Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-09, 09:59 PM   #1
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Drop Shot & Jigs Questions

Well, I finally went to logging in to start replying to you guys. Been reading the forums 2 times a day though Kevin this is the best bass fishing site ever! I've seen all the videos and studied them seeing that I fish junior b.a.s.s here in New Mexico ( a bag limit of 10 lbs is a monster bag limit no joke). Pretty much I have been working on lately it new techniques.

I have successfully learned jigging as I had caught two 4 lbers in super heavy cover for the first time in an hours period and now I would like to learn drop shot. I have just about everything I need except a rod and a reel now. I don't use spincasters often all I usually use is baitcasters. What I need to know is a good setup what do you guys use? And line I know i need like 6lb fluoro but what kind do you guys use? What is your preference? All the area around here is rocky so I wanted to know how to fish that more in depth.

I have read lots or articles (thanks google) also on the rod and the reel. I would like to spend 150 bucks or less on reel and 150 or less on rod. I really want a Loomis but that will take more $$$ that I don't have.

Also for jigging what brand jigs do you guys use? I have been enjoying Strike King but I notice that down here a fish is hard to come by, so I want a smaller hook and a bigger jig. I've been using a bigger jig (with a bigger hook) and a Berkley Chigger Craw and the fish tear the heck out of it!!!

Thanks,
GF3
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 10:37 PM   #2
BeaverIslander

I wouldn't go crazy on a premium drop shot setup until you know if you like the technique and it works for you.

I would recommend a St. Croix Premier, 7' 6" Med Light rod with a Shimano Saros reel. I use the same combo for drop shot and Walleye spinners but I chose a St. Croix Avid instead. I love the control you have with a 7' 6" ML. I used to use it for many years for Mississippi River smallie wading before I bought a bass boat this year. AWESOME wading rod...7' 6" ML.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 07:24 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

With the dropshot, I would definately get the best gear you can afford. The bites are sometimes so subtle, you can't even feel them, so a sensitive rod is a must. And with light line, you want a reel with a good drag so you don't lose any fish due to your drag sticking and snapping the line.

I prefer spinning reels (not spincasting) for dropshotting, but you could use a baitcaster.

I use a 7'2" M shimano Crucial dropshot rod, and this thing is aweseome. I went with the M over ML since I use it in the Detroit river with 1/4-3/8oz DS weights. When I'm not using it in the river, I use 1/8-3/16 oz. The ML will cover the smaller weights normally used with DS perfectly. Whatever rod you get, make sure it has a Fast or Extra Fast action, the latter being better, but both will work. I do believe the Shimano Crucial DS rods come in a trigger rod too.

For a reel, right now, I use a cheap Abu, and need to upgrade. I'm looking into another Pflueger Supreme or a Shimano Saros. If you use a baitcaster, I'd get a Daiwa Sol. It is a bit more expensive than you wanted, but I think it'll work great with the light weights and line.

For line, I use 10lb braid with a 6-8lb fluoro leader. I like the braid because it gives more sensitivity, and doesn't twist like mono or fluoro. But straight 6-8lb fluoro will work great too.

BB
Old 10-05-09, 10:24 AM   #4
rodnreel

I highly recommend the Shimano Saros. I have one and it is the best spinning reel I've used. It has a great drag and a big spool. I would also recommend getting the oversized handle/grip as this helps a lot with reeling in bigger fish. It might be a personal preference, but the bigger size feels better in my hand and really makes me feel like a have better control over the fish.
Old 10-05-09, 01:56 PM   #5
JerseyFisher

For DS I use the St. Croix Mojo Bass drop shot rod and a Shimano Sedona. Nothing high end at all. the rod was around $90 and the reel between $50-60. I have been using Kanji drop shot weights (3/16 and 1/4), But I am probably going to switch to the BPS drop shot weights because they are cheaper and you get more quantity. I don't see a big difference in tungsten vs. lead in performance. For line I like PLine CX Premium 8lb test, it's a co-polymer. As for bait I like roboworm's 4.5' straight tail worm and Jackall's cross tail shad. I find all colors of the roboworms to work very well.

Hope this helps.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 02:24 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Since you're starting out, you DO NOT NEED a drop shot specific rod. Heck, you might learn that you don't even like the technique! Just joking, but it could happen. As you gain experience, you will come to learn what you want out of a rod for this technique.

Any moderate to fast action rod with a medium light to medium power and a length from 6'6 to 7'2" should serve you well.

Did you mean spinning reels? A spincaster reel is the kind that you find on barbie and snoopy rods.

If you haven't, and it seems you have not, I highly recommend you take the time to learn to use spinning reels. Any 2000 to 2500 sized spinning reel will work too. Reels are tools and while some tools can do multiple things some will do some things better than others. No pro out there fishes one reel type exclusively. That should tell you something. It would behoove you to master both. You can use a casting reel, but there are other things that make a spinning reel ideal for drop shotting.

I fish rocks most of the time and as long as the line doesn't drag on the rocks, 6# will be excellent. Matter of fact, it is my line of choice.

I highly recommend that you take advantage of the search function on this site. There are countless posts and thread on the drop shot and jigs that I know you will find helpful. I wrote a piece about drop shotting that you should be able to dig up.

Warning ... drop shotting is as addictive as it is effective.

Last edited by islandbass; 10-05-09 at 02:32 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 09:40 AM   #7
gonefishin3

Oops Yes I meant a spinning reel. I have heard that that is by far what I need for drop shot rigging. The few guys that know how to do it around here are doing great in the tournaments so I'm looking into it. They keep telling us "kids" that its not that great and that we shouldn't be using it. I say there hogging fish
Old 10-06-09, 07:52 PM   #8
danielbasspro

I would use a conquistador jig with the trailer that it comes with or you could use a Gene Larew Craw.
Old 10-06-09, 08:08 PM   #9
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post
I would use a conquistador jig with the trailer that it comes with or you could use a Gene Larew Craw.
danielbasspro: Could you elaborate a bit as to why you'd use a "Conquistador Jig" or "Gene Larew Craw"? Thank you.
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 09:09 AM   #10
gonefishin3

Islandbass, Thank you for helping me with that search thingy it really helps a lot you are the master of dropshotting ! Wow you had a lot of post towards that topic. Thank you guys for all your help now on jigs I'm told to use 17 lb mono for flipping and such is this correct ? What type of baits do I want to look for when drop shot rigging ? I have sluggos and beavers and such and maybe a few sassy shads that I could hook up on there and where/how do I fish it I have a good spot on my lake where I can drop it by the boat and drag it can you cast and retrieve?
Old 10-07-09, 11:34 AM   #11
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Gone fishing when fishing a jig I would stay away from mono. Flurocarbon would be the better choice its stronger, more abrasion resistant, and is more sensitive, and I go with any test over 12lbs and maybe even use briaded line with a fluro leader for more sensitivy. As far as dropshot baits go 4' dropshot worms like chompers, berkley, reaction innvoations, and robo worm, but dont limit your self to the standard I like to throw 7' berkley worms and longer robo worms. Really anything that has alot of shake to it!
Old 10-07-09, 05:16 PM   #12
danielbasspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forums Admin View Post
danielbasspro: Could you elaborate a bit as to why you'd use a "Conquistador Jig" or "Gene Larew Craw"? Thank you.
Because they catch lots of fish and their hooks are super strong. Are you talking flippin jigs, or football jigs? And for the drop shot I use 10 lb Trilene 100% fluorocarbon and I use my shimano clarus 7' with my abu garcia black maxx reel. Its just what I like to use I know many guys always use spinning for drop shot but this setup will work just fine.

Last edited by danielbasspro; 10-07-09 at 05:24 PM.
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 08:05 PM   #13
gonefishin3

Flipping mostly but there is lots of rocks where i fish so i want to football jig as well so any info is good ^_^ would you guys recommenced the quantum energy pti ? Ive never went and looked for a spinning reel to buy so I don't know quite what to look for thanks,
GF3
Old 10-08-09, 02:59 PM   #14
zooker

Yeah gone fishing I use that reel myself for shakey head fishing. As for jigs, a football 1/4oz jig with a ultra vibe trailer has been my producer.

Been on a tear this year with a tuck special.

zooker
Old 10-08-09, 03:22 PM   #15
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
Islandbass, Thank you for helping me with that search thingy it really helps a lot you are the master of dropshotting ! Wow you had a lot of post towards that topic. Thank you guys for all your help now on jigs I'm told to use 17 lb mono for flipping and such is this correct ? What type of baits do I want to look for when drop shot rigging ? I have sluggos and beavers and such and maybe a few sassy shads that I could hook up on there and where/how do I fish it I have a good spot on my lake where I can drop it by the boat and drag it can you cast and retrieve?

Anytime!

As I mention in my piece, experiment for lure selection. Try a tube, try a beaver, whatever. There is no law on the books that says you have to use only worm types. A good choice to start would be 3" senkos and roboworms but the sky is the limit.

There is also no law that says it's a vertically exclusive technique, because it isn't. I cover the most common ways I choose to retrieve it in that same piece. 100% of my bass caught on the drop shot are from the shore.
Old 10-08-09, 03:42 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Some of my favorite dropshot baits are stright tailed worms (like roboworms), but I use zoom swamp crawlers cause they're easier to find around here. I also like a finesse worm. tiny flukes work great, especially in early spring. I've also used Yum Dingers, and baby brush hogs. I recently tried wacky rigging the bait, and will definately be doing this again.

The sky is the limit with a DS when it comes to baits. I'm sure you can catch fish on just about any plastic on it.

BB
Old 10-08-09, 08:39 PM   #17
gonefishin3

zook,
Thanks ! what rod do you use with this ? my junior bass fishing club is going to put in an order because we dont have any shops around :/ stinks right ? I know shakey needs the same type of combo right ? also is there anything else you guys recommend i put on that order that might be a must have ?

Island,
How do you fish it from shore down is it pretty easy to cast with it ? ive read a little about it they say move it a foot or two and shake it and repeat...

bb144,
Just about anything i suppose ^_^ looks like i can throw any plastic the fish are likeing on a DS rig that is interesting.

Also i have purchased octopus hooks from gamagatsu as these looked pretty close to what i need am i correct ? And do you guys really prefer tungsten for this ? What type of line do you guys like i know 6lb floro but name brands would be ausome
Old 10-08-09, 09:03 PM   #18
BigBassin144

For the hooks, I use Gamakatsu's Dropshot/splitshot hook probably 95% of the time. The other 5%, I use the Owner Dropshot hook for weedless t-rigging.

For weights, I think tungsten is a waste of money with the DS. The whole point of a DS weight is that the line comes out of the little clip so if it gets hung, you don't lose the whole rig. I use lead and prefer a teardrop shape weight for most instances, but will go to a tall, narrow weight for fishing rocks.

I haven't tried them yet, but I like the idea of the stamped weight on these. (Skinny Bear DS weights)

BB
Old 10-08-09, 09:38 PM   #19
gonefishin3

BB,
Interesting yes what i am fishing is mostly rocks i also like the idea but i think its kinda a gimmik ^_^ i will look them up in a sec i have to finish writeing a paper due tomarow :/ lol wish it was about fishing ^_^
Old 10-08-09, 10:01 PM   #20
Bender

Since you are also considering shaky heads I would suggest a rod that is better suited to both and you can use for other things as well. I have 4 or 5 drop shot rods and my favorite for light weights was the Crucial 6'8", but it didn't work well with 1/2 oz.+ weights and is maybe too light action for most other things. I like the 7'2" Crucial for more of an all around rod. It would be good for shaky heads, super for tubes, etc. 95% of the time now I use a 6'10" Fenwick drop shot rod though.

As far as the hooks I go back and forth between Gammy Split shot/drop shot #2 and Lazer Sharp Wide Bends, #8 I think. I like the twist in the Lazer Sharps but I have bent many recently so I'll probably stick with the Gammys in the future. There are a ton of hooks out there with special features but I like the simple one. The only other one you might consider trying is a pack of the Owner drop shot hooks since you can Texas rig your baits on those if you are in weeds.

I use lead sinkers since I make them for myself and they are cheap. I fish a lot of rocks and can go through 20 in a day around here. No way could I afford tungsten doing that.

As far as line goes I tried braid with a leader and it was good, but for me not worth the hassle when breaking off a lot. I use 6# and 8# InvizX. The water is dirty here so I have gone up to 8. Ideally I'd like to try some of that fancy 7# next year. Line is tricky because too heavy and you might not get bit and it has a lot more resistance going deep. Line all depends on where you are fishing IMO.

I think the reel is the least important, as long as it is of good quality with a good drag. I use 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 sizes. I like the 1500 and 2000 best, but they are hard to find. I haven't used the new ones, but I have a lot of Symetres and have had zero problems with any of them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 11:43 PM   #21
islandbass

BB and Gone F,

The teardrops are fine for rocks. This is my preferred weight.

GoneF,

To answer your question, just drag it back to you and read my piece. All of your questions are addressed in it. And yes, a ds rig is easily cast, especially on light line.
Old 10-09-09, 09:29 AM   #22
gonefishin3

Bender,
Very interesting yes looks like were in the same type of water dark green and brown sometimes I might pick up some of the 7Lb line and tell you how it does ^_^ do i use the same brand? I want the 8 lb line for tubes and I don't think 6 would be good for that and I don't know about 7...

Island,
Well I'll order some of those in ^_^
Old 10-09-09, 11:13 AM   #23
Bender

I'd say 8 or 10# for tubes and a 2500 size reel would probably be best all around. The only company I know making 7# line is Sunline, the FC Sniper comes in 7# and is $$$. Shop around and look for a deal though.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 11:24 AM   #24
gonefishin3

Thanks you guys you have really helped me out

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.