Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-05, 06:18 PM   #1
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Red and White Daredevle Spoons

During a Michigan lull of two weeks duration we ran into a local American Indian lady who advised us to try Daredevles in a different manner.... We went into town as directed and bought 4 of the longest cane poles we could find.....16 footers at the time. We rigged them with the green woven nylon line by wrapping three feet of the tip and then making the line four feet longer than the pole, also as directed. We then tied on a Daredevle standard red and white spoon on each pole. My brother in law sat in front and placed the poles across each knee and under the other knee.....making an X pattern with the poles.....I sat in back with the motor doing the same thing......we then trolled slowly through each weedbed we could find and were often lifting one pole or the other to remove the weeds. The motor startled the fish out of the weedbeds and they would often take a swipe at a spoon on the way out. The first time we did this, the water was like glass, a hot and still day, two o'clock in the afternoon. We landed 5 pike, a 15 inch perch, several bass and for some strange reason, a bullhead. The largest bass probably went about 5 pounds, but struck slightly short of the spoon. As I recall, the spoons were about 4 inches in length and did not have weedless hooks, but regular trebles, also as directed.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-05, 07:56 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lol
they were /are the greatest tackle invention of all time . i recently got disgusted at a certain lake and pulled out my jigging rod and one of the lures i had was a black and white daredevil. i think the biggest fish i caught all year i got on that lure. bouncing it off a rockpile in 30+feet of water.i caught 9-10 other bass using the same method. i rig mine with a swivel about 12" above a snap swivel 1 thing they do is create lots of line twist. i use a 6'6'' spinning rod mh fenwick-of course- with a very long handle. i have a quatum energy pti spinning reel attached. i use 8 pound pink ande and i have caught tons of bass on this set up in very cold temps. also if i remember right i got a 12 pound flat head on this thing once -now that was fun-

zooker
Old 08-26-05, 07:06 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I cant beleive I'm about to say this but here goes I'm showing my age now. What you discovered from that lady is the old technique called jigger poling. A lot of old ttimers used to do it before the days of casting rods and used to mop up on fish. Now zook behave and dont chime in here.LOL
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-05, 07:30 AM   #4
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I can be wrong, but I thought jigger poling was when you had a short line and swept the lure around and about in the water near cover and stumps, especially in the spring here in the south. The long poles here are to get the lures out and away from the boat and the actual movement in this particular case is simply that of trolling. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong....I appreciate the inputs. Good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-05, 01:27 PM   #5
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

The short line and long pole is by definition "jigger poling" but it sounds like Mac1 just used a variant of that technique. Like you said, it was popular in the south. You don't think we'd do it the same up north here do you? LOL. Of all the years I spent in Florida, my favorite bumper sticker was " We don't care how you do it up North"
Old 08-26-05, 05:52 PM   #6
zooker

i have seen jigger poles at work at bugs island. and the guy was sweeping the water with a buzz bait and cleaning them out..i would have really hated fishing against this guy...

laser just how are you going to fish from that bullet with a walker taking up room on the front deck?? they aint got the biggest ones either ya know..

zooker
Old 08-26-05, 10:14 PM   #7
KH.

i had a cane pole and broke with a cieling fan on accidentLOL
Old 08-26-05, 10:43 PM   #8
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

ha, man i aint seen a cane pole in a loooong time
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-05, 09:29 AM   #9
zooker

and you claim to be from ga huh?

zooker
Old 08-29-05, 06:10 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Zook

They do when they are the 20XD yes grasshopper that means Xtended Deck you nut.
Old 08-29-05, 07:14 PM   #11
zooker

still tough to fish around your walker -or are you in a wheel chair after the sky fell on you??

zooker
Old 08-30-05, 04:46 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Ok grasshopper you got me on that one. Sometimers kicked in LMAO. Just wait everry dog has his day and I'm a pitbull when I have mine. LOL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.