Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-07, 03:55 AM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Push Pole

I fish a lot of shallow waters where no motors are allowed (even electric motors). As such, I do a lot of rowing. I am thinking of making myself a push pole as it will kill two birds with one stone: It is much quieter than rowing and I can look for structure at the same time.

Any ideas on how to make one (or find one cheap)?
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 01:39 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
I fish a lot of shallow waters where no motors are allowed (even electric motors). As such, I do a lot of rowing. I am thinking of making myself a push pole as it will kill two birds with one stone: It is much quieter than rowing and I can look for structure at the same time.

Any ideas on how to make one (or find one cheap)?
I make mine out of bamboo. Use a triangle piece of solid wood for push foot. Cut a groove to recieve the top of the triangle and shim with shaved rounded wood. Next bend four big washers to angle of bamboo. Drill two holes thru bamboo spacers and triangle board. Pass two screws and use washers at both ends. Tighten snug and use locking cement on nuts.

Pointy end is simple just find a stick and whittle down , insert and a small drywall screw.

They last five to six years and when they split between knots from drying out wrap with fiberglass reinforced tape. Cost is about 2 bucks.

Or buy a 450.00 Stiffy.. At least Cabelas now has them for 250.00..

I do a lot of backwater fishing and a push pole is the answer in a huge grass bed. That thick grass can kill a trolling motor.

Capt Mike
Old 12-30-07, 08:04 PM   #3
flfireman

Above sounds great and fairly inexpensive. Ive seen guys here using PVC wrapped with grip tape, with a T on the end.
Old 01-01-08, 05:34 AM   #4
pig n jig

I have this type of push pole.I bought it used at a duckhunters flea market for $20.00. The foot works extremely well in silt bottomed areas. Look around and you can find a better price. P N J

http://www.aquamasters.com/duckfoot.htm
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 08:18 PM   #5
Futurepro22

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

i bought 2 sections of 10 ft 1 1/2in pvc pipe.. i then cut a 12 inch section off one piece, then cut that in half again to make 2 6in pieces which i then used to make a T as a foot... at the top of the bottom section i threaded the other 10ft section..and on the top i capped it and wrapped hockey tape for grip..... i ended up w/ a push poll that was 18ft long that could be broken down for easy transport... and it only cost like 40bucks.. and it works!!
Old 01-03-08, 11:24 PM   #6
WallStreetAmigo

Thanks for all the info guys! The only concern I have with a T shaped foot would be that these lakes have serious weeds and soft bottoms. In my sometimes too logical mind, it would seem reasonable to expect that a T foot would hang up a lot more than a V type foot.

Let me know if I'm off base here.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 02:56 PM   #7
Futurepro22

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

the T does catch more weeds, but doesnt sink in the mud far... i also made a V foot too... just bought a 3 way connector... not that hard
Old 01-04-08, 08:43 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

I've got a 20' 4" monster with a 200HP Mariner Mag EFI on the back. During the spring when I am in shallow water, reeds, and really clear spawning areas I pull the Trolling Motor out of the water and pole around quietly and carefully. I use a heavy duty telescoping Fiberglass and Aluminum paint pole, with an old paint roller that I formed the shaft into a "V" shape that is usually sufficient for the soft bottoms in Texas, and works really well in the timber and stumps where you can push the "V" against the stump. 10' to 20' provides some generous reaching power that is sometimes handy. The nice part about poling is that you can also control your stop without stirring up the water as well. I used this pole for the last four years with no problems.
Old 01-06-08, 06:25 AM   #9
pig n jig

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...L&cmid=PP_P1_2
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 06:57 PM   #10
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well guys the push pole i use is the good ol limb i find laying nearby, lmao. can't afford to buy one, no matter how cheap it is. (says my wife) hahaha. one day i will get one and i like the onepigandjig showed. it looks like a very handy tool. uh-oh another tool she says, lol. thanks for showing her what i need guys. and making it a must have for me. now i'll have to wait till next christmas....oh well.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.