Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which element of your Bass fishing setup do you regard as most important?
the bait 6 13.33%
the hook(s) 1 2.22%
the line 6 13.33%
the rod 9 20.00%
the reel 0 0%
all of the above 14 31.11%
other 4 8.89%
this survey is a pointless waste of time 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. This poll is closed

Old 02-16-11, 09:56 AM   #1
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Post Your opinions

It's very possible that this question and/or survey has appeared in the past, but it won't hurt to ask again:

Old 02-16-11, 12:19 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The rod is the most important part of the set up for me. I can use any hook, line, reel, bait, whatever component, but I need a quality rod to get the most from all the other components. To me it's all about the rod, sensitivity, strength, quality (appearance) and pretty much in that order. I like quality in the other components as well, but none of them comes close for my fishing needs to a good stick.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 12:22 PM   #3
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Personally I see it as the proper bait with sharp and proper sized hooks. I have caught and brought in decent sized fish with the same lure using a cheap $12 rod and plain spincast reel as I have high dollar setups. To me rods and reels are more about durability than specific usage. I have several durable spinning reels on good rods, they handle everything I need.
I think some people just overthink the entire "need" for high dollar rods and reels for specific presentations, when a much cheaper but still good build quality rod/reel can do the same. The fish isn't going to know or care if you have a $12 rod combo or a $500 setup, the lure is what attracts the fish to bite.

Thats just my preference and outlook on it.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 12:25 PM   #4
rrw4258

While all of these are important, I feel you should never skimp on good hooks, it is the only real connection between you and the fish. If I had to choose a second it would be line because it is the only other thing connecting you to the fish.

Ryan
Old 02-16-11, 12:39 PM   #5
Raul

The only thing in direct contact with the fish is the hook, the only link between you and the fish is the line, so hook and line are the most important element of your setup, you donīt need a rod and a reel to fish but you canīt fish without hook and line.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 01:17 PM   #6
doc

The most important thing to me is the mental aspect of it. Someone who is mentally prepared and has dollar store equipment can beat someone who is not prepared with all the latest and greatest equipment.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 01:44 PM   #7
CiK

I chose "other". To me, more important than anything else, is the ability to put the puzzle together on any given day. One bite doesn't constitute a finished puzzle, just a piece towards the end goal.

*edit* I didn't read the question very well. :-) All the Above works for me. Its a complete package.

Last edited by CiK; 02-16-11 at 01:51 PM.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 01:52 PM   #8
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
The only thing in direct contact with the fish is the hook, the only link between you and the fish is the line, so hook and line are the most important element of your setup, you donīt need a rod and a reel to fish but you canīt fish without hook and line.
I was just about to say that.
Old 02-16-11, 02:21 PM   #9
walkeraviator

Its a package deal. It takes a whole chain of getting things right from the top of your brain the point of the hook. BUt if i had to pick just one item it would be the lure itself. You can have Trokar hooks, Tatsu Line, Calais DC Reel, and NRX rod. But none of it will ever come into play if you cannot coax a fish into biting that lure.

In my book it is about choosing the right lure and knowing how to work that lure properly. BUt then if you dont have the right line or a sensative rod, you may be coaxing them into biting and never even know it. So as stated at the beginning, it is about the complete package.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 02:24 PM   #10
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

What is in direct connection with the fish, the hook. What are you relying on to get him in, the line. So what is the most important part, the knot. There is no telling how many fish I lost until I found the right knot and how many fish I have seen people lose becuase of a bad knot.
Old 02-18-11, 03:19 PM   #11
DVT Mike

IMO the answer to this question changes with the technique. For example, for flipping, all the reel does is hold line. If you're casting large deep-divers as far as possible, the reel becomes more of a factor. For finese bottom baits is where I'd invest the most in the rod, less so for chunk and wind baits.
Old 02-20-11, 09:50 AM   #12
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
IMO the answer to this question changes with the technique. For example, for flipping, all the reel does is hold line. If you're casting large deep-divers as far as possible, the reel becomes more of a factor. For finese bottom baits is where I'd invest the most in the rod, less so for chunk and wind baits.
An interesting point of view on this, Mike, and upon further reflection, I tend to agree. I do a fair amount of fly-rod fishing and with that technique, the reel is just a line storage device, whereas the rod and line together do all the work. But, as the survey appears to be indicating, everything from the bait to the fisherman's hands has its place, and fishing would not be much fun without all these elements.

/
Old 02-20-11, 09:53 AM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Man, this is a toughy. so many. But I really like the connection of what the rod tells me is going on south of the surface. But then again, all I mainly do is plastic fish.
Old 02-20-11, 01:21 PM   #14
mrmuskie5

moot. Mental game is nothing if youre holding a tennis racket on the front deck and that g loomis is worthless without any skills. the sharpest hook in the world wont hook a fish if its still in the pack.... i could go on but you get my point.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-11, 07:40 PM   #15
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

In the essence of it all, I'd say the line is the most important. If you've got crappy line that breaks and tangles all the time, you might as well stay home. A strong argument could also be made for the hook, but I'd rather fish with a dull hook than weak, tangled line.

Now my favorite part(s) is/are probably the least important to being able to fish. Rods and reels of course! You can fish with your line wrapped around a coke bottle, and you can fish with you line tied to the end of a long stick, or even hand-lining. But of course, the rods and reels take the biggest chunk of my cash. I can argue its because they make catch fish easier, or because they work better than cheaper rods and reels, but at the root of it all, I just like nice gear.

BB
Old 02-20-11, 07:49 PM   #16
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The number one thing is the bait/lure. If you don't have what they want to eat, it doesn't matter what you're throwing it with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.