Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-09, 11:04 AM   #1
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rooster Tails

Hi Guys & Gals! the flyer for the BassPro Classic has a daily special for rooster tails at .99 each. My question is: is this a good bass or crappie lure on a lake? How do you present it and cast it? Is it a good idea to have some in my arsenal? Your input will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-23-09, 11:58 AM   #2
Rickanns
BassFishin.Com Member

I have never used the small spinners for bass fishing. But I can tell you that I have several rooster tails, panther martins, super dupers, and others for trolling for trout in high mountain lakes. Dressed with a little Power Bait, they can be lethal.

Rick
Rickanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 03:09 PM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have seen people throw them in ponds but i have never tried them on ponds or lakes.
Old 02-23-09, 09:46 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ALRIGHT!! look...i love the roostertail spinner. i mostly use the 1/4 and 3/8 ounce sizes. very good spinner for crappie and bass as well as bream. i use it in shallow water alot. while you will not always get really large bass with it (in my case mainly), you will have alot of fun catching fish with them. cast it out and start retrieving it as soon as it hits the water, you'll know when the blade starts spinning, and when it isn't. better to use a open face reel with it. and very light line, 10# for me. favorite colors? white, yellow, greenand yellow (frog looking, or small bram looking), white with a red head, and black. there are alot of color themes. but these are my favorites, fished with them for YEARS. caught a heck of a lot of bass, bream and crappie with em. now with crappie, they have to be in shallow water or along grass edges. if you use the 1/8 oz, you will load the boat with bream i promise. find a bream bed and have fun,lol. i keep lots of roostertails. and i too saw the ad, want to get some too. fantastic price cuz they are normaly around 2 bucks each. get you some, you will have fun.
Old 02-23-09, 09:48 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

An old and forgotten bass lure. I fished small rooster tails and mepps in my pond for years before I seriously got into bass fishing. I think they work good, but I rarely throw them anymore. When I do, I use a larger size 3-5 mepps.

BB
Old 02-23-09, 09:59 PM   #6
fish2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to fish2

I still use them. I have had great success on Lake James dtyukody. I know you fish over there so. Out on the flats over by the resort. I have caught a lot of decent size smallies on them. Like Bama said white, yellow are my favorite colors to use. As to rivers and streams I use them and had success again with them.
Old 02-23-09, 10:04 PM   #7
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyukody View Post
My question is: is this a good bass or crappie lure on a lake? How do you present it and cast it?
I used to use them when I was a kid, good for a small ponds and narrow creeks and sometimes in a river for some white bass or hybrid. Good for trout and bluegills too.

Ike does use it in what he called a "panic box" when nothing else work. He throw it around the docks and stuff like that to fill the limit. Beetle spin is one of other lure he throw in a small panic box.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 10:31 PM   #8
bamabassman

ditto bassbandit, mepps, beetle spins are great too.
Old 02-23-09, 10:34 PM   #9
CMorg

Ike has an inline spinner in his " Emergency kit " I read in a mag once.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 10:45 PM   #10
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome info. Thanks all!
Old 02-24-09, 05:04 PM   #11
Bassboss

They are the only jigs I've ever caught bass on. They work best in cold water. So some reason they work better in the cold rather than a traditional bass jig. Get a few, rabbit hair the best IMO.

Good luck and good fishin'!
Old 02-24-09, 05:07 PM   #12
Bassboss

Rooster tail jigs or spinners?
Old 02-24-09, 06:17 PM   #13
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Rooster tail jigs or spinners?
spinners, not jigs
Old 02-25-09, 03:10 AM   #14
Acm4bass
BassFishin.Com Member

The Rooster Tail is an excellent and underused spotted bass lure. The lure is a multi-species lure for trout, crappie and bass. Not very good in weeds, but otherwise a must have.
Acm4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 09:45 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyukody View Post
spinners, not jigs
Ah! Well now you know how to use a rooster tail jig!
Old 02-25-09, 01:25 PM   #16
Raul

IŽm not going to say " go ahead, get a bunch and catch a loonker ", it donŽt work that way, IŽll say " go ahead, get a bunch and catch lotz of fish ". Rooster Tails are the kind of bait you just got to have "just in case". So just in case of what ? ya know, some of us well seasoned veterans in the art of catching the mean green become well seasoned veterans by learning the art of catching mean greens in those times when ordinary baits ( worms, cranks, sinnerbaits ) donŽt catch even a cold, you gain experience when you catch ..... nuthinŽ! .

There are times and places where even a bare hook will catch fish ( which are rare ), most of the times youŽll catch fish with the most common baits and techniques, but there are times that if you fish with your ordinary baits and techniques you wish you have never left home, those days when after hoursof casting you have achieved nothing, Rooster Tails work on those days , nope, most probably you wonŽt catch a monster with them, but you shure catch fish with them.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 07:21 PM   #17
bamabassman

the rooster tail is one lure that i will ALWAYS have tied on one of my rods. i have used this little spiine for over 30 years. it doesn't catch a big ol sowbelly, it DOES CATCH alot of fish. i use it most every time i am out on the water.
Old 02-25-09, 07:32 PM   #18
Tall

I know last year on a popular lake here in AR that was the best bait going to catch bass for a while. One buddy keeps a camping trailor on the lake and goes every weekend and he does a lot of watching for the bass to make runs and he gets in front of them and uses Rooster Tails and says he does very good on them. A varity of bass may school but he gets several Large mouths doing this. Another buddy was over bass fishing and throwing everything he had and not catching a thing and watched a guy catching bass pretty steady on a Rooster tail. He did not have any then but he does now in his tackle box. I have probably 7-10 in mine for the tough days. It is hard to think to get one and put it on but several friends catches more bass then I are most may think on them.

Spinning reel is best with light line as already mentioned. I guess if you stop and think they can resemble a shad etc. pretty close, esp. in size.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16

Last edited by Tall; 02-25-09 at 08:40 PM.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.