Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-08, 10:58 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Reel/line spooling question

Ok, I've used baitcasters for 25 years almost exclusively and this one has me wondering. I'm about to return a new reel for a refund, but wanted to ask this question first in here. The reel I purchased appears to have a problem with the braking system. I adjust it to where it should work perfectly on the cast, however, when I do cast or flip with this reel it is as though the braking system does not work at all. Despite how I set the brakes, even when they are set tight, the spool spins on a cast as though it is in free spool. Like I said, I've used casting gear for 25 years, so I know what this reel should be doing at the different settings. The main cast control knob by the handle is very hard to turn unless it is turned back almost completely. That makes me wonder to begin with. But with it turned up tight and with the megnetic brakes set to 7, it still over spins on the cast terribly. Here is my question. I have always tied my line to the spool by wrapping the line around the spool and pulling the knot up tight. Never had a problem. THIS TIME, I tied the line through a couple of the holes in the spool rather than around the spool. Then I wound the line onto the spool. Could this be my trouble? Was tying the line to the spool by threading it through a couple of the holes in the spool the wrong thing to do? Would that adversely affect the casting ability of the reel?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 11:05 AM   #2
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I almost always never run line through the wiffle holes. I always wrap it and cinch it down, and my brakes always work.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 12:07 PM   #3
JB

I'd tear it apart and see if something like a spring has come loose, then take it back and get another reel
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 12:14 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd just take it back. If you tear it apart, they may not give you a new one. I don't think it has anything to do with how you tie on the line. Like I said, I'd jsut take it back and get a new one. If that one doesn't work, get a different reel entirely.

BB
Old 04-12-08, 12:39 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Keith, I seriously doubt it is from tying it through the whiffle spool. I do that on all of mine and never have had a problem. Sounds like a defective reel-I'd exchange it.
Old 04-12-08, 04:37 PM   #6
keithdog

Okie Dokie, it's off to BPS I go!!! Thanks guys for your input.
Old 04-12-08, 06:50 PM   #7
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
it's off to BPS I go!!!
You were just looking for and excuse, weren't you. I would return it also, and don't let them give you any crap about not setting it up properly which I bet is their first reaction.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 11:30 PM   #8
keithdog

Ok Bender, you must know me as well as my wife. LOL But ya know, any excuse I can come up with. But they gave me a refund with no problem. And while I didn't buy a new reel today, gonna save for a Revo SX, I did pick up a few things. One of which was a new swim bait made by Yum called the Money Minnow. It's a good lookin bait. Similar to the Luck E Strike Bass Magic. Only I liked the looks of the Yum more. Can't wait to give it a try. I have good vibes about that one. Also picked up several bags of Paca ChunkSr's, a bag of the Strike King Rage Chunks, some PowerBait shaky worms, Chompers weedless football jigs, hooks, ect. A good way to spend a wet, freezing snowy/rainy day.
Old 04-13-08, 11:45 AM   #9
Rebbasser

Keith, I agree that Money Minnow looks good-let us know how you do with it. If you haven't tried that style I'd recommend fishing it on a weighted hook-keeps it from spinning on a straight retrieve.
Old 04-13-08, 12:47 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
A good way to spend a wet, freezing snowy/rainy day.
YESSIR!!!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 03:01 PM   #11
keithdog

Will do Reb. I have nein a 5/0 that is probably a little small from what I can see. I'm going to try to find a 6/0 and 7/0. I'm also thinking of getting a 7/0 wide gap and adding my own weight to the hook. The belly of the Money Minnow is slit open so one could easily hide the weight in the bottom portion of the belly of the lure. I'll be sure to let you know how it works out.
Old 04-13-08, 06:18 PM   #12
keithdog

Just got back from the lake down the road. Wanted to try out that Yum Money Minnow. I only spent about 15 minutes and headed back home. It's cold as all get out, and my fingers were freezing up in minutes. But here is what I found. I was using the 5" size bait. I also was using a weighted 5/0 worm hook. The hook is ok, but a 6/0 would be better. The bait had excellent action. Good swim motion and a slight side to side wobble. The tail moved back and forth smooth and easy. I have no doubt thats going to be a killer lure. My next move will be to find some 6/0 worm hooks. I can weight them myself. I'm thhinking an offset style would probably work best. But I was on line with Cabellas, BPS and The Tackle Warehouse, and I cannot find anything larger than
5/0. I'm sure they are made, just got to find them.
Old 04-13-08, 09:46 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Keith, they do make them:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=netcon
Old 04-13-08, 11:21 PM   #14
keithdog

Thanks Reb. I'll order some. I wonder if one could improve the hook a little by bending the shaft so that the hook point rides slightly higher than the eye of the hook, thus making it more like an offset hook? I would think that would allow the hook point to ride the back of the lure easier and also improve hookups.
Old 04-13-08, 11:45 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Keith-I just saw a report on another site about the Money Minnow. First time out this guy caught a 5 and a 6.5 out of a pond.

Dang baitmonkey.
Old 04-16-08, 03:18 PM   #16
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

I Would Just Take It Back.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.