Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-09, 10:06 AM   #26
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Mucho thanks to both of you.
Like the fact that you both mentioned Pflueger, since I've been paying quite a bit of attention to both of them, as well as Pinnacle and Okuma.
Old 03-15-09, 10:43 AM   #27
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have never used Pinnacle or Okuma, but I do have a Gander Mtn. reel that I believe is made by Pinnacle. I've definately used worse reels, but I've definately used better ones. My favorite brand for baitcasters is Daiwa.
I've never used a plfueger baicaster (except BPS's), but the BPS reel I used it nice.

BB
Old 03-15-09, 10:54 AM   #28
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
if i could stop buying more baits and such i could probably do what bb does, lmao. but i can't go into wally world without getting at least 20 bucks worth of baits. add that over a months time and i could buy some better rods and reels huh? hmmmmm...... ok, i'll try ,if i can,lmao.

I got the same problem man I just keep grabbing stuff every time I am near it .

Jim
Old 03-15-09, 10:59 AM   #29
bamabassman

ain't it just terrible jim? i mean we go and i tell myself before we inter the doors;"do NOT go to the sports dept dummy, save up for that new rod". then i say to myself; "maybe they have their new rods in stock, ya know ya want another garcia tourny rod like the one ya got already, just go and look." then i go and it ain't there, but there are all the baits....oooohhhhhh they got these NEW baits in......MMMMMMMMMM. THEN IT IS ALL OVER WITH. i got at least 3 new items in my hands. lisa just rolls her eyes at me. hahahahaha. then after we check out, she tells me that i am never gonna get that new rod if i keep on doing this penny here and there crap. i hang my head in shame............
Old 03-15-09, 11:05 AM   #30
Jim80

I feel your pain man The same thing happens to us all .

Jim
Old 03-15-09, 12:10 PM   #31
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Ok, I agree with someof what you said, but definately not all... Pflueger makes good reels, and they do make BPS's reels. I have a Johnny Morris Signature reel which, although it's heavy, is a good reel performance wise.

6.3:1 is a good all around gear ratio. As for bearings, more is NOT better. We've talked about this before, and I believe only 7-8 bearing (including the anti-reverse one) are actually in the reel. After that, they stick them in the handle under the paddles... And having quality bearing is MUCH more important than have a lot of them... If you notice, Shimano has less bearing in their reels, but shimano uses one of the best bearings on the market.

As for line guides, If you're not using Braid, Alconite Guides are fine. If you are, you may want to spend more for SIC (Silicon Carbide) guides. When I build a rod for braid, I use all Alconite exept the tip. IT saves money and the tip is all you really need. But you can't get a storebought rod like this. It's normally all or nothing. I do use braid on rods with Alconite guides, and I haven't experienced any problems. Although Ihaven't fished with them long.

For good spinning reels, Pflueger President or Supreme, Daiwa Exceler or Tierra or Fuego (if you've got deep pockets), Shimano Symetre or Saros (I've bought reels cheaper than the symetre from shimano and wasn't too happy with them), Abu Garcia Cardinal 300 series or their new Soron STX.

I don't use a lot of spinning reels, but my Abu Cardinal 301 (small reel) I use for dropshotting is a great reel.

BB

Looks like many agree with you!
I jsut got done checkin at BPS online, and I must say I'm falling in love with the Exceler, and the Saros, with a minor crush on the Pflueger Supreme.

Last edited by MallenManson; 03-15-09 at 12:15 PM.
MallenManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 12:22 PM   #32
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
OK, you have opened a can of worms pal, good ones at that. i too am pretty cheap on my setups. mainly cause i haven't gotten enough money to get the really good sets yet. i use abu garcia reels, have 5 of em. also have a pinnacle reel, like it alot too. and i use the lightening rod, cherrywood, and abu rod all from wally world. i WANT a revo reel and a fenwick rod. selections all depends on how much money you want to spend. then the rest is what you have confidence in. what feels good to you. have fun and hook em hard and fast. tight lines and bass dreams.

anthony just called me and said he bought a new rod and reel

ABU 302 spinning
Fenwick M rod..

and got them for 50 bucks on a combo.. must have been on sale
Old 03-15-09, 05:14 PM   #33
MallenManson

Well BigBassin, I demo'd the Exceler, Supreme and the Saros at Gander Mountain.
Color me impressed on all 3!
Old 03-15-09, 10:48 PM   #34
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
i just got a cherrywood from wallmart love it for the price i like quanum or pflueger but thats just me bassackwards
These rods are nice for the money..I gave my Cuzz one(he works at bps) and he liked it so much he went to wallmart and bought 3 more..He gets 40percent off at bps and still got it cheaper at wallmart..I would start with these to get the action of rods and what you use them for lengths action and all that mess will make scense to you later on and then you will know what you want by then in a high end rod.Good luck and tight lines.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 06:32 PM   #35
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscrazie View Post
These rods are nice for the money..I gave my Cuzz one(he works at bps) and he liked it so much he went to wallmart and bought 3 more..He gets 40percent off at bps and still got it cheaper at wallmart..I would start with these to get the action of rods and what you use them for lengths action and all that mess will make scense to you later on and then you will know what you want by then in a high end rod.Good luck and tight lines.

All Berkley rods are $5 off at MC Sports, and if you buy any Berkley $24.95 and up, you get a rebate for a free $20 Leatherman tool.
I'm probably gonna grab a couple Lightning rods myself ($34.99 after the $5 discount)
Old 03-16-09, 09:02 PM   #36
Bassboss

Quote:
Ok, I agree with someof what you said, but definately not all... Pflueger makes good reels, and they do make BPS's reels. I have a Johnny Morris Signature reel which, although it's heavy, is a good reel performance wise.

6.3:1 is a good all around gear ratio. As for bearings, more is NOT better. We've talked about this before, and I believe only 7-8 bearing (including the anti-reverse one) are actually in the reel. After that, they stick them in the handle under the paddles... And having quality bearing is MUCH more important than have a lot of them... If you notice, Shimano has less bearing in their reels, but shimano uses one of the best bearings on the market.

As for line guides, If you're not using Braid, Alconite Guides are fine. If you are, you may want to spend more for SIC (Silicon Carbide) guides. When I build a rod for braid, I use all Alconite except the tip. IT saves money and the tip is all you really need. But you can't get a store bought rod like this. It's normally all or nothing. I do use braid on rods with Alconite guides, and I haven't experienced any problems. Although I haven't fished with them long.

For good spinning reels, Pflueger President or Supreme, Daiwa Exceler or Tierra or Fuego (if you've got deep pockets), Shimano Symetre or Saros (I've bought reels cheaper than the symetre from shimano and wasn't too happy with them), Abu Garcia Cardinal 300 series or their new Soron STX.

I don't use a lot of spinning reels, but my Abu Cardinal 301 (small reel) I use for dropshotting is a great reel.

BB
I've been told this time and time again!!

The only thing stopping me from getting a Shimano was the number of bearings. It's a confidence thing. Can with out a doubt be a bad thing! I'll get a Citca sooner or later!
Old 03-16-09, 09:06 PM   #37
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

The only thing stopping me from getting a Shimano was the number of bearings. It's a confidence thing. Can with out a doubt be a bad thing! I'll get a Citca sooner or later!

The Shimano Saros i checked out yesterday gave me wood. That thing is a work of art. A little out of my price range the way work is right now so I'll probably go with the Daiwa instead
Old 03-17-09, 08:45 PM   #38
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Well BigBassin, I demo'd the Exceler, Supreme and the Saros at Gander Mountain.
Color me impressed on all 3!
Alright guys, open the money's cage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

I Know, I've looked under the paddle handles of some of my higher end reels and yup, 1-2 bearings in there. So that's where they hide those little buggers... I'd just go ahead and buy one. I think a Curado is going to be my reel for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
The Shimano Saros i checked out yesterday gave me wood. That thing is a work of art. A little out of my price range the way work is right now so I'll probably go with the Daiwa instead
OK... a bit too much info... ANYWAYS... I haven't used a Shimano spinning reel over the Sahara, but compared to the other reels, they don't feel as smooth to me. They do look awesome though.

BB
Old 03-17-09, 09:22 PM   #39
MallenManson

Quote:
Alright guys, open the money's cage!

I Know, I've looked under the paddle handles of some of my higher end reels and yup, 1-2 bearings in there. So that's where they hide those little buggers... I'd just go ahead and buy one. I think a Curado is going to be my reel for next year.

OK... a bit too much info... ANYWAYS... I haven't used a Shimano spinning reel over the Sahara, but compared to the other reels, they don't feel as smooth to me. They do look awesome though.

BB

I thought they were all incredibly smooth. Then again, I'm rollin with Shakespeares
Old 03-17-09, 09:50 PM   #40
BigBassin144

see if they'll let ya hold a Daiwa Steez. try not to crap yourself. I know they're way too expensive and I'm sure if their worth it, but they are awesome looking.

BB
Old 03-17-09, 10:07 PM   #41
MallenManson

Quote:
see if they'll let ya hold a Daiwa Steez. try not to crap yourself. I know they're way too expensive and I'm sure if their worth it, but they are awesome looking.

BB

Well I'm probably overdue for a good self crapping.
Any thoughts on Brownings? I see BPS has the Medallion GT on clearance for $49.94. The best spinning reel I ever had was a Browning. That was years ago though
Old 03-17-09, 10:24 PM   #42
Bender

Anybody tried one of the new Shimano Voltaeus rods? I saw them at a show a couple months ago but didn't get a chance to hold one. The concept sounds pretty good for the price.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 07:45 AM   #43
BigBassin144

I help them at Cabela's but I haven't fished with one. They were pretty light.

BB
Old 03-20-09, 02:17 PM   #44
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with what Bigbassin says....figure out what you want to do with the equipment. What kind of lures you want to throw and what kind of fishing you want to do, will determine your rod and reel set up. Once you get it narrowed down there's a lot of good quality stuff @ Basspro and Cabela's both....good luck with your Army career....
Old 03-20-09, 02:47 PM   #45
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if he is lookin to do pretty much everything with one rod, you cant beat an abu garcia for all around versatility...i love mine...ive thrown frogs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, worms, jigs, EVERYTHING with mine.
dont know what to tell you about the rod...try diff. kinds till you find something you like...not everybody likes the same thing.
fishin spro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 12:02 AM   #46
wadecon
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Buy New....

Take it from cheap or not you'll get what you pay for! I have a Shakespere Spinning Rod and Reel combo... It's cheap and reliable... As for my Abu Garcia it was cheap but used and it's a pain... I've caught a 35" and 42" Black Drum on the $20. combo... tightlines
wadecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 09:44 AM   #47
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 spinning reel on a 6' Medium action Berkley Lightning rod. I would spool the reel with 8 or 10 lb. mono.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.