Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-10, 10:29 AM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Scew in sinkers or the regular slip sinkers?

Is it worth it to use screw in sinkers or should I just use the regular ones the slip sinkers? Do any of you guys use them? Are they better than the other ones? I would be using them for just regular texas rigging. I wont be flipping. Thanks.
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 02:15 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have never used the screw in type, i have always just used slip sinkers because i dont really flip or pitch plastics at all. But recently i bought some bullet shaped jig heads from luck-e-strike for when i fish a local creek and they are pretty handy...

http://www.basspro.com/Luck-E-Strike...90001/-1329844
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 03:30 PM   #3
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

For regular Texas rigging, slip sinkers work just fine. I have used those bullet shaped jig heads and I like them too.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 03:58 PM   #4
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I screw all of mine. keeps the bait up way better.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 03:59 PM   #5
66KingFisher

If I want my sinker to stay in place I use bobber stoppers or peg it with a toothpick.
Old 11-02-10, 06:38 PM   #6
dave0943

I've always used slip sinkers or the Lindy walker slip sinkers. I might give a try next season. Was going to this year, just didn't get around to ordering any.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:12 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For t-rigging, I almost always leave the sinker to slide around.

One exception to this is when I'm fishing my Riggin' Skirt (my version of the punch skirt). In this case, I'll peg an 1/8oz weight, followed by the skirt, then a 5/0 Owner Twistlock hook, and my worm. I did good using a Yamamoto Swim Senko on this rig this summer.

When pitching and flipping, I peg it (usually a 3/8-3/4oz tungsten sinker) using rubber sinker stops.

BB
Old 11-02-10, 08:15 PM   #8
bamabassman

I have mostly used the slip bullet sinkers on lizzards and worms,etc. But i did get bag of screw in once. I like them fairly well. They tend to "stay" on the bait really good. But i don't think it matters all that much and they do cost a little more.
Old 11-02-10, 08:19 PM   #9
Old Hooker

I use sinker stops on my flipping weights. I normally just use a tooth pick on my T-rigs. We have mostly rock bluffs and rip-rap around here and a loose sinker will hang you up more.
Old 11-02-10, 10:25 PM   #10
BigBurlyBass

So should I just peg my waits or get the screw in ones or does it matter? With the screw in sinkers don't you have to rig the hook further down in the worm?
Old 11-02-10, 10:42 PM   #11
Jrob78

I wouldn't worry about pegging your weight unless your sliding weight is causing you problems.

I always rig soft plastics so there is 1/8" - 1/4" of plastic sticking up above the hook. If you want to eliminate sliding weights and baits sliding down the hook check out Parasite Weights. They latch onto the hook, keeping the weight in place and locking the plastic in place. They also don't tear up your worm.
Old 11-03-10, 06:47 AM   #12
keithdog

I peg mine with a bobber stopper. I used to use the screw in sinkers, but stopped using them. They work "ok", but I had too many of the wire screws come out, and the sinker never seemed to lay in line with the plastic, but always had a slight angle against the plastic. Plus the hook needs to be inserted further into the head of the chosen plastic to allow room for the sinkers screw. Not a big deal most of the time, depending on the plastic bait you have. A shorter bait, that could be an issue for sure.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:57 AM   #13
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I very seldom use a pegged weight. I have started using eco pro tungsten sinkers for all my bullet sinkers. If I feel a need for a pegged weight, I usually just switch to a shakey head jig. The small size of the tungsten sinkers seems to make the bait look a lot more realistic. The eco pro brand is fairly afordable now at $4.99 for a 4 pack with free shipping.
http://www.ecoprotungsten.com/
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 12:18 PM   #14
BigBurlyBass

Like in the video on this site "how to peg waits" can you use those with lighter waits and line? Because he shows that he is pulling the braid through the sinker stop so I am just wondering if that would fray lighter line? And Thankyou guys you have been so helpful!
Old 11-03-10, 02:11 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nope, the sinker stops are made of rubber, so they won't damage you're line. I've used them on Fluorocarbon down to 8lb test, and with braid up to 50lb. However, the metal loop the stop is on does kink the link. So make sure to only put the first inch or so of line through the metal loop, so you can cut off the kinked area. I normally have the kink so it is cut off as the tag end after I tie a knot.

BB
Old 11-03-10, 05:20 PM   #16
Bob Smith

I like the screw in weights better than pegging myself. I use them around the grass and pads when I am punching, or when I am looking for a reaction bite. for normal presentation or when the fish are lethargic I prefer the conventional bullet sinkers loose (In this case I go as light as my presentation will let me go).
Old 11-05-10, 03:22 PM   #17
BigBurlyBass

Awesome, thank you guys this stuff really helped me out! However, I did not buy any of the screw in type but what I did buy were the Tru-Tungsten colored bullet weights I got them in green pumpkin color (because most of my plastics have some sort of green in them). I also bought Jrob78's parasite weights. Both of these I got in 3/16 ounce size. Now have any of you guys ever used any colored waits with any noticable difference in how many fish you catch?
Old 11-05-10, 03:25 PM   #18
BigBurlyBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Nope, the sinker stops are made of rubber, so they won't damage you're line. I've used them on Fluorocarbon down to 8lb test, and with braid up to 50lb. However, the metal loop the stop is on does kink the link. So make sure to only put the first inch or so of line through the metal loop, so you can cut off the kinked area. I normally have the kink so it is cut off as the tag end after I tie a knot.

BB

Hey, thanks for that bit of information!
Old 11-08-10, 12:50 PM   #19
DVT Mike

I prefer a jig head over a scew-in weight. If I peg a T-rig weight, I peg it a hair above the hook-eye to allow free movement the bait.
Old 11-10-10, 01:05 AM   #20
Imgoodatwhatido

i also use the luck e strike bullet jig heads and i love them...i fish a lot of rock on tims ford and slip sinkers tend to hang up a lot. i use the bullet jig heads with a strike king rage craw an it performs flawlessly. Dip the claws in a little bit of orange garlic dye and wait for those big brown fish to jerk your arm outta socket. Also I rig them on a paca craw an shove a foam earplug in the hollow body of the paca craw and it gives it a defense stance. I havent fished a worm on these jig heads yet but im sure the results would be the same.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 11:47 AM   #21
BigBurlyBass

Hey, could any of you guys tell/show me how to peg a bullet weight with a toothpick I have never done it before. Thanks.
Old 11-13-10, 08:13 AM   #22
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBurlyBass View Post
Hey, could any of you guys tell/show me how to peg a bullet weight with a toothpick I have never done it before. Thanks.
Here is a video about Texas rigging. He demonstrates pegging with a toothpick at just about 2 minutes into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxV_PB6BWis

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.