 6' 5 and weigh 240 and i own a 20' 9" ranger and get along fine i have plenty of leg room while driving. i have riding in smaller boats and have bruised my shins up terribly because my legs dont fit under the console. but there are a lot of boats out there that will fit you just gotta look.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 12:28 AM   #17
gamblerjewell
BassFishin.Com Member

Gambler is a great boat for a big guy I am 6 foot 250 and I had to move the hot foot closer to me to reach the hot foot comfortably.
gamblerjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 12:16 PM   #18
nofearengineer

Thanks for all of the advice guys. After experiencing the "joys" of dealing with used boat "sellers", I think I'm just going to save up about $15,000 and buy a 2-3 year old G3 Angler V (hopefully a 172). I was thinking about rivets vs. welded, but I figure if airplanes are riveted, it's good enough for me.

As somewhat of a novice boat buyer...I think it's amazing how many so-called "sellers" think their boat is worth about twice what it books for. I take a price guide's opinion for just that, but sheesh. Even giving most boats the benefit of the doubt, it's hard to believe someone selling a $4,000 boat for $12,000. I don't mind haggling, but it's like you would need a loaded shotgun to get some people down to a fair price. If they're not seriously interested in selling, they shouldn't advertise as such.

I also love the others who find that miraculous buyer 20 minutes after you ask to bring a surveyor with you when you come to see the boat. Do people really think you are going to buy their boat sight unseen off of their ebay page? Grumble, grumble.

Anyways, I hope you guys have a good bass spawn...I'll be missing it. Hopefully, I'll catch some good Fall action. (Boats should be a little cheaper then too )
Old 03-30-09, 03:14 PM   #19
WTL

There is such a thing as "priced not to sell". Its what happens when you have someone else making the financial decisions for you and they say the boat has got to go. You then say, OK, but we are gonna get what its worth - $50,000, even though its really only worth 5k- and then they dont know no better. Then you get to keep the boat.

For 5k, if you are handy you can go about making a little of what you want. It wont be so polished and new, but it can be done.
Old 03-30-09, 07:08 PM   #20
zooker

no

the key is to find a dealer with great cosumer service...

i am sending you a link in your im..they have a 2009 g3 v17c with a 4 stroke 50 horse yamaha.. $13895... tell "josh" i sent ya..

zooker
Old 03-30-09, 10:06 PM   #21
nofearengineer

On the way home from work tonight, I passed a 1990 Hydra-Sports 19' DV-200-FF for sale ($2900) in a local Wal-Mart lot. It's got an Evinrude 200 XP hanging on the back. It is a little sun-bleached and has a few dings here and there. Best thing is...I can sit in the cockpit comfortably. I couldn't believe it. I'd probably have to move the hotfoot back a bit farther though to make it really work. I'm sure I'd could easily spend another 2-3 grand cleaning it up and re-outfitting it, plus any work the motor needs. Can gelcoat be made shiny again, "painted" in some way? I can redo the carpets and get the seats reupholstered.

I'd like to take a better look at it in the full sunlight tomorrow. Any common problems you think a rookie like me might miss unless forewarned before I spend the money to have it inspected?
Old 03-30-09, 10:31 PM   #22
bamabassman

have the motor pressure tested. check fo leaks, make sure of what works electicialy. take it for a spin on the water. ask so many questions the owner gets confused (if you decide you want it) andmake him a lower offer.lol.

for real have it checked out REAL GOOD. motor, pumps, lights, everything. from the price it sounds like it might need some work. just my opion.
Old 03-31-09, 06:31 AM   #23
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
have the motor pressure tested.
my lower units getting done today.. so i'll get back with you tonight and tell you what it costs.
Old 03-31-09, 09:14 AM   #24
nofearengineer

By "pressure test", do you mean checking the compression? I have a gauge and have done that on car engines many times. However, I was warned by someone that on these modern outboards, you can't just pull all the spark plug wires and do one cylinder at a time...something about frying the ignition module. So I need to leave the other 5 wires (on a V6) connected? Woooo....nothing quite like getting the crap knocked out of you by a live spark plug wire...had that happen once...once.
Old 03-31-09, 10:08 AM   #25
Rickanns
BassFishin.Com Member

This may be off the wall for you, but have you considered a pontoon boat. I switched after many years of fishing out of a 18 foot bass boat and am loving the room and comfort of my G3 20 footer rigged for fishing. Lots of pro's and con's here, but it might be worth consideration.

Rick
Rickanns is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.