Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-10, 08:54 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Carrot Stik rods

Little advice please. The local Sportsman Liquiditators has Carot Stik rods on sale for $99.00. These have the Boyd Duckett tags attached so they should be the ones that were well made before Duckett got away from them because of as i heard it poor quality he refused to endorse.
My question is this. The tip specifications are a little confusing. I want to get a rod just for lipless crankbaits and spinner baits. The Carrot stik has about 3 different tip actions. Does anyone know which action is best suited.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 09:15 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

To clear a couple things up, Duckett left (or so he claims) because the production run of rods that he put his name on and endorsed were different than the rods e21 gave him to fish. I'd imagine it was also in part because of e21's horrible customer service and their overall response to the large numbers of broken rods. On the other hand, he could have known about this all along, and just used it as an excuse to leave to start his own rod company.

e21 now claims to have fixed both the breaking rods and customer service issues. The rods no longer feature "carrot fiber," but still claim to include "Nano level Cellulose bio-fibers" in the blank. Sounds like a bunch of marketing crap to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were plain graphite painted orange.

I do have to say, I will never buy a carrot stick. Old one, new one, any of them. I'd say the older ones (before Duckett left) are going to be the ones more susceptible to breaking. Because it was the first production runs and the rods that Duckett put his name on that were the crap ones.

As for the spinnerbait/lipless question. That is probably one of the toughest to give a definite answer to. I've heard people using a wide variety of power and actions for both of these baits. Some like a Moderate action, some a MF, some a F, and some and XF. Some people throw them on crankbait rods, some throw them on rods that you'd normally throw plastics on. The same goes for lipless cranks. M to F.

This really depends on preference. But I'd say a MF or F action would probably be good for both. I don't like throwing lipless baits on a true Moderate action, and I don't like throwing spinnerbaits on an XF action.

BB
Old 11-18-10, 09:40 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm kinda in agreement with BB144 in that for lipless crankbaits I like a 7' Med/F action rod when in mostly open water. If you're going to be ripping them out of grass you'll need to move up to a MH/F. I also don't like a moderate action rod for lipless, diving cranks certainly. Spinnerbaits - I wouldn't use the same rod as I do for the treble hooked lipless baits. I want a little shorter, 6'9" MH/F for those in the 3/8 oz + baits. I do move to a Med/F for the 1/4 ox spinnerbaits on the rare occassion I throw that small a bait. As for Carrot Stix - no comment.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-18-10 at 04:46 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 11:56 AM   #4
cassidyta

I own three of the carrot stix and am very happy with all 3. I did break one two years ago and was very disappointed in the customer service I received. In the interest of full disclosure, mine was broken while E21 was in limbo so that may have been the cause. I did eventually get it replaced, but it took about 4 months. The rod was about 3 months old when it broke between the 3rd and 4th quide on a small bass.

Overall, I find the rods to be good. They are balanced well and have far more backbone than I had expected out of them.

Since I don't throw lipless cranks, I can not comment on the best tip for them.
Old 11-18-10, 05:24 PM   #5
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the 6'9" Parabolic Crankin Carrot Stick for spinnerbaits and lipless cranks in open water. This is also a great rod for shallow cranks.
Old 11-18-10, 06:19 PM   #6
Tavery5

I am a fan of the Carrot Stick rod, I personally own 3. I have had mine for a while now, and I fish an average of 2-3 times a week. I can't comment on their customer service, because I have never had to use them. They are extremely light, very well balanced, and have good sensitivity. The 99 dollar rod should be the Carrot Stick Gold. These have a cork handle and upgraded eyes. I think you will have a hard time finding another rod in the same price range that is as nice as the Carrot Stick Gold. They also come with a lifetime warranty.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.