Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-09, 10:39 PM   #1
paducahbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tournament hesitancy

Hi, I've been reading the board for quite a while but have never posted. Looks like a lot of good and experienced anglers on here and I need some input. I want to start fishing the BFL as a co-angler. I'm in Paducah about 20 miles from KY lake. The only reason I haven't done this yet is because I cannot back a boat, I don't own a boat so I don't know much about boats in general, and I don't want to look like an idiot.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you tourney fished and if so, do you think it is a requirement that the co be able to back the boat? At KY Dam Marina it is very busy most of the time and I don't want to feel like a hindrance.

Oh, also nervous about netting fish for the boater, would hate to knock one off---anyone have any experiences like that?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
paducahbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 11:42 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome!

I don't think it is needed that you can back the boat. I would feel better if somebody told me "I don't really have experience and would rather not back your truck up" than hit the dock or anything else while trying. Or many times I get the boat just into the water and I hop in the boat then then my partner will back it the last 15 feet straight in. Parking it isn't too bad, but backing out can be tricky if the lot is small or tight.

I don't have much net experience either since 95% of the time I'm fishing for fun and don't use one. Again just be honest about it and tell him you will hold the net in the water and let him bring the fish into it, or he can show you how he wants to do it.

There are some pretty good articles written about being a co-angler, if I can find one I'll post it up.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:06 AM   #3
3dkicker

You'll get a chance to meet with your partners before fishing at the BFL events. Just come out and tell him/her. It's not a problem. I've dropped my boat many times without help. Same with netting fish. I've taught many inexperienced guys how to do it and they get good at it. Once again not a problem.
For me if my co-angler brings a couple good stories, a couple extra sammiches, and a few $$ to help with gas I'm happy.
Old 05-09-09, 11:55 AM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ditto to what the above said pal. and look, come to the get together this coming weekend, i'll let you pratice backing in my trailer if ya want. no problem cuz the boat will be in the slip already. stay and meet us, fish with us, eat with us. you're 20 iles away, COME on over! it'll be great to see ya. noticed you on here, would like your input on the lake too. need help for those f us that have never fished it. and like i said, i have NO PROBLEM letting you pratice with my rig. i'll help you out. i am grat at teaching, ask my wife. she never backed up anything in her life. now she does better than alot of MEN i have seen.

so come to the get together.
Old 05-09-09, 02:23 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Paducah, you have done the single best thing you could have done...ask for help!!!

I look on Youtube for fishing bloopers, and I find videos of people totally screwing up their boat launch or load, with the person on the video camera talking about what total morons they are. In these same videos I see lots of people standing around, getting impatient with them because they are slowing up the works. What I don't see in the videos is people offering to help. I launched and loaded my 18' boat by myself for the first time a few weeks ago, and honestly, it was be a bit rough with the 20 mph crosswind I had. I had to reverse and take another run at the trailer a couple of times. I could only imagine some people recording the whole thing laughing. I don't like looking like an idiot either, but hey, we all start out rookies. It's not like they teach people to drive their bass boat and trailer in high school.

Kudos to Bama' for offering to mentor you. More people should offer help, and more people should ask for it.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 02:44 PM   #6
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

in less some one hooks a good fish, u will probably not have to net them...most ppl will just swing them unlesss it is on a crankbait.
and to be honest, it is a LOT easier to net your own fish...because you know exactly wut u r trying to do.

one tip i will give you about backing a boat...it sounds stupid...but if u can just take your time and remeber this, u will be fine...and the tip is....when u r looking out the back window, turn the wheel the OPPOSITE way of where u wanna go...if u want the boat to go right, turn the wheel left....it takes some getting used too but once u figure it out it isnt hard,
Old 05-09-09, 02:50 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

don't let any of that stop you from fishing tournaments. i would rather back the boat myself than have someone be scared to tell me that they don't know how and put themselves in a tough spot with people around, or take a chance of tearing something up. i don't care what anyone tells you, we all got nervous when there were people at the ramp watching us when we started. like bama said come on to the get together and take a crack at backing our rigs, you are welcome to practice with mine as well. but if you are just up front with your boater like 3d said, they won't care at all. in fact most of the bfl guys will have buddies that they will have back the boat down the ramp for them anyways. and as for netting a fish, just don't panic and you will be fine. get the net down by the water and just wait, i always tell my partners when to scoop with the net anyways. that way if the fish makes an unexpected run and the net knocks the fish off then it is as much my fault as theirs (something i started doing after my wife knocked a giant off with the net last year). there is too much good info to learn by fishing tourneys, don't miss out on it because of something like being affraid of making a mistake. you will find out it's not nearly as bad as you think it will be.
Old 05-09-09, 02:53 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

I agree with all the posts here so far. If you decide to enter a tournament, be upfront about what you can/can't do, what you don't know, etc, and tell your partner what's up. 95% of fishermen are great guys, and they won't mind showing you a few things.

I'm going to take what spro posted and modify it a little bit...when backing a trailer, put your hand on the inside of the steering wheel at the bottom. If you want the boat to go right, turn your hand to the right, and vice-versa.
Old 05-09-09, 03:14 PM   #9
JB

I think most of had the same apprehensions when we started, it all falls into place after you get a season of tournaments behind ya. Backing a boat in with a truck shell or lid or camper on it can be a challenge if you have never done it and have to depend on the side mirrors. Also about the netting the most seasoned anglers will tell you when to scoop up the fish, most will play the big un's out and glide it over to the net. A lot of newer anglers will freak out and want you to make a dive at the fish the first time it get near the boat, keep your cool and don't net it till the angler tells you to, I've have some big fish knocked off by netters before.
If you sign up as a co angler and put your money in for the tourney, either thier system will match you up to a boater or you'll have to find a boater to get in with before hand, I've been in both situations.
You'll learna lot by fishing tourneys, places to go, presentations, dif lures and boating experience. Like the other guys said almost all the boaters you will fish with in general are ok guys, a few odd balls here n there, or a KIA (know it all) is to be expected...what comes in mind the most is a boater that sticks to one spot all day cuz he's heard in the past the killed em there, and not wanting to move or make a on the water change to whatever the pattern is..
Expect to pay tourney fees, license for any state you fish in, gas fees for boat and the truck, and pack a lunch, your gear, rain gear if needed, and drinks. and take a poop before ya get on board LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 03:39 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

the best way to learn to back a trailer is by using the side mirrors. it is easier to just look over your shoulder out the back glass but sooner or later you will have to back one with a truck that has a tonneau cover or for some other reason won't let you see the trailer by looking over your shoulder and like jb said you will have to use the side mirrors and if you aren't used to using them it is difficult to adjust to using side mirrors quickly. i just look at the side mirrors and if i see too much trailer in one of the mirrors i just turn the wheel that direction. longer trailers give you a little bit more reaction time but take a little longer to get to turn. everyone will give you their advice on backing a trailer, so far all of the advice on here has been sound so when you get the chance to practice just find what works for you and go with it. it really sounds a lot harder than it is.
Old 05-09-09, 08:14 PM   #11
paducahbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for all the help and encouraging words, especially to Bama man. I may just take you up on that offer. I figure that I just need to get over the nervousness and make the jump.

As for KY lake right now, it is on fire. Just got back from a Stren weigh-in and most fish are being caught by flipping a sweet beaver or throwing a deep diving crankbait. The lake is up right now and there is A LOT of flooded cover. It should still be up throughout the week. Most of the BIG fish are being caught on the south end of KY lake near Paris, TN. This is about a 75 mile ride from Ky Dam marina but there are some big ones down there. Had a few 8 lbers come from down there this week in the Stren.

For a great Ky/Barkley lake report go to www.explorekentuckylake.com , click on Fishing and look for Dave Stewart's fishing report. He is the #1 guide in the area and breaks it down real nice for you.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, hope to meet you all this week.
Old 05-10-09, 08:48 AM   #12
aikenyounggun

dont worry about backin a boat.... Swimbaitkid fishes the BFL and they aint gonna ask him to back the boat b/c hes 16..... same here too..... and i dont feel comfortable loading other peoples boat even tho i have done my dad hundreds of times just b/c i wouldnt want to hurt it...... just tell your boater what you are comortable with and ask him how he want his fish netted

how to net fish: 1: dont keep the net in the water , fish will wrap the line around it 2: be patient, let him calm down the fish, play it out 3: come to surface, net him
Old 05-10-09, 10:38 AM   #13
bamabassman

we will look for you at the get together bud! come on down, it'll be great. and like i said, i need all the help i can get. you can show me where that place is on mississippiboy's map. READY FO DIS ONE GANG!
Old 05-10-09, 10:54 AM   #14
zooker

belive me you tell a boater your not comfortable backin his baby in..trust me he'll back it in him self..

i drive for a living and the major high rock launch is southmount. equiped with "curbed" launch lanes. which are diffacult at best to back in to in the dark.i do it all the time but refuse letting someone else do it..

zooker
Old 05-10-09, 08:29 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think you should definately fish the tournaments.

Honestly, if I was a tourny angler, I wouldn't let someone back my boat in no matter how good they were. Nowdays anything that would happen would immediatly be a lawsuit. So IF your tourny partner asks or offers to let you put the boat in, then tell them your not comfortable doing so.

BB
Old 05-11-09, 11:17 PM   #16
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

In regards to netting a fish, don't worry if you knock one off. Sure it can be awkward and the boater might be pissed but the bottom line is simple: if he didn't have you to knock it off, he would have never got it in the boat anyway. If a net will knock off a fish then swinging it aboard or lipping it from the front deck would probably not work either. He should have gotten a better hook set. If all boaters knew this the world would be a better place.

Disclaimer: this post is coming from a boater who has lost several fish due to netting "errors" by his co-anglers although this boater has not been mad at them, only himself. Not all boaters are as understanding as the author of this post. Disclaimer: Knocking a fish off a hook may result in black eyes, decreased self-esteem, awkward silences, and can generally ruin an otherwise great tournament. Knocking a fish off with a net is not advised under any circumstance.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 11:32 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

Fear not. Just let your boater know and there shouldn't be a problem. Just have fun!
Old 05-12-09, 12:39 AM   #18
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBorger View Post

Disclaimer: Knocking a fish off a hook may result in black eyes, decreased self-esteem, awkward silences, and can generally ruin an otherwise great tournament.
Don't forget that you also may experience wet clothes/wallet/cellphone, etc...
Old 05-12-09, 02:50 AM   #19
DUCY?
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
the best way to learn to back a trailer is by using the side mirrors. it is easier to just look over your shoulder out the back glass but sooner or later you will have to back one with a truck that has a tonneau cover or for some other reason won't let you see the trailer by looking over your shoulder and like jb said you will have to use the side mirrors and if you aren't used to using them it is difficult to adjust to using side mirrors quickly. i just look at the side mirrors and if i see too much trailer in one of the mirrors i just turn the wheel that direction. longer trailers give you a little bit more reaction time but take a little longer to get to turn. everyone will give you their advice on backing a trailer, so far all of the advice on here has been sound so when you get the chance to practice just find what works for you and go with it. it really sounds a lot harder than it is.
I agree with this,the shiny things on the sides are there for a reason! I think backing a boat is very easy to learn if you use the side mirrors and remember that when you turn the wheels to the left, the trailer with go right and vice versa.
DUCY? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 02:56 AM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Another plus that my Grandpa taught me was to back up in neutral and let the boat pull the truck, not let the truck push the boat. Maybe he just didn't want my foot to slip off the brake and use the truck as another high dollar lure. As far as netting a fish, all you can do is your best. If it doesn't make it to the boat, it just wasn't meant to be.
Old 05-12-09, 05:56 PM   #21
bamabassman

are y acoming to the event? come on man, it'll be fun. also if you have a riding mower and a dump trailer. practice with it. once you can back a trailer with a mower in a straight line for say 50 ft, you can back ANYTHING. and like i said, i'll let you practice with mine, and i'll help ya out.
Old 05-12-09, 11:34 PM   #22
t1365
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't let that stuff stop you. I've fished the co-angler side and moved to the front deck this year. I usually get to the ramp and put in early anyway so its no big deal and when I'm not there early there are buddies around to help with the loading and unloading just to keep traffic moving at the ramp. Its no requirement and I don't know anybody who just assumes their coangler can back a trailer. If you can't just tell your boater. Really its no big deal. As far as netting goes....talk to your boater about it before the time comes to net a fish. I net everything in a tourney and will tell my guy when I'm ready for him to scoop if needed. Again, don't let that stuff stop you. Get out there and fish some tourneys.
t1365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 08:16 AM   #23
paducahbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Bama, I plan on stopping by Friday after work, probably around 3:30 or so. I'll find you if you are around. Thanks for the offer.
Old 05-13-09, 10:02 AM   #24
jcw1503

The only thing that can make you better is practice. THe first time i backed a boat trailer it was a nightmare. People laughing and everything. But Now, I can back it better than most of the people there. Like Mississppi said, it is easier to start off backing a boat with your hands like that. THere is other things that you will be thinking about. But you should never do anything outside your comfort level especially when it envolves someone elses expensive rig. My advice, find someone who does not mind and practice. Practice does not make perfect, but it does make you better.
Old 05-13-09, 10:28 AM   #25
fishin spro

also, if possible...try to find somewhere u can practice without a bunch of people around...ppl laughing at you can piss you off fast.
when i was trying to learn, i took my dads jon boat to an old walmart parking lot and practiced backing it up the loading ramps.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.