Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-09, 11:25 AM   #26
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A pontoon boat would be hilarious. Take the whole family fishing! Heck...the whole EXTENDED family! I bet 6-7 people could put a hurt on a school of crappie. I can't imagine it being much fun in the wind though. I also don't think it would fit in my garage. But thanks for the fun suggestion.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 12:06 PM   #27
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

Take a boat mechanic with you to look at it. You will eventually need a mechanic anyway so find one you like then ask him to look at the boat with you. When I bought my boat I did not do this step and soon realized that I had 3-4k worth of upgrades that needed to be done to make it a decent boat.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 12:27 PM   #28
nofearengineer

You think I would be better off with a boat mechanic vs. a marine surveyor? I figure it will cost me $350 to get a surveyor to inspect the boat, but it might be money well spent. Especially since this thing is so far below book.
Old 03-31-09, 04:58 PM   #29
bamabassman

hey no fear......i got a 20 foot pontoon boat for sale. really i do. it is a LOWE with a 70 hp johnson or evinrude (really the same). a 12 volt tiller control trolling motor, fish finder, am/fm radio. ready for the water.year model is 1991. i like the rig, but i bass fish too much to enjoy it. great for the whole family. will pull a tube easy.
Old 03-31-09, 09:35 PM   #30
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
...but i bass fish too much to enjoy it.
Me too . And I plan on bass fishing a whole lot more when I get s proper ride. I consider being able to pull a tuber or skier only a fringe benefit.
Old 03-31-09, 09:45 PM   #31
bamabassman

heard that pal. good luck and tight lines.
Old 04-04-09, 01:44 PM   #32
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

6'3" 245 good luck. there is no such animal.
Old 04-07-09, 12:08 AM   #33
nofearengineer

Well...I finally found the boat. I am towing it home tomorrow. I ended up spending twice what I planned to spend, but I got a good price, and the boat is perfect for me. It's a 2005 Tracker Avalanche, and it is at this moment the most beautiful thing I have ever gazed upon. It has a 115 Optimax on the back which should do the trick for a non-tournament fisherman like me. I am in fisherman's heaven right now.
Old 04-07-09, 12:08 AM   #34
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am 6' 7" and 325 and my Ranger 488 VS does me just fine. I don't have room for a hot foot or room to recline but it is OK for me.

Something to think about. You may want to consider how stable a boat is as well. A Ranger is heavy with a wider front and I can move around much easier then a narrower and lighter boat. With a tall center of gravity I have found the Ranger to be a plus in stability for standing and operating the trolling motor and leaning over and moving around.

Food for thought.

PS I see we were both typing at the same time. The Optimax can be put on a computer and the history of how many hours and any trouble that may show with the motor on a quick check can be preformed. Mine is in for a gasket kit and mine has 98 hours on it I found out today. Not bad for a 2000 model.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16

Last edited by Tall; 04-07-09 at 12:15 AM.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 08:44 AM   #35
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ah yes, the two happiest moments of a boat owner; the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 10:21 AM   #36
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
Something to think about. You may want to consider how stable a boat is as well. A Ranger is heavy with a wider front and I can move around much easier then a narrower and lighter boat. With a tall center of gravity I have found the Ranger to be a plus in stability for standing and operating the trolling motor and leaning over and moving around.
Yeah...the beam on an Avalanche is 96". It's crazy wide for an 18' boat.
Old 04-07-09, 04:20 PM   #37
nofearengineer

Can anyone recommend a good quality aftermarket boat cover for my boat? It will be garage kept...i.e, the cover will mostly be for towing it, and the carpet is already white/gray, so it probably doesn't need to be one of the ultra-expensive ones. But then again, you maight think differently. Give me your thoughts.
Old 04-07-09, 04:50 PM   #38
carolina-rig-01

ask around your area, i bet someone around you makes boat covers. i know several guys around here who have taken them into canvas shops and had covers made for their bass boats. my grandpa had one made 3 or 4 years ago for his and it cost him around $300 and it is good heavy material.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.